British Speedway Forum
1 valve

Leicester NL 2019

Waiting on the result between Plymouth and stoke on Friday stoke are 11 point up I think from their leg hoping for stoke :-) can’t face another 10 hour journey again 

• Haha 1

Was chasing Extance into bed 3 and looked like Extance slowed up a little and Jo ran into the back of him both came down both got up and looked ok jo said he felt shaken up but felt ok but the medics said he looked concussed and gave him a 23 day ban   

30 minutes ago, mac101 said:

Was chasing Extance into bed 3 and looked like Extance slowed up a little and Jo ran into the back of him both came down both got up and looked ok jo said he felt shaken up but felt ok but the medics said he looked concussed and gave him a 23 day ban   

Cruel sport at times although the riders safety is paramount. Joe Thompson & Sheldon Davies concussed on the same day but due to age and fixtures Davies misses nothing Joe is likely to miss 5 matches including the KOC semi finals however with his average going over 7 from 1st August there is plenty of guest options available.

2 hours ago, mac101 said:

Thanks for this.

So Adam Exstance has been involved in both Thompsons suffering bad  accidents within a week. I am not pointing an accusing finger at Adam Exstance here but it unfortunately illustrates the point. But the lads will have hopefully learned to be wary of which riders they are trying to get past. It looked like last week Exstance wasn't all that aware of Dan coming past between him and the fence although I wasn't looking from directly behind and the ref decided to exclude Dan and someone has suggested that Exstance slowed up and it caught Joe out, who was probably quicker.

Dan performed a stunning overtake of Ben Wilson last week, edge of the seat stuff, but Wilson is an experienced rider who would be expected to have good awareness and he did duly allow Dan the room to complete the pass safely. 

Edited by Big Al
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Big Al said:

So Adam Exstance has been involved in both Thompsons suffering bad  accidents within a week. I am not pointing an accusing finger at Adam Exstance here but it unfortunately illustrates the point. But the lads will have hopefully learned to be wary of which riders they are trying to get past. It looked like last week Exstance wasn't all that aware of Dan coming past between him and the fence although I wasn't looking from directly behind and the ref decided to exclude Dan and someone has suggested that Exstance slowed up and it caught Joe out, who was probably quicker.

Dan performed a stunning overtake of Ben Wilson last week, edge of the seat stuff, but Wilson is an experienced rider who would be expected to have good awareness and he did duly allow Dan the room to complete the pass safely. 

The accident involving Adam was caused by Joe carrying  to much speed  into turn 3 & as he tried to go around Adam he clipped his back wheel sending them both off their bikes. It was in no way Adams fault. Joe of course was excluded.

• Like 1

It was a racing incident. The referee excluded Joe as the primary cause of the stoppage, which in my view was the correct decision.

Let's move on.

Somewhere in the mists of forum time I asked what was going to happen when the big boys started bullying the Thompson. They both have talent but only know one way to turn the throttle and no experience. Not surprised they are now getting hurt.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pete cc said:

Somewhere in the mists of forum time I asked what was going to happen when the big boys started bullying the Thompson. They both have talent but only know one way to turn the throttle and no experience. Not surprised they are now getting hurt.

Whilst im certainly not saying that any injuries sustained are anyone's fault as ive not seen the incidents it does re-raise the question should 15 year olds be in league racing? The youth and enthusiasm is clearly evident along with some ability but is it a matter of time until there are issues? Its not acceptable (just entertaining) when there is a bit of handbags after a race or after a rider is brought down by a reckless move but if one of the riders is 15 it opens up a whole bag of trouble that it shouldn't as all riders on track should be equally accountable for their actions. The child protection laws are getting tighter and tighter, i assume the Thompsons and others all change separately to the main team or have appropriate adults present.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, arnieg said:

It was a racing incident. The referee excluded Joe as the primary cause of the stoppage, which in my view was the correct decision.

Let's move on.

Mine too Arnie.

13 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Whilst im certainly not saying that any injuries sustained are anyone's fault as ive not seen the incidents it does re-raise the question should 15 year olds be in league racing? The youth and enthusiasm is clearly evident along with some ability but is it a matter of time until there are issues? Its not acceptable (just entertaining) when there is a bit of handbags after a race or after a rider is brought down by a reckless move but if one of the riders is 15 it opens up a whole bag of trouble that it shouldn't as all riders on track should be equally accountable for their actions. The child protection laws are getting tighter and tighter, i assume the Thompsons and others all change separately to the main team or have appropriate adults present.

Change separately? Appropriate adult?

Think you will find the club will say the ' appropriate adult ' was a fellow team mate as very few clubs have taken the legal steps to ensure compliance with the regulations. When I asked the S.C.B. Officer in charge What level of training the child protection officer would require to take up such a post the reply was " you just need to put someone's name in the programme, doesn't matter about training"

Thats how seriously he who should know better took it,  especially for the role he holds within the speedway set up, but as is frequently said in this forum " that's speedway for you!".

• Like 1