British Speedway Forum
eaglesno1

Eastbourne 2019

1 hour ago, jenga said:

very good heat . as they say , that was worth the entrance fee alone . track looks better than the normal ploughed field . never seen  a bad meeting at sheff any time i have been there . 

at times when I have been has been too much dirt on, and that means nearest the fence wins every race. Good to see passing inside and out and a lovely surface yesterday. Hope that will continue as when Owlerton is good, it is as good as any of the bigger tracks.

• Like 1

Was a great meeting to watch ,The track was really good to race according to the 2 riders I spoke to and i was told it was  stewart Dickson that did the track for this meeting 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just had an hour at Press & Practice,  Richard Lawson turned up late and did not have a ride before the photo call but otherwise they looked pretty quick.

Biggest surprise was Alfie Bowtell, I missed him last year but he used to be uncertain at Arlington however he looked a vastly different rider today. The other thing of note was that Ben Morley wore the No 2 Jacket and Bowtell No 4.

The one who looked to have a bit of a problem was Lewis Kerr,  Quick enough but will need practice making the sharp turns, it should not be a handicap as most visitors will also be having first sight of the track and no doubt he will soon get dialled in.

The only 'visitor' was Jason Edwards who did not look out of place at all and looks nailed on for No 7 in 2020. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hunters said:

Just had an hour at Press & Practice,  Richard Lawson turned up late and did not have a ride before the photo call but otherwise they looked pretty quick.

Biggest surprise was Alfie Bowtell, I missed him last year but he used to be uncertain at Arlington however he looked a vastly different rider today. The other thing of note was that Ben Morley wore the No 2 Jacket and Bowtell No 4.

The one who looked to have a bit of a problem was Lewis Kerr,  Quick enough but will need practice making the sharp turns, it should not be a handicap as most visitors will also be having first sight of the track and no doubt he will soon get dialled in.

The only 'visitor' was Jason Edwards who did not look out of place at all and looks nailed on for No 7 in 2020. 

Would have to disagree with you. Lewis  looked fast and smooth today.  He will be fantastic for the eagles this year

45 minutes ago, Hazza29 said:

Would have to disagree with you. Lewis  looked fast and smooth today.  He will be fantastic for the eagles this year

Agree, Lewi nailed some very good laps. 

He will follow Jake and Josh as being great imports from Norfolk into Arlo

On 3/24/2019 at 12:16 PM, HGould said:

Interestingly I read my speedway star yesterday and saw that a rule change in Championship is that Team Average allowance will increase to 40 points from 30th June, then i read about Spillers, Daniel in particular; made it in to several U23 European Rounds last season. What would his CL average be 5 points??. Could I suspect come in for one of the bottom 4 on average and make a big impact? 

That's true although by the 30 June I would expect just about every team will be averaging above 40 since the starting point is so low below the base mark of 42. As an example if you have someone signed on 5.00 at the beginning of the season and his GS average has dropped to 3.00 by 30 June. It is likely that the other six will have increased there averages so that the team total is over 40. Then you would only be able to replace him with another 3.00 (or lower) rider. 

Wish the Lakeside Eagles (or should that be the Eastbourne Hammers)  the very best of luck on their newly adopted track at Arlington.  

One can only wonder if Jon cook has accepted the offer of riding the Hammers remaining league fuxtures at Arlington last season whether Cook's Hammers would have been CL champions last season.

Anyhow with the majority of riders and personnel from Lakeside, with a sprinkling of up and coming youngsters from Eastboune's NL outfit - they are keeping the torch of professional speedway in Southern England alive.

Maybe Cook's continuing efforts to resurrect Lakeside will bring about some local derbies in 2020. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Wish the Lakeside Eagles (or should that be the Eastbourne Hammers)  the very best of luck on their newly adopted track at Arlington.  

One can only wonder if Jon cook has accepted the offer of riding the Hammers remaining league fuxtures at Arlington last season whether Cook's Hammers would have been CL champions last season.

Anyhow with the majority of riders and personnel from Lakeside, with a sprinkling of up and coming youngsters from Eastboune's NL outfit - they are keeping the torch of professional speedway in Southern England alive.

Maybe Cook's continuing efforts to resurrect Lakeside will bring about some local derbies in 2020. 

Not sure whether you are being a bit mischeivious there ?? LOL

I'm pretty sure if you cut Jon Cook in half he would be an Eastbourne man, isn't that where he started out and made his name.

Lawson; Morley and Bowtell from Lakeside will do well there, Eddie Kennett is Eastbourne through and through, Kerr just loves to race and the others are NL riders moving up.

Be interesting whether my Brummies or the Eagles do best of the Clubs moving up.

What other "personnel" have followed Cook from Lakeside to Eastbourne, Geer and Bellerby the Promoters are long term Eastbourne men aren't they???

I do agree its great to see a Professional team from South in Speedway, they should have a huge catchment area, especially on a Saturday night from their own, Lakeside, Rye House, all the old London Clubs too - especially South of the River. They seem to have done some very good marketing and having a real go, good luck to them. 

27 minutes ago, HGould said:

I'm pretty sure if you cut Jon Cook in half he would be an Eastbourne man, isn't that where he started out and made his name.

Lawson; Morley and Bowtell from Lakeside will do well there, Eddie Kennett is Eastbourne through and through, Kerr just loves to race and the others are NL riders moving up.

Be interesting whether my Brummies or the Eagles do best of the Clubs moving up.

What other "personnel" have followed Cook from Lakeside to Eastbourne, Geer and Bellerby the Promoters are long term Eastbourne men aren't they???

I do agree its great to see a Professional team from South in Speedway, they should have a huge catchment area, especially on a Saturday night from their own, Lakeside, Rye House, all the old London Clubs too - especially South of the River. They seem to have done some very good marketing and having a real go, good luck to them. 

Eastbourne will do far better imo...simply due to 'home' track advantage.

Personally, I'm just happy to see 'Championship' racing.....win or lose....

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to saturdays meeting. Fresh blood is always a good thing. The weather looks fine so bring it on.

18 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

The Hammers should have moved to Arlington last year. Going to Rye was a predictable disaster, an awful experience for those of us that had to endure it. As for the new venue in Essex, I'm not holding my breath.

4 hours ago, Mike.Butler said:

glad to see you've perked up a bit Tony....

It's the thought of seeing you on Saturday Mike!

On 4/3/2019 at 6:56 AM, HGould said:

You can add the team manager Will Pottinger to the 2018 Lakeside staff following J Cook to Eastbourne. 

I thought we were going to have matching team suits this year as we usually have but there was no evidence of that in the team photo or at P&P on Tuesday.

Hope we have them tonight or it will be a backward step in my view.

• Like 1