British Speedway Forum
Big Al

The Big Spenders

Laura Morgan in SS accusing two clubs of acting irresponsibly by making over-lucrative offers to riders but declined to name the clubs.

Who did she have in mind? And if what she says is true, shouldn't those clubs be in the Premier League?

• Sad 1

Im sure everyone will call them out as Glasgow and Somerset

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Im sure everyone will call them out as Glasgow and Somerset

If you're right, maybe those clubs need to pay more to encourage some riders to travel regularly to the geographical outposts of the Championship, especially Glasgow given the dearth of Scottish-based riders?

• Like 6

Someone once said " money cant bye me love" nor can it but u trophies as certain clubs have found out 100000 lols.

• Confused 1

if a club wants to pay that's there choice 

but it has knock on effects for all involved in the sport 

like wise its up to that club which league they race in  

its not all about money  sometimes location plays a big part in things  and then theres competitive entertainment 

• Like 2

Location has been a big issue at Glasgow for years, people don't want to travel so far North, it was only after the Facenna's took over and offered more money that riders then wanted to come. If we were to have a fixed pay rate and no extra money from sponsors etc then we would find it difficult to attract riders to the team

• Like 2

This will always be the case unless there is  strict pay guidelines, even then sponsorship comes in to play, location of nearest airport and race night can influence a riders choice of where he wants to ride, there is the real point “ where he wants to ride”.

• Like 1

Screen, Parker, Stancl and Bird won't have been local to Ashfield? Correct me if I am wrong all came to the club with high expectations and averages.. 

9 minutes ago, dorothy58 said:

Location has been a big issue at Glasgow for years, people don't want to travel so far North, it was only after the Facenna's took over and offered more money that riders then wanted to come. If we were to have a fixed pay rate and no extra money from sponsors etc then we would find it difficult to attract riders to the team

3 minutes ago, Robinh88 said:

Screen, Parker, Stancl and Bird won't have been local to Ashfield? Correct me if I am wrong all came to the club with high expectations and averages.. 

Correct but it was more the exception rather than the norm Parker and Stancl stayed with the Tigers for years and in Stancl case he was based in Newcastle and rode for several Northern based clubs.

It was and to a certain extent still is difficult for Edinburgh & Glasgow to attract riders so far north and you could probably include Berwick in that as well. Whilst I acknowledge they are all probably working to different budgets which this has ultimately made attracting bigger names if you like up north.

• Like 3

As a paying customer you want to see the best riders on show, I know that it has been a problem to get riders to come north. But since the new promotion came in they are giving the paying customer what they want and promoting the club in the right manner its about time us clubs up north get to see what the south gets.

Laura appears to have a chip on her shoulder, as do a few Workington fans on here. If you’re putting a team together on a budget that’s lower than previous years and lower than other clubs then you won’t get the same level or number of riders to choose from. Get on with it and stop whinging and moaning about other clubs! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Solidmango said:

Laura appears to have a chip on her shoulder, as do a few Workington fans on here. If you’re putting a team together on a budget that’s lower than previous years and lower than other clubs then you won’t get the same level or number of riders to choose from. Get on with it and stop whinging and moaning about other clubs! 

U might be in the same situation next year what goes round goes round!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

I think not, top riders are now looking at who pay on time and the best deal they can get.Possibly your top 4 leaving maybe that's telling you something

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Nah.

We are in a very fortunate position in that we have very successful businessmen running our club at the moment. If they decide to move on then I won’t be sitting bitching and moaning about other clubs that are enjoying that luxury and doing their best to promote the sport and spread positive news about the sport on a regular basis. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Solidmango said:

Nah.

We are in a very fortunate position in that we have very successful businessmen running our club at the moment. If they decide to move on then I won’t be sitting bitching and moaning about other clubs that are enjoying that luxury and doing their best to promote the sport and spread positive news about the sport on a regular basis. 

Is that the same solid businessmen who highlighted their losses the day the AGM started and asked for volunteers to help the club out during the new season :S

Laura Morgan has always been honest and open about how difficult the last couple of seasons have been for her she has always said that she wont pay silly money to attract riders to her club but there is one thing for sure she has always had and will continue to have Workington Comets best interests at heart and that is probably why we are running this coming season, she most certainly does not have a chip on her shoulder !

Edited by Liz !!!
  • Like 8