British Speedway Forum
Brummies_Ste

Birmingham Brummies 2019

The proposed apartment blocks are no nearer than the university halls of residence or lecture rooms were and they failed with their noise complaints. Surely any prospective residents HAVE to be made aware of the sporting activities and noise consequences - if they are not already aware - and signing up for one of those properties constitutes a disclaimer for complaint.

Edited by kitten2502
  • Like 1

New house should be build with so much sound proofing when the windows are closed you won't hear a thing 

Some of the new apartments will be closer and taller with and more populated and most importantly a year round residency and ownership, not just students renting for a few months over 2 or 3 years. I'm not here to rock the boat i'm just highlighting the new planning of 20/12/18, I hope I really hope it wont be an issue but …....

Edited by Pirio Barre

On 12/22/2018 at 1:33 PM, ch958 said:

people complaining about the team should just reflect that the chances of ending the season with the same 7 you start with are nil. No one ever does

I noticed this a while ago. It would have been better so say "You don't have to keep the team the same if it isn't working" because changing is indeed easy, far too easy really. However it's always best to start with the right team. Edinburgh started and finished with the same team in 2014, 2015 and 2017, and made one change only in 2013 and 2016. Sadly last year was another story.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Stewart said:

I noticed this a while ago. It would have been better so say "You don't have to keep the team the same if it isn't working" because changing is indeed easy, far too easy really. However it's always best to start with the right team. Edinburgh started and finished with the same team in 2014, 2015 and 2017, and made one change only in 2013 and 2016. Sadly last year was another story.

yes it would have been better to say that but it would be better still if the site wasn't full of smartarses deliberately misconstruing your meaning. I was trying to assuage worries - now i hope they finish bottom

59 minutes ago, ch958 said:

yes it would have been better to say that but it would be better still if the site wasn't full of smartarses deliberately misconstruing your meaning. I was trying to assuage worries - now i hope they finish bottom

Thanks!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, kitten2502 said:

The proposed apartment blocks are no nearer than the university halls of residence or lecture rooms were and they failed with their noise complaints. Surely any prospective residents HAVE to be made aware of the sporting activities and noise consequences - if they are not already aware - and signing up for one of those properties constitutes a disclaimer for complaint.

They will then be rented as homes after the games.  Low cost homes !!

Has everyone already forgotten the legal case that Mildenhall got embroiled with, and eventually lost?

I don't imagine that the developers are unaware of the presence of the speedway and will be prepared to undertake noise testing if the City Council believe that it is necessary. However, the speedway club have full planning permission subject to conditions which have all been complied with, has established a very good rapport with the Perry Barr Councillors, and there have been no complaints about noise made to either the Council, the local councillors or to the speedway promotion for the last five or six years.

The stadium is sited on two of Birmingham's busiest roads, the A34 Walsall Road, and Aldridge Road which both have very high levels of traffic throughout the day. During the planning application process, extensive noise testing was conducted by the council (at the speedway promotion's expense!) and which they (the Council) were satisfied with (albeit after the introduction of the new silencers) the Environmental Services officer stating that it "met all three of their criteria." (We were never told what these criteria were).

The University declined to send an observer to these tests preferring to conduct their own testing, and were caught red-handed doing this with their microphone sited on the pavement outside the stadium! As an experiment, we then conducted another test whilst a speedway match was in progress, with our microphones placed outside the closest entrance door of the University (as they wouldn't allow us inside!). We then repeated the test from the same spot at 2pm on the following afternoon and found that the latter test produced a noise level almost 10db higher than that of the previous evening. We made known this result to the Council and although it was never acknowledged by them, we think it was probably a major factor in us eventually getting a full planning consent.

I agree though, that it is quite likely that sooner or later, the issue of noise will be raised but I am personally reasonably confident that this will not become a major problem especially since the City Council have gone on record as expressing a preference that Perry Barr should be retained as a Greyhound Racing venue at the expense of Hall Green "because it also stages speedway and other sporting events." This comment was made during the debate on whether or not a planning consent should be granted for demolishing Hall Green Stadium two years ago, and is shown in writing on the planning committee records. 

• Like 4

The Commonwealth Games Athletes Village, which will be converted post-games to a mix of social and owner-occupied homes, has a couple of game changing aspects to it. As Brian Buck mentioned, the stadium has two main roads around it at the moment, but with the plan to divert the Aldridge Road, and with the use of the current 2nd hand truck dealership as new housing land will come the prospect of "full time" housing being literally "over the road" on two sides of the stadium. This is a step change to the current housing situation, where Wellhead Lane, Nash Square and the Perry Hall estate are all further away and have obstructions between them and the stadium, which shields the noise to some degree.

We have to be realistic, and with the prospect of 1500-odd new householders coming into the area, you can't hide from the prospect that one of them may be an elderly person in need of peace and quiet, or that others don't find speedway to be "in their culture" and would rather have a super-mosque built there. Sadly the legal precident set in the Mildenhall case a couple of years ago makes it clear that coming into a neighbourhood with an existing noise issue, doesn't prevent you from complaining about it and getting it dealt with. Unlike Mildenhall, where the problem went away when the complainants house mysteriously burnt down, there will be more than one house to contend when the new Perry Barr redevelopment is finished.

11 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

or that others don't find speedway to be "in their culture" and would rather have a super-mosque built there.

I always understood there was some sort of preservation order on the grandstand at the greyhound track, which has been an obstruction to previous plans to redevelop the site for things like housing or industrial use. I presume this is likely to remain in place, whether speedway takes place on the site or not. Also, given the massive amount of redevelopment taking place in Perry Barr for the games, I would imagine the stadium site would have been acquired (under compulsory purchase) for inclusion in the redevelopment if there had not been a preservation order in place.

I am not 100% certain of this, so I stand to be corrected on this if someone knows the current position with the stadium grandstand.

Yes, the grandstand (or part of it), is a grade 2 listed building, and there is also a covenant stating that the land must be used for sport. There are of course though, ways and means of getting round these "obstacles" where there is a will to do so, so we can't totally rely on this for our future salvation. As things stand though, there is little or nothing that we can do but wait and see.

As UK Martin lives pretty close to the stadium, perhaps he can give an indication of how the very close "locals" feel about the development?

3 hours ago, brianbuck said:

As UK Martin lives pretty close to the stadium, perhaps he can give an indication of how the very close "locals" feel about the development?

To be honest, I don't think that it's an issue that's really hit the public imagination. My own guess is that most people will welcome the demolition and redevelopment of what is in all honesty an eyesore, and although the athletes village / housing scheme has received planning approval, other connected matters are still in the process of getting approved.

There are small groups of residents who have objections to this thing or that...e.g. the domolition of the fly-over that separates the stadium from the One Stop Shopping Centre, and the introduction of extra bus lanes, but there's a general feeling that no matter how much people jump up and down about their little gripes, this thing is going ahead, so let's make the best of it.

There is a pubished Compulsary Purchase Order Zone, and the Stadium is not part of it. Full details can be seen here - https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/20054/planning_strategies_and_policies/1838/perry_barr_commonwealth_games_athletes_village_and_wider_regeneration_compulsory_purchase_order

I'm aware of the Deed of Covenant that "protects" the sporting purposes of the land that the stadium sits on, but just recently, a doctors surgery has been converted to an Islamic Academy, another independent "faith school" has been built on the old IMI factory site, and there is a planning application in the system for Perry Barr Police Station to be demolished and a mosque built in its place. There are even rumours of the Seventh Trap pub being demolished and a mosque being there too.  Join the dots to see which way this is panning out into the future. 

One of the Artists impressions from the Council documentation. You can see the stadium in it, and you can see how close a lot of living accommodation will be. Imagine this projection to be taken from above and behind the existing bus garage, looking westwards towards the One Stop Shopping Centre.

0_Masterplan.png

Out of interest, the plan is that Aldridge Road that currently goes straight from the stadium to the "Crown & Cushion Roundabout" will be diverted around the stadium. Basically the road that's there now, will be widened and made dual-directional, meeting up with Walsall Road, near where the fly-over currently stands. Walsall Road will be "straightened out" to follow the route of the flyover, but at ground level, straight to the Crown & Cushion roundabout. 

The railway station and the shops adjoining it, and those over the road from it are also subject to compulsary purchase, so expect a new rail / bus interchange station to be built there, and the eyesore slum shops to be a thing of the past. These things are not shown in this drawing though.

Looking at CPO sheet 2 part of the stadium ground is included - somebody needs to ensure that the promotion are aware of this - over to you Brian Buck.