British Speedway Forum
Brummies_Ste

Birmingham Brummies 2019

2 hours ago, Brummie Boy said:

I would opt for Shanes..........seeems to have got overlooked at Sheffield. Again its looks like a good british youngster missing out through the Tigers bringing in foreigners (Nicol & Kennedy). Yes.....I know the Brummies have brought in a new Dane and an Italian. I am not taking a dig at Sheffield, it's just the realities of British speedway.

If we were all clammering to include Tom Bacon in the team, why not James; as he only just finished second to Tom in the Brummies averages last year. Still only 21, so still relatively young. Seen him have some good rides over the years. I would also worry about Mitchell Davey comming back after such a serious injury last year. It would be good to see Mitchell in a Brummies race jacket this year, but given the team the Brummies will have in 2019 I don't think we can afford to take the risk with Mitch.

I totally agree with Shanes over Davey, I just thought that the management have a close relationship with Mitch?

Ideally, we could do with someone with a bit more of a 'punch' than both riders....imo!

I'm fed up of reading about 'our' 2 new foreign riders not being good enough ??? it's obvious that we've had to take them on due to the stupid 'asset' rule!

Instead of an 'ass'-et  rule, there should be a 'minimum' Brit inclusion rule imo!

Just now, GiveusaB said:

I totally agree with Shanes over Davey, I just thought that the management have a close relationship with Mitch?

Ideally, we could do with someone with a bit more of a 'punch' than both riders....imo!

I'm fed up of reading about 'our' 2 new foreign riders not being good enough ??? it's obvious that we've had to take them on due to the stupid 'asset' rule!

Instead of an 'ass'-et  rule, there should be a 'minimum' Brit inclusion rule imo!

What asset rule? 

44 minutes ago, DC2 said:

What asset rule? 

Ooops ? : ) 

I thought I read somewhere that Championship teams have to have a minimum of 'asset' riders?

Oh well.....

6 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Ooops ? : ) 

I thought I read somewhere that Championship teams have to have a minimum of 'asset' riders?

Oh well.....

Still do, but can lodge funds in lieu of the assets value.. 

• Like 1

On 12/15/2018 at 2:18 PM, Trackerman48 said:

uk martin name the riders bham was stripped of assets? Think you will find the riders on the list would neaver ride again anyway?

Ludwig lindren

2 hours ago, Brummie Boy said:

I would opt for Shanes..........seeems to have got overlooked at Sheffield. Again its looks like a good british youngster missing out through the Tigers bringing in foreigners (Nicol & Kennedy). Yes.....I know the Brummies have brought in a new Dane and an Italian. I am not taking a dig at Sheffield, it's just the realities of British speedway.

If we were all clammering to include Tom Bacon in the team, why not James; as he only just finished second to Tom in the Brummies averages last year. Still only 21, so still relatively young. Seen him have some good rides over the years. I would also worry about Mitchell Davey comming back after such a serious injury last year. It would be good to see Mitchell in a Brummies race jacket this year, but given the team the Brummies will have in 2019 I don't think we can afford to take the risk with Mitch.

I think that there are a number of reasons why Sheffield did not go with James.

(1) Both Nichol and Kennedy come in on 4 point averages, Shanes is 4 .96 so would have took us over the 38 point limit.

(2) Both Nichol and Kennedy will become assets of the club, Shanes is Poole asset, and would require a loan fee or transfer fee to make him an asset.

(3) Due to changes beyond the clubs control we have move race days from Thursday nights to Sunday afternoon's, Shanes rides Longtrack and Grasstrack at quite a few weekends so it would not be wise for the club to sign him.  

Looks a woeful team will be bottom by a distance no heatleaders at all,will take some absolute batterings away, looks very much a team done on the cheap. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hopey said:

Ludwig lindren

Danny King

5 hours ago, Brummie Boy said:

2 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

GiveusaB, I don't think I said either Tobias or Paco were not good enough. My post was more lamenting how British Speedway seems almost to be designed to prevent promising British riders getting the opportunities they deserve. Foreign riders add interest to British Speedway, but it seems to be the home grown riders who get squeezed out. And yes I am fully aware of both sides of the argument................!!!!

I am more than happy to give Tobias and Paco a chance to prove themselves. After all a certain Nico Covatti proved to be a bit of a surprise signing at one time. On the face of it the 2019 Brummies look a little weaker than others, with an absence of top end strength, but its a solid team and they should have a good chance of having a strong reserve pairing through the year (always useful to have). Being positive, it only takes a couple of riders to hit a rich vain of confidence and up their average to provide backing to Ulrich and the Brummies may well be dark horses in the league. If not, then the 2019 season will likely be full of some great racing, with some close and entertaining matches at Perry Barr.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Brummie Boy said:

GiveusaB, I don't think I said either Tobias or Paco were not good enough. My post was more lamenting how British Speedway seems almost to be designed to prevent promising British riders getting the opportunities they deserve. Foreign riders add interest to British Speedway, but it seems to be the home grown riders who get squeezed out. And yes I am fully aware of both sides of the argument................!!!!

I am more than happy to give Tobias and Paco a chance to prove themselves. After all a certain Nico Covatti proved to be a bit of a surprise signing at one time. On the face of it the 2019 Brummies look a little weaker than others, with an absence of top end strength, but its a solid team and they should have a good chance of having a strong reserve pairing through the year (always useful to have). Being positive, it only takes a couple of riders to hit a rich vain of confidence and up their average to provide backing to Ulrich and the Brummies may well be dark horses in the league. If not, then the 2019 season will likely be full of some great racing, with some close and entertaining matches at Perry Barr.

I wasn't aiming my comments at you BB :)

1 hour ago, Brummie Boy said:

...On the face of it the 2019 Brummies look a little weaker than others, with an absence of top end strength, but its a solid team and they should have a good chance of having a strong reserve pairing through the year ...

It may be an intersting academic exercise to see which team "owns" it's top end strength and how many teams have their top riders "vulnerable" to the perils of doubling up if a Premiership team has first call on them. This could be a bit of a leveller if the "best" riders are unavailable to some teams.

2 hours ago, hopey said:

Ludwig lindren

1 hour ago, *JJ said:

Danny King

Nico Covatti

Possibly Ben Barker too, although I can't fully remember how that dispute with Mick Horton over Barker ended up.

17 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

It may be an intersting academic exercise to see which team "owns" it's top end strength and how many teams have their top riders "vulnerable" to the perils of doubling up if a Premiership team has first call on them. This could be a bit of a leveller if the "best" riders are unavailable to some teams.

Fixed race nights for both leagues means that should not happen.

Injuries is a different matter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, uk_martin said:

Nico Covatti

Possibly Ben Barker too, although I can't fully remember how that dispute with Mick Horton over Barker ended up.

Alan Phillips didn't pay the whole of the transfer fee, so the deal fell through IIRC.