British Speedway Forum
eaglesno1

Eastbourne 2019

4 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

I think they could have signed any rider from the EU; ie: not needing a permit.

Very true but its a limited amount that are any good at Championship level. Obviously Erik Riss. Eastbourne should be congratulated for what they chose to do but the PR spin was a little bit cheeky IMO.

52 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Very true but its a limited amount that are any good at Championship level. Obviously Erik Riss. Eastbourne should be congratulated for what they chose to do but the PR spin was a little bit cheeky IMO.

I agree that there are only a few EU riders who are OK in Championship but accept there is probably more dross than gold. Also, going for UK riders meant there were no air fares to pay which really was a crippling factor in the last few years of Eastbourne in the Elite League.

The PR spin may have been "cheeky" but it turned a negative into a positive which is what PR is all about.

In truth, speedway as a whole could do with a bit more "cheeky" PR -- go back 40 years and the promoters of that era cold spin faster than a tumble dryer -- and look at the publicity that gave their clubs and the sport as a whole in the national press.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richard Weston said:

I agree that there are only a few EU riders who are OK in Championship but accept there is probably more dross than gold. Also, going for UK riders meant there were no air fares to pay which really was a crippling factor in the last few years of Eastbourne in the Elite League.

The PR spin may have been "cheeky" but it turned a negative into a positive which is what PR is all about.

In truth, speedway as a whole could do with a bit more "cheeky" PR -- go back 40 years and the promoters of that era cold spin faster than a tumble dryer -- and look at the publicity that gave their clubs and the sport as a whole in the national press.

It's also a fact I'd have thought that any Saturday / Sunday track in UK will struggle to sign European riders not just because of Poland but also a lot of meeting on shale, grass and sand across the Continent on a Sunday every week.

I look at some of the Northern CL Teams stacked full of johnny foreigners and think well done to any Club that picks British when possible.

sensible positive Spin and PR is sadly lacking at too many Speedway Clubs so any that actually do some "promoting" should be applauded not chastised. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HGould said:

It's also a fact I'd have thought that any Saturday / Sunday track in UK will struggle to sign European riders not just because of Poland but also a lot of meeting on shale, grass and sand across the Continent on a Sunday every week.

I look at some of the Northern CL Teams stacked full of johnny foreigners and think well done to any Club that picks British when possible.

sensible positive Spin and PR is sadly lacking at too many Speedway Clubs so any that actually do some "promoting" should be applauded not chastised. 

A lot easier to have British riders when down south due to the fact that most riders are based south of manchester/yorkshire yet majority of teams in this league are northern. The riders don’t want to be driving 10 hour round trips to home meetings every week, hence why a lot of Danes go to the northern teams and use edinburgh and newcastle airport to fly in and out of.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

A lot easier to have British riders when down south due to the fact that most riders are based south of manchester/yorkshire yet majority of teams in this league are northern. The riders don’t want to be driving 10 hour round trips to home meetings every week, hence why a lot of Danes go to the northern teams and use edinburgh and newcastle airport to fly in and out of.

Tell that to Rich Lawson

5 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

In all fairness it was regarded and publicised as a great hurrah that Eastbourne fielded an all British team but in reality a new promotion cannot sign any sponsored overseas riders in the first year. Will be interesting to see how British the side is next year.  

If you count the Spillers as British,  7 again I reckon :).

35 minutes ago, gazzac said:

If you count the Spillers as British,  7 again I reckon :).

Spillers born in Kent - makes them Brits.

25 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Broc Nicol wasn't and i make him nailed on to be an Eagle next year.

Would fit the back to the future theme being promoted at Eastbourne -- they had some colourful, shall we say, Americans in days gone by.

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Broc Nicol wasn't and i make him nailed on to be an Eagle next year.

I hope you're right, but think they'll be a queue unfortunately, he's certainly been the most impressive away rider this year. Still think of the excitement Kelly Moran generated every meeting, possibly my best memories at Arlington.

5 hours ago, gazzac said:

I hope you're right, but think they'll be a queue unfortunately, he's certainly been the most impressive away rider this year. Still think of the excitement Kelly Moran generated every meeting, possibly my best memories at Arlington.

Ron Preston was a great rider as well.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, gazzac said:

There might be a queue but as one of many Hagon sponsored riders this year (they have gone nuts) i still think the South Coast is nailed on.

Can't see Broc riding for a Saturday Team as I think the next nut they will try to crack is "Poland".

Can't see the point of him riding for a "small track" team either, plan should be to improve on bigger European type circuits, he can ride tracks like Eastbourne with his eyes shut.

He will want to be following Luke Becker in exploring European scene and therefore a midweek track would suit a lot better as he could ride PL on Monday / Thursday and have a "Home base" in CL also midweek.

Fanciful thinking I know but Birmingham would suit him perfectly! :drink:

Hagon connection to Eastbourne hagon connection to Dugard’s. I’m pretty sure Broc will be riding at Eastbourne next year. 

• Like 1