British Speedway Forum
Brummies_Ste

Birmingham Brummies 2019

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

Looking forward to hearing the reason/s ???

Because outside of a small number of Italian tracks he has shown no kind of form at all

He has had chances in Britain before and failed badly

Well turned out and by all means a fantastic person but simply not goid enough

Employing low rate foreign riders in the Championship whilst improving British youngest have no place is madness for the sport

• Like 7

Ah Mattia Carpanese, there's a blast from the Comets past, If I remember rightly he even scored a paid maximum once.

6 times Italian champion, 5/6 GP appearences, i'd say unfortunately for Brummies fans Carpanese was better than Castagna!

Edited by Marksman

38 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Because outside of a small number of Italian tracks he has shown no kind of form at all

He has had chances in Britain before and failed badly

Well turned out and by all means a fantastic person but simply not goid enough

Employing low rate foreign riders in the Championship whilst improving British youngest have no place is madness for the sport

No,.......I meant 'I'm looking forward to hearing the reasons why Danyon hasnt been signed ???

• Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 8:07 PM, screm said:

Drip feed of information happens everywhere , just look at the build up of teams so far. For example Ipswich have yet to name a single rider but Chris Louis has confirmed he has actually signed four riders.

That’s because Louis’ preference is to name the team in one go. As soon as rider number 7 is signed, he’ll name the team. 

He never has been one to “drip feed” his septet. 

3 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

No,.......I meant 'I'm looking forward to hearing the reasons why Danyon hasnt been signed ???

Fair enough - arent we all

It not often I go into rant mode but this is one such time!

• Like 1

It wouldn't surprise me if their was some sort of deal in place whereby Paco cost Birmingham very little. The Costagna family may well be funding his latest British adventure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uk_martin said:

I wonder if Ipswich will be as generous with Michael Hartel? Do the 4 meetings he rode for them even qualify for becoming an asset? Wouldn't mind betting he's got a lot of improvement in him, and the Witches won't be able to take him into the Premiership with them this year, so maybe there's a rider that the Brummies could invest in?

Hartel is an Ipswich asset. He became one before a wheel had been turned apparently    

Dont ask me how riders become “assets” these days, I’ve long given up trying to understand the criteria for becoming one

8 minutes ago, wtf said:

It wouldn't surprise me if their was some sort of deal in place whereby Paco cost Birmingham very little. The Costagna family may well be funding his latest British adventure.

If we are slipping further into paid for rides then there really is little hope for the sport.....

• Like 2

That is a disgraceful signing by Birmingham,  he comes in on an assessed average of four,  he will never achieve that,  when they could have  used Dan Hume  a young British rider who will improve,  and  served  them well in the National league.

I wonder how many meetings the Italian will miss for Italian championship, GP challenge.

The last time I saw him at Sheffield he was  dreadful 

No wonder speedway in this country is in such dire straits.

• Like 1

Certainly an interesting signing.

I'm going to be in the minority and say Paco will do quite well for Birmingham.

He was poor the last time he rode in the PL mostly because he truly hated the Ipswich track (like most riders do in fairness).

Before that, I seem to recall he had some solid scores for Sheffield.

If he takes to the Birmingham track, and I think he will, he'll be a solid reserve.

Paco Castagna     Sheffield   2015        8 matches    30 rides     25 points      8 bonus      GSA   3.33      AVG 4.40     won 1 race out of 30 rides..

Don,t look that good !!!!!!

We can't base his 'current' form on his performances 3 years ago ? surely he's improved since then ?

It's not his ability, or lack of that's the issue....it's signing him at the expense of future British talent !

Over to the manager to explain? which he usually does quite well in fairness ?

4 hours ago, Osirian08 said:

Oh dear, this is like the bad old days of signing Carpanese all over again....

Why? Just because he's Italian? Er, because ALL Italians are the same, right? Or maybe it's just like signing Julius Ceasar all over again? He was Italian too.

At least, unlike a lot of other foreign imports into the Championship, after Brexit, when foreigners have to prove their worth to get work permits, Castagna can show that he IS a regular in the Italian international pair/team.

24 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

We can't base his 'current' form on his performances 3 years ago ? surely he's improved since then ?

It's not his ability, or lack of that's the issue....it's signing him at the expense of future British talent !

Over to the manager to explain? which he usually does quite well in fairness ?

Why do you think he hasn’t ridden over here for the last 3 years ?

2 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

Why? Just because he's Italian? Er, because ALL Italians are the same, right? Or maybe it's just like signing Julius Ceasar all over again? He was Italian too.

At least, unlike a lot of other foreign imports into the Championship, after Brexit, when foreigners have to prove their worth to get work permits, Castagna can show that he IS a regular in the Italian international pair/team.

I never insinuated ALL Italians were the same,  please don't put words into my mouth just to try & sound like a smart ass

Like previous posters. I'm unconvinced that parachuting in yet another foreign import over developing home grown talent is the right path to take.

• Like 1