British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester NL 2019

4 hours ago, GoldenGauntlet said:

Disappointing to see that nearly all the Lions Cubs home meetings clash with SGPs - not going to help attendances.

That’s why they are mostly on those SGP dates, to keep it on a Saturday and as Scott Nichollls most likely working on the SGP TV shows, so no Lions matches

9 hours ago, peckover said:

That’s why they are mostly on those SGP dates, to keep it on a Saturday and as Scott Nichollls most likely working on the SGP TV shows, so no Lions matches

That's why the Lions are not riding on those Saturdays, but I don't see why they couldn't have run the Lions Cubs meetings on a different day. Most fans who would go and watch the Lions Cubs meetings would also, I imagine, want to watch the SGPs live.

We always raced on GP nights when in the Championship previously and the fans showed up in numbers..... people just record it I guess and it keeps it regular Saturday racing 

16 hours ago, peckover said:

We always raced on GP nights when in the Championship previously and the fans showed up in numbers..... people just record it I guess and it keeps it regular Saturday racing 

That was when you only had one team though, so if people didn't go they didn't get live speedway. I dare say with this being a junior team vs GPs that Cubs attendances will be comparable to the Bees attendances.

Back in 2014 Leicester entered the NT and when Kent rode there, there was no more then 120 people with well over half of us coming up the m1.

Almost sounds to me like they are running against GPs so they can declare a 2nd team is not viable come the end of the season.

With having to pay the high B.T sport price surely alot will go to see the cubs as they can't afford to have said channel...just a thought

20 hours ago, Lionsman66 said:

With having to pay the high B.T sport price surely alot will go to see the cubs as they can't afford to have said channel...just a thought

Cant speak for other people, but my own view is that despite being a nearly ever present at central park for what ever level or format of speedway was on offer since day 1, fear that if at Kent we get Saturdays I will miss more in a season then I have in the previous 6... 

Already have 2 gps booked to attend, and hoping to do two more if finances allow. So potentially 3 missed meetings (I am pretty sure I won't miss a meeting when I am at Cardiff)

I am not trying to be negative about the project, the way forward is for all upper league clubs to have either a NL side or at least a development league side. It's the only way to bring on a consistent and steady stream of young talent through.

I think most of us expected Sunday afternoon fixtures which I think would of worked well. I remember reading Horton saying he needed about 200 people to break even I assume that figure will be less for the Cubs as they won't have the rent to cover. One thing they do have is an attractive team and hopefully that will be enough to entice people in and balance the books.

• Like 2

It sounded through the updates like there was a fair bit of passing, is the track more racey this year?

Ryan MacDonald replaces Kelsey Dugard, who it seems has retired after breaking his collarbone on P&P day. Sounds like he hadn't mentioned the fact he had retired to the Cubs management though. Quote on the website from Stewart Dickson says " I haven't had any official contact from, but I've been told he's no longer doing Speedway and I had that confirmed at the weekend". Does anyone who follows NL Speedway think that weakens the Cubs side or not?

12 minutes ago, stevethelion said:

Ryan MacDonald replaces Kelsey Dugard, who it seems has retired after breaking his collarbone on P&P day. Sounds like he hadn't mentioned the fact he had retired to the Cubs management though. Quote on the website from Stewart Dickson says " I haven't had any official contact from, but I've been told he's no longer doing Speedway and I had that confirmed at the weekend". Does anyone who follows NL Speedway think that weakens the Cubs side or not?

Well marginally quicker than i expected but better for the Cubs to be rid of Kelsey. I really don't get why riders who show little or no commitment and "retire" time and time again still get so many opportunities. Ryan Mac has had plenty of chances himself and is still to prove he can cut it fully at NL level but has shown slow improvement over the seasons so is probably the best suited replacement available at present. 

• Like 1

Ryan MacDonald will do a job for Leicester especially when if/when Dan or Joe move up into the main body. Experience at Leicester too which will help. That's 3 of the Cov NL side now, good to see. 

• Like 1

MacDonald did show considerable progress last year, another similar one could make him a useful 2nd string.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

MacDonald did show considerable progress last year, another similar one could make him a useful 2nd string.

In all probability he is going to end up at reserve if either Thompson delivers on their potential. There is a danger of course that Ryan could find himself getting 3 rides a meeting but its up to him to step up and make sure he doesn't.

• Like 2

I do like Kelsey but him and MacDonald are polar opposites in terms of reliability and commitment. 

• Like 1

So Perks signs for Swindon. Its been widely circulated that riders can only do 2 leagues this year and not all 3 so guess its so long cubs? I guess Jack Thomas is already nicely set to replace him if that is the case?