British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tosh1218

Engines

I'm not mechanically minded so hope this isn't a daft question to some of you .

On today's  modern. GM engines there is a colured tab   Black,green ,red etc  what does this signify if anything ? 

Thanks in advance

Nothing. It is just a plastic segment which covers the cam sprocket.

44 minutes ago, *JJ said:

Nothing. It is just a plastic segment which covers the cam sprocket.

It actually denotes what stage the servicing is at, some engine builders change different parts at different services and that is a way of keeping track.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Tosh1218 said:

I'm not mechanically minded so hope this isn't a daft question to some of you .

On today's  modern. GM engines there is a colured tab   Black,green ,red etc  what does this signify if anything ? 

Thanks in advance

Usually just used by the rider to more easily identify between the different engines he owns.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2018 at 10:14 AM, foamfence said:

It actually denotes what stage the servicing is at, some engine builders change different parts at different services and that is a way of keeping track.

Green- Just been serviced, Black- Needs an Oil Change, Red- About to blow up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I thought it denotes the type of engine tune it has had.

Oil is changed every 2-3 heats or should be according to PJR tuning.

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 2:01 PM, Oafski said:

Green- Just been serviced, Black- Needs an Oil Change, Red- About to blow up.

Green = blew to bits :blink:

I've never noticed mechanics changing the valve cover off and changing the colours every 3 -5 races after a change of oil :wink:

Edited by Bald Bloke

19 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

Ours (now sold) had a proprietary cover with 'Ashtec Eng.' on it. When it got too shabby, I bought a black plastic one to replace it when the engine was rebuilt (black mainly because I thought is looked more flash!).

We changed the oil after every meeting, but this was in amateur/MDL level.

On 12/2/2018 at 3:35 PM, IronScorpion said:

If that’s the case then no wonder the cost of racing is out of control!

Continuing with engines, could someone please explain what the term 'off-set engine or crank' means again please.  I had a link to a website which listed many such interesting technical details but don't seem to be able to find it.   Thanks in advance....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling (sigh)

8 minutes ago, martinmauger said:

Continuing with engines, could someone please explain what the term 'off-set engine or crank' means again pease.  I had a link to a website which listed many such interesting technical details but don't seem to be able to find it.   Thanks in advance....

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/256853/free-power-offset-cylinders-explained/

• Thanks 2

There is not a lot new in the world, this was being done many years ago particularly in scooters, but rather than having offset cranks, they were doing it simpler by having the gugeon pin off centre ( de-saxe) to minimise the side thrust of the piston, just had to be careful that you fitted the piston in the correct way round

6 hours ago, piston197 said:

There is not a lot new in the world, this was being done many years ago particularly in scooters, but rather than having offset cranks, they were doing it simpler by having the gugeon pin off centre ( de-saxe) to minimise the side thrust of the piston, just had to be careful that you fitted the piston in the correct way round

Never down that but managed to fit a throttle slide the wrong way round once, though it wasn't on a speedway bike.  One never fogets the terror of a throttle stuck wide open :o.  Then one gives much praise and thanks for the invention and fitting of the kill switch ;)....

Edited by martinmauger
added horror