British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Isle of Wight 2019

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Thats disappointing for the warriors hopes. Needed an experienced reserve alongside Wirtzfeld to offer something. The belief that all teams are building with 2 rookies at reserve is false and added that he finished with a 6.22 average in the easier MDL this year is hardly inspiring. By comparison Ben Rathbone completed a similar number of meetings and finished on 10.75. Others like Sam Wooley, Luke Whitehead, Tom Spencer all bettered Kings average along with the Islands Wizards Jamie Sealey & Chris Watts. Whilst the loyalty to riders may ultimately be the undoing of the Warriors i fear this will join the long list of poor IOW reserves signed over the past few seasons. 

Connor has every opportunity to do well this season, its his opportunity. He will either take it or he will not. When he rode for us on each occassion he did well including race wins, so this is his chance. 

However, the "long list" of poor IOW reserves is a little unjust in my view. It just so easy to talk things down but I can assure you being on the island is a nightmare when it comes to agreeing terms with "hot shot" reserves. This year we had 3 hot shot reserves who we were in discussion with who were "desperate" to ride for the club...... yet only 1 on these became a Warrior - Chad. The other two walked us down a long path and ultimately went the way of more money or easier travel (the travel is understandable for a student). As was the case for  last year, I had already spoken to a top local school that would allow any "hot shot" to particpate at thier school on the Friday reducing the time the rider missed from two to one day from school.

Finally, it isnt as simple as wave a magic wand and they shall appear either. On the island it is different - it takes more time to get to (we do it each week too) and we will NEVER pay more than we can afford - it is foolish to do so, unless you dont mind losing money. A club which survives to thrive is way more important than a club that tries to buy the league by inflating wages and affecting the long term viability of our league..... and to be honest with you, our speedway on the island is always about the bigger picture - the fun family experience with riders who want to be there, with riders who will be heroes to our fans and inspire the next generation of rider and fan.

I am extremely proud of this years team, but make no bones about it I would have prefered to have our entire team back from last year... but the rules stop that. This is a good team who will do the club proud, everyone of them has the opportunity to improve their average and do well.

Time will tell  :) Thanks as always for your feedback.

Edited by barrybishop
typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Think if s lot of riders lived further south you would have had a lot more to choose from shame it’s so far away 

A strong top two for the Islanders, but looks like they're missing a third heat-leader a bit.

RTD and Danno Verge will probably do enough at home to cover 3rd heat leader between them, and they shouldn't lose at home.   Likely to be lacking away though.    Similarly the reserves will probably do ok with the home advantage of the huge IOW track once they get settled in, but may struggle on their travels.

1 minute ago, mac101 said:

Think if s lot of riders lived further south you would have had a lot more to choose from shame it’s so far away 

We are working on this with My First Skid but the truth is there isnt really many track for new riders to come to. We hold Schools on the Island, Plymouth and I hope Rye House hopefully this will help build up more Southern riders  :)

• Like 1

There is no arguing that geographically IOW is a hard place to build competitive teams and Buxton, Plymouth etc have found similar issues in the past however there will always be riders who are dedicated enough to make the long journeys to race for good clubs like Shaun Tedham did last year rather than those who feel they are entitled to places like Tyler Govier or Matt Saul (#wheres_Sauly).

The fact that the major ethos is sustainability is the correct move for the club and the league as a whole. I hope the Warriors have a successful year on track as i know also that even teams help strong crowds and likewise create good entertainment on the night which is another Island ethos. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, barrybishop said:

Connor has every opportunity to do well this season, its his opportunity. He will either take it or he will not. When he rode for us on each occassion he did well including race wins, so this is his chance. 

However, the "long list" of poor IOW reserves is a little unjust in my view. It just so easy to talk things down but I can assure you being on the island is a nightmare when it comes to agreeing terms with "hot shot" reserves. This year we had 3 hot shot reserves who we were in discussion with who were "desperate" to ride for the club...... yet only 1 on these became a Warrior - Chad. The other two walked us down a long path and ultimately went the way of more money or easier travel (the travel is understandable for a student). As was the case for  last year, I had already spoken to a top local school that would allow any "hot shot" to particpate at thier school on the Friday reducing the time the rider missed from two to one day from school.

Finally, it isnt as simple as wave a magic wand and they shall appear either. On the island it is different - it takes more time to get to (we do it each week too) and we will NEVER pay more than we can afford - it is foolish to do so, unless you dont mind losing money. A club which survives to thrive is way more important than a club that tries to buy the league by inflating wages and affecting the long term viability of our league..... and to be honest with you, our speedway on the island is always about the bigger picture - the fun family experience with riders who want to be there, with riders who will be heroes to our fans and inspire the next generation of rider and fan.

I am extremely proud of this years team, but make no bones about it I would have prefered to have our entire team back from last year... but the rules stop that. This is a good team who will do the club proud, everyone of them has the opportunity to improve their average and do well.

Time will tell  :) Thanks as always for your feedback.

Proud to support a team with such an honest promoter and promotion team :) Best of luck to the lads this coming season.

Like I’ve said previously, it’s a fantastic top 2 and some great characters throughout and looks a useful team on paper that should stay clear of the bottom to continue with the improved results that came once Bowtell arrived this season. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

Proud to support a team with such an honest promoter and promotion team :) Best of luck to the lads this coming season.

Like I’ve said previously, it’s a fantastic top 2 and some great characters throughout and looks a useful team on paper that should stay clear of the bottom to continue with the improved results that came once Bowtell arrived this season. 

Fingers crossed my terrible predictions continue and actually hoping im wrong once again but personally can't see any team keeping the Warriors off the bottom at the moment. 

7 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Fingers crossed my terrible predictions continue and actually hoping im wrong once again but personally can't see any team keeping the Warriors off the bottom at the moment. 

a wager......?

• Haha 1

Sings for speedway has a point the middle order have no one  who could fill a heat leader role.However the top end  will score big everywhere,much will depend on the improvement of the reserves, if one of them can move up to the top five,,they will do ok ,at least win regularly at home..

11 minutes ago, barrybishop said:

a wager......?

Blimey want to really make sure the Warriors finish off the bottom...my gambling is worse than my predictions.

Should IOW not finish bottom of the league 2019 season i will pay for 1 my first skid session for the child of your choice and hopefully play my part in creating a Warrior of the future who will keep the side off the bottom.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Blimey want to really make sure the Warriors finish off the bottom...my gambling is worse than my predictions.

Should IOW not finish bottom of the league 2019 season i will pay for 1 my first skid session for the child of your choice and hopefully play my part in creating a Warrior of the future who will keep the side off the bottom.

accepted.......  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Do you play poker Sings, I'm not very good but can see an earner possible here!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, gazzac said:

Do you play poker Sings, I'm not very good but can see an earner possible here!

:D fortunately not otherwise i would be (more) skint. I stick to "playing" Speedway promoter/manager/armchair "expert" :D:D

Edited by Sings4Speedway
  • Like 1