British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hunty

Cradley Heathens 2019

Management disillusioned with online abuse from more than just one person. They wouldn't need that even if they were earning thousands and thousands per meeting. Are they making money this year? Who cares...

Plus if they were coining it in why did they only run four home matches in the Trophy last year and pulled out the league? Surely they'd want to earn more if they aren't interested in the club by staging as many meetings as possible? I don't get that bit.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Didnt robbo produce an email from the local council saying that the current owners did not want to or were unable to get thier own land if the council found some? Something in my head is saying so.

Some Cradley fans in Prince of Wales yesterday were jeering NP, which shows something is going seriously amiss within what was once a great club.

Councillors say what certain people want to hear.

2 hours ago, Piccolo said:

Management disillusioned with online abuse from more than just one person. They wouldn't need that even if they were earning thousands and thousands per meeting. Are they making money this year? Who cares...

Plus if they were coining it in why did they only run four home matches in the Trophy last year and pulled out the league? Surely they'd want to earn more if they aren't interested in the club by staging as many meetings as possible? I don't get that bit.

I have never really understood the gripe with any management making money out of a speedway club ? 

surely if your club makes money year after year is a good thing ? 

I would be delighted to hear the Masons make a healthy profit at Birmingham as would give me assurances of our longer term future.

Do speedway fans want owners to take risks but not take any rewards ? if so why would anyone bother ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, East End Fan said:

Why is everyone assuming that Cradley will not run in 2020 ?  Have the club issued a statement ?

Sorry I’m merely referring to the fact that the nl next year will be a glorified MDL and your 6 pointers now will be next years number ones. Hence why nobody will support to watch the racing at that price tag. And Cradley would not exist 

1 hour ago, TurnTwo said:

Sorry I’m merely referring to the fact that the nl next year will be a glorified MDL and your 6 pointers now will be next years number ones. Hence why nobody will support to watch the racing at that price tag. And Cradley would not exist 

Price tag is often a bone of contention but at the level you suggest maybe the NL can return to a proper £10 sport? Whilst the 'names' will be missing if the NL is a sub 6 pointer league the racing will likely be closer and more entertaining as you have riders of closer abilities in every race. At present a 2.00 rider can be out on track with 10+ average riders and whichever league it is that is unlikely to produce anything other than strung out races. By reducing the gulf in standard between riders is likely to improve the entertainment also?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

I have never really understood the gripe with any management making money out of a speedway club ? 

surely if your club makes money year after year is a good thing ? 

I would be delighted to hear the Masons make a healthy profit at Birmingham as would give me assurances of our longer term future.

Do speedway fans want owners to take risks but not take any rewards ? if so why would anyone bother ?

I think, although I can't remember exactly, some of the criticism is making a lot of money from large crowds on NL racing when the appetite and support is there to move into the higher leagues.  I think this increased apathy with NL racing links to the reduced crowds - certainly away from Monmore.  I can't see that there are nearly enough dates as we stand at Monmore to consider moving up and Perry Barr has been shown not to attract enough for whatever reason(s), which brings you back to finding land and building a place of our own.

As you say on the face of it surely as long as they aren't ripping off supporters and paying the bills on time it's a good thing if any promotions are managing to make any money, fair play to them

41 minutes ago, MattJ81 said:

I think, although I can't remember exactly, some of the criticism is making a lot of money from large crowds on NL racing when the appetite and support is there to move into the higher leagues.  I think this increased apathy with NL racing links to the reduced crowds - certainly away from Monmore.  I can't see that there are nearly enough dates as we stand at Monmore to consider moving up and Perry Barr has been shown not to attract enough for whatever reason(s), which brings you back to finding land and building a place of our own.

As you say on the face of it surely as long as they aren't ripping off supporters and paying the bills on time it's a good thing if any promotions are managing to make any money, fair play to them

I have no record of this but im sure i read somewhere that NL was the only option for Cradley as they wouldn't be allowed to enter the higher leagues without a track of their own? Anyone else have any recollection of this or of course know if what was said/heard is factual asit only comes from my cloudy memory.

7 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I have no record of this but im sure i read somewhere that NL was the only option for Cradley as they wouldn't be allowed to enter the higher leagues without a track of their own? Anyone else have any recollection of this or of course know if what was said/heard is factual asit only comes from my cloudy memory.

I think you'll find it's an unwritten rule which may or may not be implemented depending on wind direction. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

From what i recall the last fans forum with the promotion at the Liberal Club (some years ago now) a vote was taken on would fans prefer to see a higher standard of league racing the vote was overwhelmingly for a higher standard, the reason often given for not moving up is that there is a lack of available dates to move into a higher League, I have not heard of the not having our own Track be used as a reason to not move up.

Edited by greyhoundp

17 minutes ago, greyhoundp said:

From what i recall the last fans forum with the promotion at the Liberal Club (some years ago now) a vote was taken on would fans prefer to see a higher standard of league racing the vote was overwhelmingly for a higher standard, the reason given for not moving up is that there is a lack of available dates to move into a higher League, I have not heard of the not having our own Track be used as a reason to not move up.

There’s a spare/unused track at Buxton! Just a thought but could it be a possibility for the heathens to use that on Sunday afternoons.Not a lot of difference to using wolves or brum(apart from the distance) ..

Edited by bigred
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, greyhoundp said:

From what i recall the last fans forum with the promotion at the Liberal Club (some years ago now) a vote was taken on would fans prefer to see a higher standard of league racing the vote was overwhelmingly for a higher standard, the reason often given for not moving up is that there is a lack of available dates to move into a higher League, I have not heard of the not having our own Track be used as a reason to not move up.

The last fans forum at the Liberal Club was last year, not 'some years ago now'.

The forum you are referring to was the end of 2012 when they decided to stay and win the league.

At the end of 2014 they were informed they had lost their race night of Tuesday at Wolverhampton. Hence the move to Birmingham for a season when they spent more than they should because of the demands of certain riders which include threatening retirement and crashing vans. No names, but these were costly exercises from what I've been told. The only NL club supplying vans to riders because one said he's quitting and going to Australia and the other wrote his off on the M5. That's two of the 7 saying they are quitting unless the club rents a van for them. Google van rentals.

Not a lot of people know that, apart from those who were at that forum in 2018. Not 'some years ago'. Plenty more like that.

On 8/20/2019 at 10:37 AM, HGould said:

it's pretty clear what has happened at Cradley and on this occasion Mr Mark Robinson is 100% right.

The Patchett / Pearson Promotion has been happy to leech off the fantastic support for as long as they can and made a big killing off it.

They then managed to get their stooges on to the Supporters Trust and access to what was left of their "fighting fund" for use to support planning applications etc. 

They used that money to cover costs this season.

They have absolutely NO INTEREST in Cradley Heath Speedway now other than as a credit on their Bank Statements.

The "well is nearly dry" and they will vanish

It is an absolutely crying shame that a great name will vanish and this time will be a lot more difficult to ever get back.

As a Brummies fan I know how long it took us to rise from the Ashes, we had a legend like Brian Buck fighting our corner, Pearson and Patchett are not fit to be mentioned in the same breath

Wrong:

See below:

"They then managed to get their stooges on to the Supporters Trust and access to what was left of their "fighting fund" for use to support planning applications etc."

Truth:

A representative of the Trust approached the management at the end of last season to offer support to get them back in the league after they withdrew and only entered the Trophy (because they weren't creaming enough off the fans supposedly!). A figure was agreed which now cannot be met because the management insisted they do not want any access to a "fighting fund" for use to support planning applications etc. The 200 Club was formed and can only deliver 60% of the agreed amount because clearly not enough fans wanted to support this project.

In addition, the management structure is Pearson / Patchett / Van Straaten. The latter has the keys to Monmore, nobody else. Without those guys the club folds.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 10:37 AM, HGould said:

it's pretty clear what has happened at Cradley and on this occasion Mr Mark Robinson is 100% right.

The Patchett / Pearson Promotion has been happy to leech off the fantastic support for as long as they can and made a big killing off it.

They then managed to get their stooges on to the Supporters Trust and access to what was left of their "fighting fund" for use to support planning applications etc.

They used that money to cover costs this season.

They have absolutely NO INTEREST in Cradley Heath Speedway now other than as a credit on their Bank Statements.

The "well is nearly dry" and they will vanish

It is an absolutely crying shame that a great name will vanish and this time will be a lot more difficult to ever get back.

As a Brummies fan I know how long it took us to rise from the Ashes, we had a legend like Brian Buck fighting our corner, Pearson and Patchett are not fit to be mentioned in the same breath

Keep on and you'll get everyone who has propped up a club quitting, the lack of understanding, the absence of tolerance, the acrimony and bitterness from an absolute minority is underwhelming. I sincerely hope that the even minded folk who support Speedway can see right through the likes of you and Robinson. There are no facts in your post just inaccurate suppositions.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Piccolo said:

The last fans forum at the Liberal Club was last year, not 'some years ago now'.

The forum you are referring to was the end of 2012 when they decided to stay and win the league.

At the end of 2014 they were informed they had lost their race night of Tuesday at Wolverhampton. Hence the move to Birmingham for a season when they spent more than they should because of the demands of certain riders which include threatening retirement and crashing vans. No names, but these were costly exercises from what I've been told. The only NL club supplying vans to riders because one said he's quitting and going to Australia and the other wrote his off on the M5. That's two of the 7 saying they are quitting unless the club rents a van for them. Google van rentals.

Not a lot of people know that, apart from those who were at that forum in 2018. Not 'some years ago'. Plenty more like that.

With the greatest of respect the rider who said he is quitting and off to Australia should have got the answer of enjoy the flight and the written off van on the M5, get another one from your insurance. Pandering to riders is a big reason why the many clubs are in trouble and that kind of behaviour shouldn't be tolerated in the NL. Far better to oust the riders at the time (X has left the club because he didn't show the level of commitment we required/expected to maintain his place) the sooner there is a return to it being a privilege to have a team place rather than a rite the sooner the sport can start t get up off its knees.

• Like 3