British Speedway Forum
Brummies_Ste

Birmingham Brummies 2019

24 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

We can't base his 'current' form on his performances 3 years ago ? surely he's improved since then ?

It's not his ability, or lack of that's the issue....it's signing him at the expense of future British talent !

Over to the manager to explain? which he usually does quite well in fairness ?

Welcome to the difference between the National League and the Championship. Unlike the National League, the Championship isn't run as a Social Service. Unless the Brummies can sign someone up as an asset, that rider will cost loan fees, which is money that the Brummies have to be very careful about. As I said before, teams (like Ipswich as an example) who could sign assets for fun whilst the Brummies were in the "assets-verboten" NL, can subsidise their business with the income from loan fees. A luxury that the Brummies don't have. YET! It'll take many, many years for the Brummies to build up a viable asset base, and until then, if the choice has to be between a foreigner who might get 4 or 5 points and not cost a loan fee, and a Brit who might get 4 or 5 points, get damaged in the process and cost several thousands in loan fees, have a guess which the business decision will favour?

• Like 1

All this  nonsense about him becoming an asset, A asset is only any good if it’s worth anything. 

7 hours ago, Marksman said:

Ah Mattia Carpanese, there's a blast from the Comets past, If I remember rightly he even scored a paid maximum once.

6 times Italian champion, 5/6 GP appearences, i'd say unfortunately for Brummies fans Carpanese was better than Castagna!

and i think that max came AWAY @ stoke .if i remember correctly ! ! !

You think riders sign as a asset for free no chance they will get a hefty signing on fee probably even more than the loan fee for a rider 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, mac101 said:

You think riders sign as a asset for free no chance they will get a hefty signing on fee probably even more than the loan fee for a rider 

Possibly so, but with the long term in view, do you buy or do you rent forever? Which is the cheaper option in the long term? Those who have to put their money with their mouths are, have decided to buy. Personally, a long term view being taken here is reassuring for the general future of speedway in Birmingham. Maybe you're not as interested in that as a Brummies fan would be, I dunno. But how about we make judgements on Castagnas performances 4 months after the start of the season, rather than 4 months before?

Whether we agree or not with the signing of Paco over Danyon (I also would've loved to see Danyon back) , surely we have to trust the decisions made by our promotion. They will have done their homework surely - they are hardly going to jeopardise their investment are they? 

2 minutes ago, kitten2502 said:

Whether we agree or not with the signing of Paco over Danyon (I also would've loved to see Danyon back) , surely we have to trust the decisions made by our promotion. They will have done their homework surely - they are hardly going to jeopardise their investment are they? 

It's a very strange decision...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BluPanther said:

It's a very strange decision...

That's as maybe, but they will live or die by it...……….at the end of it all it's their money & project at risk.

Strange to sign Castagna over Hume.. They say that things happen for a reason... And i hope the reason is for bigger and better things for Hume. I hope someone else picks him up and when he goes back to Birmingham it bites the Brummies on the bum! :t:  

• Like 3

I don't mind not signing Hume, but having missed out on Flint and now signed Castagna to ride at reserve, and paying more for the privilege of him being a fairly worthless asset in all likelihood, I'm a little underwhelmed.

Like the Morris signing but very meh about the other two at this stage. Good last 4 though will change that viewpoint around.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, uk_martin said:

Possibly so, but with the long term in view, do you buy or do you rent forever? Which is the cheaper option in the long term? Those who have to put their money with their mouths are, have decided to buy. Personally, a long term view being taken here is reassuring for the general future of speedway in Birmingham. Maybe you're not as interested in that as a Brummies fan would be, I dunno. But how about we make judgements on Castagnas performances 4 months after the start of the season, rather than 4 months before?

You may only need 4 laps to make up your mind :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

You may only need 4 laps to make up your mind :P

Are you back here again. Now skidaddle,  and move yourself to the other section like you said. :o:P

See you tomorrow but.:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When you check out the BSPA site and go to the Championship 2019 Team line ups page you discover two things. Firstly Eastbourne and Birmingham are not listed and, at the top of the page, the following statement : -

NOTE: New teams entering the Championship in the 2019 season will be added to this list when they have completed the official entry criteria and logged it with the BSPA Head Office.

I have to wonder if one of the entry criteria required is to have a certain amount of Assetts. This would explain choosing Paco over Danyon who I sincerely hope will ride for us again another season.

15 minutes ago, guitar_art said:

When you check out the BSPA site and go to the Championship 2019 Team line ups page you discover two things. Firstly Eastbourne and Birmingham are not listed and, at the top of the page, the following statement : -

NOTE: New teams entering the Championship in the 2019 season will be added to this list when they have completed the official entry criteria and logged it with the BSPA Head Office.

I have to wonder if one of the entry criteria required is to have a certain amount of Assetts. This would explain choosing Paco over Danyon who I sincerely hope will ride for us again another season.

If you don't have enough, or any assets, the BSPA give you a figure you must lodge with them, in addition to the mandatory bond which is held to cover speedway losses if you can't continue. If say Hulme was their rider, and his estimated value was £1500, and the minimum asset value for each club in your league was say £15k, you would have to pledge the difference which would be £13.5K

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This just doesn’t seem correct, The entrance cost at Birmingham this Season is £16.50 for an Adult, For 15 meetings this would cost £247.50.

Now a season Ticket cost £232.50 for 15 meetings which would be  a saving of £15 

Is this value for money