British Speedway Forum
Big Al

The Big Spenders

1 hour ago, topaz325 said:

This will always be the case unless there is  strict pay guidelines, even then sponsorship comes in to play, location of nearest airport and race night can influence a riders choice of where he wants to ride, there is the real point “ where he wants to ride”.

Exactly,that has always been the case,just have to get on with it.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Solidmango said:

Nah.

We are in a very fortunate position in that we have very successful businessmen running our club at the moment. If they decide to move on then I won’t be sitting bitching and moaning about other clubs that are enjoying that luxury and doing their best to promote the sport and spread positive news about the sport on a regular basis. 

£100000 loss positive news?

Then she was being naive if she thought the usual subjects would behave any differently.

• Like 1

At the Somerset meeting last week, not only did they discuss the reasons for moving back to the championship, they also talked about the discussions which were had about the points limit at the AGM.  Some clubs wanted 40 and some clubs wanted 36 so a compromise was made on 38. By they way Somerset wanted 40.  One of the clubs pleading poverty for the 36 point limit is now throwing money at riders. The problem we have is that riders are now expecting higher pay, travel money, vans etc and speedway promotions can't afford all those things. We have to live within our means and some riders are going to have to accept that they may have to return to being semi professional is this current financial climate. 

20 minutes ago, Wotstheweatherlike said:

At the Somerset meeting last week, not only did they discuss the reasons for moving back to the championship, they also talked about the discussions which were had about the points limit at the AGM.  Some clubs wanted 40 and some clubs wanted 36 so a compromise was made on 38. By they way Somerset wanted 40.  One of the clubs pleading poverty for the 36 point limit is now throwing money at riders. The problem we have is that riders are now expecting higher pay, travel money, vans etc and speedway promotions can't afford all those things. We have to live within our means and some riders are going to have to accept that they may have to return to being semi professional is this current financial climate. 

Yeah, Schlein, Harris and Covatti will all be cheap and WELL within budget...…….lol

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Solidmango said:

Laura appears to have a chip on her shoulder, as do a few Workington fans on here. If you’re putting a team together on a budget that’s lower than previous years and lower than other clubs then you won’t get the same level or number of riders to choose from. Get on with it and stop whinging and moaning about other clubs! 

If I am not mistaken, our team at the beginning of 2018 was built to some degree of a "Budget"....but look how we ended the season  !  :D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Robinh88 said:

Screen, Parker, Stancl and Bird won't have been local to Ashfield? Correct me if I am wrong all came to the club with high expectations and averages.. 

and look what happened to danny bird 

but I believe his money was topped up by a outside sponsor  wonder if the white powder helped his racing

36 minutes ago, ragdoll64 said:

Yeah, Schlein, Harris and Covatti will all be cheap and WELL within budget...…….lol

Who said they have to be cheap? If they are within Somerset's budget, what's the problem??

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tigeratheart said:

As a paying customer you want to see the best riders on show, I know that it has been a problem to get riders to come north. But since the new promotion came in they are giving the paying customer what they want and promoting the club in the right manner its about time us clubs up north get to see what the south gets.

You are, significant losses !

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, scaramanga said:

and look what happened to danny bird 

but I believe his money was topped up by a outside sponsor  wonder if the white powder helped his racing

That Sponsor just happened to be one of the club's shareholders

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Solidmango said:

Laura appears to have a chip on her shoulder, as do a few Workington fans on here. If you’re putting a team together on a budget that’s lower than previous years and lower than other clubs then you won’t get the same level or number of riders to choose from. Get on with it and stop whinging and moaning about other clubs! 

Strange how in one breath the Glasgow promoters are " whinging and moaning " in the Speedway Star about losing money and then on the other hand are offering Premiership riders inflated wage deals.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, screm said:

I think the point Laura was trying to make is she had just sat round the AGM table where all clubs were agreed the importance of cost cutting, now it appears clubs are throwing money at the riders. No problem for me as there has always been the have and the have nots, and Workington proved to be the best out there last season so they have proved to others it can be done on limited budgets.

Exactly screm, bit of hypocrisy me thinks.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, iwright71 said:

Strange how in one breath the Glasgow promoters are " whinging and moaning " in the Speedway Star about losing money and then on the other hand are offering Premiership riders inflated wage deals.

Who’s been offered inflated wages?!

Who have Glasgow signed?! What counts as inflated?

If it’s more than Workington are prepared to offer does that count as “inflated”? 

Glasgow made significant losses last year primarily due to investment in the club - track work, TV screen etc. All to enhance the spectators experience. What’s been said now is basically we’ve invested and have some top class facilities let’s fill the stadium for us all to benefit. It’s not rocket science really. Well maybe it is to some people :t:

• Like 6

I predict this will be at least a 50 pager :).

Having just looked at some of the post's make it an 80 pager.

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3