British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Argos

Mildenhall New Owner

3 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

David Crane, I assume, usually knows what is going on!

He did write the piece but it was edited wrongly by someone at the paper 

Confirmation today that Mildenhall have been taken over and will take their place next season. 

27 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Is the identity of the new owner known?

Kind of! ‘fronted by club commercial manager Lee Chipchase and local farmer Greg Palmer – plus unnamed partners – in control of the operation, although Jolly is to remain a part of the set-up at West Row.’

• Thanks 1

From Mildenhall Speedway - 

Fen Tigers to roar again in 2019

Following the recent National League AGM it can be confirmed that the Mildenhall Fen Tigers will come to tapes once again in 2019. A consortium fronted by Fen Tigers Commercial Manager Lee Chipchase and local farmer Greg Palmer plus as yet unnamed partners have taken over the day to day running of the club after Kevin Jolly put the club up for sale at the end of last season.

Speaking on behalf of the consortium Lee Chipchase said –

“We are overjoyed that Mildenhall Speedway will run again in 2019 and must thank Kevin (Jolly) for all his help in making this happen. We are very pleased to be able to announce that Kevin will stay involved with us and help our riders develop using his great knowledge of speedway and deep passion for the sport. He has also been a massive help to us as we prepare to step somewhat into the unknown. This was a decision not lightly taken but I am confident that with the various skills my partners will bring to the table we can continue to run Mildenhall Speedway on a sustainable basis whilst providing our loyal fan base with the exciting speedway they have come to expect at Mildenhall. We are very lucky to have so many committed helpers too that all help make the Mildenhall Speedway experience a special one.

Now we are confirmed as running we need to act swiftly to ensure we are able to secure the riders we want to give us a competitive team. We will keep supporters fully updated and  will be in a position to announce our first riders next week. We would like to thank our supporters for their patience during this worrying period”

Kevin Jolly commented –

“This is a solution that works for everyone, the club keeps running which is so important to me, whilst at the same time I will not have the financial commitment and day to day responsibilities that I have had over the recent years.

I am happy to help the new consortium and am convinced that they can continue to move Mildenhall Speedway forward. It is great that some enthusiasts have come in to take it over and now we all can all look forward to the coming season. The intention, I understand, is that five riders will be announced next week, one each evening, so the run up to Christmas will be very exciting for sure”

• Thanks 1

After what Jolly and his wife pit on Facebook about the bspa he shouldn’t be allowed to step into speedway stadiums let alone run them 

17 minutes ago, TurnTwo said:

After what Jolly and his wife pit on Facebook about the bspa he shouldn’t be allowed to step into speedway stadiums let alone run them 

If that were the case for everyone, the stadiums would be empty. This forum's main occupation - often, most reasonably - is BSPA bashing. 

Given the ludicrous points limit that has almost certainly been forced on NL promotions against their will - Mark Phillips has made it clear that they wanted an increase in the limit, not a reduction - I suspect that many in charge of tracks at that level and their supporters will agree with some - if not most - of what Kevin Jolly said. 

• Like 2

Anyone that says “British speedway is “sh*t” its run by “what a load of tw*ts” and that “we are so glad to be out of it” yeah brilliant advertisement for our sport. Last month he was glad to be out. Now he’s ready to be back in because it doesn’t cost him a penny to have a toy train set. 

1 minute ago, TurnTwo said:

Anyone that says “British speedway is “sh*t” its run by “what a load of tw*ts” and that “we are so glad to be out of it” yeah brilliant advertisement for our sport. Last month he was glad to be out. Now he’s ready to be back in because it doesn’t cost him a penny to have a toy train set. 

He is right though. They've completely cocked up the NL. Wish they'd realise lowering the limit simply doesn't work. They did this a couple of years ago and you end up with riders on inflated averages. The limit will now need to be raised again next year to compensate this. 

Really can't see the benefit of lowering it. The sport is on its arse right now. Lowering the limit forces out the better standard of riders,which as a fan I want to see at this level. You're now left with riders who have been in the league for years,averaging the same every year instead of the likes of Kemp and Smith for example who are the future. We are now presented with a poorer product. The BSPA don't do themselves any favour with regards to "advertising" with crap decisions like this

• Like 2

Strictly speaking that isn’t all true. Riders like Kemp & Smith could well miss out on a team place - yes. The fact that drew will be in at Ipswich once he does 4 home and 4 away at Sheffield’s and has an average over 4.5 means he will have a team in both leagues because in fairness what will Drew gain out of riding in the national league next year anyway realistically other than turning up and taking home £400 a meeting for scoring 13+ purely from making good gates. Smith is never going to be a world beater and only has his high average due to his form round belle vue his away form is 2.88 points lower compared to people on or around his average such as Brennan, 1.73 points lower Thomas 1.48 lower and Flint 2.16 lower (and he spent most the season at reserve too). 

I do not agree entirely with the new points limit but I must admit the bspa have done a few good things:  - new two pointers to make there a continuity within the rules between leagues. It will push the riders like spooner and brooks into the main body to give them that next step, it means there is not so much pressure on the newbies to try and score 3 points a meeting minimum to equal their worth. And it will push riders like campos, Hopwood and Coles (if they have teams out of the league and Into the league above.) Realisitcally this league has become to professional it needs to find the happy medium between when it was conference league and the last couple of years. And it will be just as successful 

The championship had to be watered down so that there was a divide between the premiership and championship rightly so there hast to be a gap between NL and championship otherwise the championship promoters can’t sell their product at a high admission price because the national league offers the same. Yes it will inflate everyone’s averages but it will also make the league fairer in the view that even stoke have put together a very strong team so far and they were scraping for bottom end come last season. 

Reducing standards will have a knock on effect in reducing crowd numbers...Is there one single person with any common sense on the BSPA ??

Edited by waco

I was just using Kemp/Smith as examples.There was 23 riders on over an 8 average last year.These I class as the better standard of riders.The riders I want to see. Not riders on a 5 who have been about for years who aren't going to go anywhere.

As for what Kemp would gain from riding NL. He's 16 years old and has had 1 season riding in a league. I suspect any experience racing in a league will do him the power of good 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TurnTwo said:

Strictly speaking that isn’t all true. Riders like Kemp & Smith could well miss out on a team place - yes. The fact that drew will be in at Ipswich once he does 4 home and 4 away at Sheffield’s and has an average over 4.5 means he will have a team in both leagues because in fairness what will Drew gain out of riding in the national league next year anyway realistically other than turning up and taking home £400 a meeting for scoring 13+ purely from making good gates. Smith is never going to be a world beater and only has his high average due to his form round belle vue his away form is 2.88 points lower compared to people on or around his average such as Brennan, 1.73 points lower Thomas 1.48 lower and Flint 2.16 lower (and he spent most the season at reserve too). 

I do not agree entirely with the new points limit but I must admit the bspa have done a few good things:  - new two pointers to make there a continuity within the rules between leagues. It will push the riders like spooner and brooks into the main body to give them that next step, it means there is not so much pressure on the newbies to try and score 3 points a meeting minimum to equal their worth. And it will push riders like campos, Hopwood and Coles (if they have teams out of the league and Into the league above.) Realisitcally this league has become to professional it needs to find the happy medium between when it was conference league and the last couple of years. And it will be just as successful 

The championship had to be watered down so that there was a divide between the premiership and championship rightly so there hast to be a gap between NL and championship otherwise the championship promoters can’t sell their product at a high admission price because the national league offers the same. Yes it will inflate everyone’s averages but it will also make the league fairer in the view that even stoke have put together a very strong team so far and they were scraping for bottom end come last season. 

I think the gap from NL to 3nd tier has proved too big for many in recent years, so if anythingvthe NL needed strengthening to allow top prospects to get up to 2nd tier. The only league that needed altering was the 2nd tier, it was too close to top tier and too far ahead of the third tier.

All this is fine, if the reduction in quality is reflected in the admission price. If it's not, crowds will continue to fall.

41 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

All this is fine, if the reduction in quality is reflected in the admission price. If it's not, crowds will continue to fall.

I'm 99% sure admission at any club will not change.