British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hunty

Cradley Heathens 2019

Very poor advert for a play off speedway meeting ….

One of the Thompson boys looks good to me, but I don't want to say which one.

Pleased that Clegg beat Mr Ego Ellis in heat 15.

Danyon still can't stay on for 4 laps in all his rides...….disappointing because he has bags of potential.

Jack Smith seems to have stalled re: progress?

Certainly don't miss NL racing!

• Like 1

On 9/23/2019 at 7:29 PM, Piccolo said:

Wrong:

See below:

"They then managed to get their stooges on to the Supporters Trust and access to what was left of their "fighting fund" for use to support planning applications etc."

Truth:

A representative of the Trust approached the management at the end of last season to offer support to get them back in the league after they withdrew and only entered the Trophy (because they weren't creaming enough off the fans supposedly!). A figure was agreed which now cannot be met because the management insisted they do not want any access to a "fighting fund" for use to support planning applications etc. The 200 Club was formed and can only deliver 60% of the agreed amount because clearly not enough fans wanted to support this project.

In addition, the management structure is Pearson / Patchett / Van Straaten. The latter has the keys to Monmore, nobody else. Without those guys the club folds.

Seems according to the SS Cradley wont be running in 2020.

Personally, I wouldn't take it as gospel that Cradley won't be running next season. There are logistical difficulties I know, but attendances although down compared with recent seasons, are still better than most. I'm not a Cradley man myself, but I know there is still a great deal of love for the club locally, so even if the current promoters decide to withdraw, then I don't see any lack of interest from others in taking the club on. I'm a Brummie and always will be, but I've never been anti-Cradley and I wish the club and its supporters all the best for 2020 and beyond.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 9:46 PM, greyhoundp said:

Seems according to the SS Cradley wont be running in 2020.

Sadly I no longer take delivery of Speedway Star. Out of interest greyhoundhp what basically does the item say in regard to Cradley? I may be a 'sarf' Londoner but have always had an interest in the side - back to the days of riders like Les and Ray Beaumont, Eric Irons, Phil Malpass etc!!!!

22 hours ago, gustix said:

Sadly I no longer take delivery of Speedway Star. Out of interest greyhoundhp what basically does the item say in regard to Cradley? I may be a 'sarf' Londoner but have always had an interest in the side - back to the days of riders like Les and Ray Beaumont, Eric Irons, Phil Malpass etc!!!!

I to no longer take the Speedway Star, but i was told about the article, but not much else seems to be forthcoming,

However here is a statement from Gary Patchett club Partner/Promoter.. 

There seems to be mounting speculation about the future of the Heathens after articles that have appeared in the Express & Star and Speedway Star. I can only make comment from my own perspective.
I advised Chris and Nigel this time last 
year that they couldn't rely on my involvement in 2019. I've found my enthusiasm for speedway increasingly challenged and I was completely uninspired by the truncated 2018 Trophy campaign and I honestly thought we'd probably reached the end then. Nobody was more surprised than me when Chris announced to us that he'd entered a team in the National League for this season and I found my enthusiasm recharged a little. I really didn't feel like I was ready to let go but truth be known I should have walked away then.
This season has been a struggle on and off the track. We were late to the party and putting a competitive team together wasn't easy but we did our best and everyone who rode for us did so with huge commitment. Tom Brennan getting injured so early was a massive kick in the nuts for everyone and this year again was a case of, what if.
I've got my own reasons for standing down and I'm sure some of those are in common with the other two if they intend to do likewise. Ultimately though, I just want away from the sport.
It will be for others to decide where the club goes from here. If there are enough people willing to put in enough effort then there will be a future. I hope that can happen and you won't find any barriers to that happening from my side.
It's been a privilege being part of this club for the last decade and while things were going wrong elsewhere it helped to keep me sane. But you know when it's time and the time is now, for me anyway.
Thanks to everyone who's been a part of it.
Edited by greyhoundp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, greyhoundp said:

I to no longer take the Speedway Star, but i was told about the article, but not much else seems to be forthcoming,

There seems to be mounting speculation about the future of the Heathens after articles that have appeared in the Express & Star and Speedway Star. I can only make comment from my own perspective.
year that they couldn't rely on my involvement in 2019. I've found my enthusiasm for speedway increasingly challenged and I was completely uninspired by the truncated 2018 Trophy campaign and I honestly thought we'd probably reached the end then. Nobody was more surprised than me when Chris announced to us that he'd entered a team in the National League for this season and I found my enthusiasm recharged a little. I really didn't feel like I was ready to let go but truth be known I should have walked away then.
This season has been a struggle on and off the track. We were late to the party and putting a competitive team together wasn't easy but we did our best and everyone who rode for us did so with huge commitment. Tom Brennan getting injured so early was a massive kick in the nuts for everyone and this year again was a case of, what if.
I've got my own reasons for standing down and I'm sure some of those are in common with the other two if they intend to do likewise. Ultimately though, I just want away from the sport.
It will be for others to decide where the club goes from here. If there are enough people willing to put in enough effort then there will be a future. I hope that can happen and you won't find any barriers to that happening from my side.
It's been a privilege being part of this club for the last decade and while things were going wrong elsewhere it helped to keep me sane. But you know when it's time and the time is now, for me anyway.
Hide or report this

Why would anyone want to hide or report this if it is an accurate transcription.

in any case, there have been rumours all summer that this was Cradley's last hurrah

1 hour ago, Richard Weston said:

Why would anyone want to hide or report this if it is an accurate transcription.

in any case, there have been rumours all summer that this was Cradley's last hurrah

The hide or report was mistakenly copied and pasted, and is irrelevant to what i posted which was copied word for word from a Fb post, as you say there have been rumours for a while now about the future of the Club, but thats no different to what its been for the last few years, more or less from the time the Heathens were put up for sale then withdrawn from being for sale, thats always going to remain so whilst we dont have our own Track.

Edited by greyhoundp

2 hours ago, greyhoundp said:

Hide or report this

one:

1 hour ago, Richard Weston said:

two:

6 minutes ago, greyhoundp said:

The hide or report was mistakenly copied and pasted, and is irrelevant to what i posted which was copied word for word from a Fb post, as you say there have been rumours for a while now about the future of the Club, but thats no different to what its been for the last few years, more or less from the time the Heathens were put up for sale then withdrawn from being for sale, thats always going to remain so whilst we dont have our own Track.

three:

Please clarify what to accept and what to ignore greyhoundp.

one, two or three. Thank you.

1 hour ago, gustix said:

one:

two:

three:

Please clarify what to accept and what to ignore greyhoundp.

one, two or three. Thank you.

One, is a copy of Gary Patchetts statement except for the Hide or report right at the end which i mistakenly copied.

Two, is Richard Westons comment.

Three, is my explanation of why the Hide or Report appeared at the end, plus my take on why the rumours have been rife for a few years now..

Four, I have now edited my original post and removed the mistaken comment at the end, thereby removing any missunderstanding. :D

Edited by greyhoundp

We’re the Cradley crowds at Perry barr in 2015 far lower? And what was the crowd size the other evening? 

1 hour ago, TurnTwo said:

We’re the Cradley crowds at Perry barr in 2015 far lower? And what was the crowd size the other evening? 

I can't comment on the crowd size for the recent meeting as I did not attend.  The problem for me with Perry Barr is easily illustrated by comparing journey times.
From home to Dudley Wood was 7 miles and took less than 20 minutes by car (leaving home at 6.50 and getting back before 10.00).
From home to Monmore Green is 9 miles and takes 20 minutes  by car.  Being now disabled and unable to drive, the journey by public transport takes 50 minutes (leave home at 6.15, get back by 10.20).
From home to Perry Barr is 23 miles and takes 65 minutes there and 40 minutes back by car.  The journey by public transport takes around 2.25 hours (leave home at 4.45, get back by midnight).  That's too long a journey and too late at night, especially travelling through Birmingham city centre.  I know several people who don't attend at Perry Barr because of the awkward journey across the Black Country.

Crowd for the last meeting was very poor but even at Monmore although still very good especially for National League seems to me to be down on previous years. Then again I'd imagine that's the same at most tracks

12 hours ago, greyhoundp said:

Thanks for clearing that up. 

2 minutes 2 minutes 2 minutes news is he getting any of the blame .It wouldnt surprise me if they folded to spite him and his little mob .

12 hours ago, bruno said:

Crowd for the last meeting was very poor but even at Monmore although still very good especially for National League seems to me to be down on previous years. Then again I'd imagine that's the same at most tracks

By definition re crowd size (guesstimate will do) what was it?