British Speedway Forum
Brummies_Ste

Birmingham Brummies 2019

2 hours ago, uk_martin said:

Nico Covatti

Possibly Ben Barker too, although I can't fully remember how that dispute with Mick Horton over Barker ended up.

Ended up paying a loan fee I believe.

Edited by Woz01

5 hours ago, Osirian08 said:

Birmingham still not listed as a Championship club for 2019 on the official website ?

30 minutes ago, guitar_art said:

Neither is Eastbourne

IF they did that, their web site wouldn't be able to withstand the volume of traffic. :nono:

18 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Some of those 2 pointers will be like Bickley this year  wont even average much more over  two points. saying that  the league does seem easier in 2019.Will Ruddick, Chessell,Bailey, Lawlor,Kinsley,( ect) average 3.79? i hope i am wrong and i am glad these young Brits are getting a chance i hope some push on.

They don’t have to average 3.79, they just have to improve as well or better than Hume would by putting more on their average. If, for example Hume and a two pointer both have scope to put 0.5 on their starting figure then the obvious choice is the two pointer to leave more team building points further up the order. 

5 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

They don’t have to average 3.79, they just have to improve as well or better than Hume would by putting more on their average. If, for example Hume and a two pointer both have scope to put 0.5 on their starting figure then the obvious choice is the two pointer to leave more team building points further up the order. 

Not when it is Castagna Ben!!! who has failed badly in the past.The English guy should always get the nod by doing ok in the champs his converted average 3.79 that has gone against him.He averaged well over 5 at home and  was only really behind Bacon, Kemp, in the Champs averages.Look at Glasgow's reserves they will be lucky to score 3/5 points a meeting between them.

3 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Not when it is Castagna Ben!!! who has failed badly in the past.The English guy should always get the nod by doing ok in the champs his converted average 3.79 that has gone against him.He averaged well over 5 at home and  was only really behind Bacon, Kemp, in the Champs averages.Look at Glasgow's reserves they will be lucky to score 3/5 points a meeting between them.

And Hume has a potentially unappealing history with injuries. I’m sure there’s a reason Birmingham have gone with Castagna over Hume. 

Ideally we’d see the British lads fixed up first but it’s a sport, we can’t be telling teams who they can and can’t sign based on nationality, unless it’s a rule enforced across the board. There are riders who get frozen out because of the numbers game and yes it’s sad but that’s the nature of the beast. 

Edited by Ben91

11 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

And Hume has a potentially unappealing history with injuries. I’m sure there’s a reason Birmingham have gone with Castagna over Hume. 

Ideally we’d see the British lads fixed up first but it’s a sport, we can’t be telling teams who they can and can’t sign based on nationality, unless it’s a rule enforced across the board. There are riders who get frozen out because of the numbers game and yes it’s sad but that’s the nature of the beast. 

Of course injuries have gone against him but  if he can regroup he will be fine and he will show he is a Championship rider. Castagna there is certainly another reason he is in above Hume and it is not because of having more ability.

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Not when it is Castagna Ben!!! who has failed badly in the past....

Some of us remember Charles Wright wobbling around Workington and trailing half a mile behind the others in 2007/8, thinking "would he be in the team if his brother, James (a former Birmingham asset) wasn't there too"?

And look at him now. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, uk_martin said:

Some of us remember Charles Wright wobbling around Workington and trailing half a mile behind the others in 2007/8, thinking "would he be in the team if his brother, James (a former Birmingham asset) wasn't there too"?

And look at him now. 

I can remember Sam Ermolenko in his hair raising days who was nearly wiping everyone out and he went on to be World Champion.You  predict what you think Castagna can average in 2019.???

7 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

I can remember Sam Ermolenko in his hair raising days who was nearly wiping everyone out and he went on to be World Champion.You  predict what you think Castagna can average in 2019.???

When exactly was this Sidney? I can only assume 84 as that was his debut season (aside from 4 meets in 83) and he averaged 6.71 in the top flight.. before being in a run off for World Title the following season?

I'm sure there are better examples.. 

Just now, BWitcher said:

When exactly was this Sidney? I can only assume 84 as that was his debut season (aside from 4 meets in 83) and he averaged 6.71 in the top flight.. before being in a run off for World Title the following season?

I'm sure there are better examples.. 

Ask Michael Lee in 1983 end of October dangerous is not the word.My point was i never see him ever being a World Champion but fair play went on and had  a great career.

So, with 5.54 to play with,,are there any 'Championship' experts out there who can guess who our final acquisition might be ?

Having been stuck in the NL for so long, I've lost touch with the 'Championship' talent?

20 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

So, with 5.54 to play with,,are there any 'Championship' experts out there who can guess who our final acquisition might be ?

Having been stuck in the NL for so long, I've lost touch with the 'Championship' talent?

The problem with the final signing is there is a huge difference between should be, could be and most likely will be. To maximise the points usage Theo Pijper, to maximise crowd support James Shanes but i suspect asset base building will continue being the driving force so Michael Hartel, Jonas Jeppesen or similar new assessed rider will take the final place.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

End of last seasons averages are here:

http://www.speedwaygb.co.uk/files/downloads/c18_issue_25.pdf

• Like 1