British Speedway Forum
Brummies_Ste

Birmingham Brummies 2019

Agreed! First signing is Ulrich Ostergaard.

BIRMINGHAM have been promoted to the Speedway Great Britain Championship for 2019.
Club bosses have spent weeks mulling over the move and it means the Brummies’ four year stay in the National League is over, subject to the necessary paperwork being completed by the British Speedway Promoters’ Association.
It means the Perry Barr outfit will be returning to second tier racing for the first time since 2010 – and have already signed their first rider.
Danish star Ulrich Ostergaard will need little introduction to Brummies supporters after being a part of their comeback team when the club were revived in 2007.
Other team plans are also well underway and co-boss David Mason has paid tribute to the club’s supporters.
“I can only imagine how difficult and frustrating it has been for them over these past few weeks but we can’t thank them enough for sticking by us,” Mason said.“We didn’t really know what to tell them because we genuinely didn’t know which way we were heading; we were neither a Championship or a National League club at one stage.
"But we're now delighted to confirm we'll be moving up a league next season and we're hoping the news will go down well with our supporters.
“We’ve been close to tearing our hair out at times and the decision to stick or twist is one that has caused us many sleepless nights.
“But after weighing everything up and taking both the short and long term future of Birmingham Speedway into consideration, we feel moving up into the Championship is the best move for the club.
“We want each and every season to be a stepping stone and I think this move is exactly that.
“The Championship is already shaping up to be one hell of a league; we’re going to have some brilliantly entertaining racenights next year and it will be good for the supporters to renew some old rivalries against clubs they haven’t come up against for a while.
“We’ve had to plan accordingly and that means we had to talk to riders even though we didn’t know which league we’d be in.
“We’re delighted to have Ulrich on board as our first signing though; he’s a really solid rider at this level and his experience will be invaluable to everyone else in the team.
“He comes in on a 7.13 average – but he’s capable of even more than that.
“Last year a couple of injuries held him back, but he’s more determined than ever to kick on again and he jumped at the chance to come back to Birmingham where he’s enjoyed himself over a couple of spells previously.
“Things are coming together nicely behind the scenes and we’ll drip feed the news of signings between now and Christmas once everything is signed and sealed.
"This is the start of an exciting new chapter for Birmingham and we hope it's one that will be supported in good numbers too.
"I must say a huge thanks to Laurence (Rogers - team manager) who has been brilliant once again. He's been working more-or-less 24/7 on different things and I should also place on record my thanks to the British Speedway Promoters' Association as well for the support and guidance they've given us as a club over the past month or so."

No automatic alt text available.

• Like 1

Welcome back Birmingham Brummies :t:....I remember talking some friendly fans in Cardiff back when you were unsure about your future and they were devastated , maybe a bit far for a road trip for us up North...but saying that we made Rye House this season so you never know :D

• Like 1

This is great news but hopefully this is just the opening shot to a bigger picture. With the Commonwealth games coming to Perry Barr and large development of apartment towers due around the current stadium. I hope Birmingham City Council will work with the promotion to insure that speedway continues after the the regeneration of the area, at the very least assuring speedway can continue at the current location. Better still as a legacy to all types of sport after the Commonwealth games, build a truly dedicated site in Perry Barr park for motor / cycle sport. After all its right next to the one of the busiest roads in Europe, so noise pollution should not be a problem.

Edited by norternsoulthinkagain

Welcome back guys 

• Like 4

I’m not up to speed with CL is Ulrich a No 1 in that league, Tom Bacon will be a match winner for Birmingham what a boost for him moving up a League on a Track he rides so well 

• Like 1

Great to see the Brummies back , at last some positive news for British speedway 

• Like 1

Great to have Birmingham back where they belong, pleased for all you Brummies fans. The Championship has been really competitive in recent seasons and long may it continue.

Edited by SteelShoe
  • Like 1