British Speedway Forum
eaglesno1

Eastbourne 2019

23 hours ago, HGould said:

Eastie fans i spoke to at Leicester yesterday seem to think Jordan is off to Plymouth and Connor Dugard coming back to run Speedway with Jon Cook and set up some kind of Junior Academy track at back of Stadium. 

I heard the same rumour on Saturday. Far too many 'Cooks' spoil the brew!

Interesting that Mr J Cook slagged off the NL and it's riders in his programme notes earlier in the season ... now there's rumour of a junior academy re appearing at Arlington. 

Does he think the academy will provide riders for his Eatbourne team ? or to be loaned out the NL he clearly dislikes ? 

11 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Interesting that Mr J Cook slagged off the NL and it's riders in his programme notes earlier in the season ... now there's rumour of a junior academy re appearing at Arlington. 

Does he think the academy will provide riders for his Eatbourne team ? or to be loaned out the NL he clearly dislikes ? 

Doubt there will be a NL in 2020 the way things are going. Can't see Cradley running, Stoke gone.

How about Kent making a big leap into the top division-- everyone says they are well run and supported.

Granted the NL 2020  looks very shaky.  Maybe Eastbourne will run a CL team in 2020 alongside their PL team if the academy gets off the ground ? They certainly have enough CL standard riders they could use.  

Cannot see Len taking a club into the PL on Monday nights starting at 6.30pm with thier current planning constraints.Not sure I can see Len running a team in the PL ...period. He runs the speedway at Sittingbourne as regular weekly entertainment with a full fixture list throughout the season. Don't see how that is remotely possible in either the PL or the CL? 

Travelling support would be non existent outside of the local Kent area with a 6.30pm start. 

Championship is currently  a no go on a Monday night .... maybe 2020 might be very different  ??

23 hours ago, gazzac said:

Shame they took the old one out a few years ago, always thought it was a mistake, although was getting a bit tired. 

The removal of the junior track was one of the most harmful things to happen to British speedway in the last 15 years. How many riders have missed out on vital track time or even missed out on becoming speedway riders since its demise we will never know. What i do know is that the destruction of training tracks is a huge crime towards the sport. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

The removal of the junior track was one of the most harmful things to happen to British speedway in the last 15 years. How many riders have missed out on vital track time or even missed out on becoming speedway riders since its demise we will never know. What i do know is that the destruction of training tracks is a huge crime towards the sport. 

As a matter of interest, I obviously know the one at Arlington,  but have there many over the years at other places?

Can’t see Dugard running a team. I recall his interest in rye house but when you speak to him at Arlington he says how he enjoys being able to arrive a lot later and enjoying the less responsibility.

gazzac  - Lakeside had one in the last few seasons of their existence - run originally by George Barclay, then taken over by Paul Hurry.  Iwade near Sittingbourne is still running.  Kingsl Lynn used to have a junior track inside thier existing circuit run by Olle Nygren. (don't think that's still there) 

1 hour ago, old bob at herne bay said:

gazzac  - Lakeside had one in the last few seasons of their existence - run originally by George Barclay, then taken over by Paul Hurry.  Iwade near Sittingbourne is still running.  Kingsl Lynn used to have a junior track inside thier existing circuit run by Olle Nygren. (don't think that's still there) 

Reading and Sheffield also had training tracks inside the stadium grounds.

21 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

Reading and Sheffield also had training tracks inside the stadium grounds.

The track at Sheffield closed when the safety fence was declared unsafe by Colin Meredith. Pity really as they used to run an open session on Saturdays. Turn up, pay your £40 and you got a bike, fuel, day licence, racing gear, everything to have a skid for the day (30 - 40 laps). I tried my hand at becoming the next world champ there for a while. Even had a half share in bike. 

1 minute ago, False dawn said:

The track at Sheffield closed when the safety fence was declared unsafe by Colin Meredith. Pity really as they used to run an open session on Saturdays. Turn up, pay your £40 and you got a bike, fuel, day licence, racing gear, everything to have a skid for the day (30 - 40 laps). I tried my hand at becoming the next world champ there for a while. Even had a half share in bike. 

Fair play to you. My speedway career ended half way around the first bend at Wimbledon, with the safety fence on top of me!

1 minute ago, cityrebel said:

Fair play to you. My speedway career ended half way around the first bend at Wimbledon, with the safety fence on top of me!

Hey, I tried hard, but I was never any good. My record was 6 falls in 6 laps. Not long after that I took up sidecar racing as a passenger. At the age of 48 I figured that was a safer option (never been known for my good judgement). Mind you, 8 years sidecar racing, everywhere from Kent to Adelaide, was good fun.

Thanks everyone, I never realised there had been so many, and so many closed.