British Speedway Forum
Brummies_Ste

Birmingham Brummies 2019

7 hours ago, kitten2502 said:

Looking at CPO sheet 2 part of the stadium ground is included - somebody needs to ensure that the promotion are aware of this - over to you Brian Buck.

Indeed, a corner of the car park could be lost to facilitate the Aldridge Road diversion and widening.

On 12/28/2018 at 9:44 PM, uk_martin said:

Has everyone already forgotten the legal case that Mildenhall got embroiled with, and eventually lost?

Do bear in mind that the law on noise pollution changes after 11pm, there were a number of examples at Mildenhall where the complainants claimed motor sport activity on the moto cross course behind the main stadium had exceeded this and in one instance between midnight and 1 am. Allegedly some car meetings over ran beyond 11pm too, I clearly recall Peter Thorogood not being able to get onto the track some Saturdays until the early hours and worked through the night to prepare a Speedway surface.

1 hour ago, Byker Biker said:

Do bear in mind that the law on noise pollution changes after 11pm, there were a number of examples at Mildenhall where the complainants claimed motor sport activity on the moto cross course behind the main stadium had exceeded this and in one instance between midnight and 1 am. Allegedly some car meetings over ran beyond 11pm too, I clearly recall Peter Thorogood not being able to get onto the track some Saturdays until the early hours and worked through the night to prepare a Speedway surface.

The speedway at Perry Barr rigidly finishes at 10pm.  No other form of motor sport takes place at the stadium: it's in the Planning Permission.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Byker Biker said:

47 minutes ago, *JJ said:

The speedway at Perry Barr rigidly finishes at 10pm.  No other form of motor sport takes place at the stadium: it's in the Planning Permission.

Firstly, we are taking about Civil Law, specifically the Tort of "Nuisance", not Criminal Law, so "laws" on Noise Polution are not in question.

Secondly, none of the above gets around the legal point which was made by the judges ruling, that moving into an area where there is a pre-existing noise "nuisance", shouldn't prevent you from taking legal action against it.  Those who think that they can come and "change the world for the better" have that element of legal support now. And as this is a precident set as far up as in the House of Lords, it is binding on all lower courts too. And don't think that an appeal to the European Courts will change things, the Brexit voters cut off that avenue for the future.

Edited by uk_martin

1 hour ago, uk_martin said:

Firstly, we are taking about Civil Law, specifically the Tort of "Nuisance", not Criminal Law, so "laws" on Noise Polution are not in question.

Secondly, none of the above gets around the legal point which was made by the judges ruling, that moving into an area where there is a pre-existing noise "nuisance", shouldn't prevent you from taking legal action against it.  Those who think that they can come and "change the world for the better" have that element of legal support now. And as this is a precident set as far up as in the House of Lords, it is binding on all lower courts too. And don't think that an appeal to the European Courts will change things, the Brexit voters cut off that avenue for the future.

Oh right, we're all fluffed then not just Birmingham!

My belief is that the Mildenhall case is unique in that the objection was persued by an extremist who evidently had the financial means to go to the lengths he did (although it is true that the stock car activities did sometimes go on until the small hours, so there would certainly have been at least a degree of justification for complaining.) Whether anyone living in Perry Barr would want or have the means to go to these extremes is debatable, but no doubt there will be some who sense that by complaining they could get a council tax reduction.

I would imagine that if the redevelopment plans include nicking some of the car parking area, then there will be a consultation with the stadium owners - who are not the GRA but are the City Council who lease the site to the GRA. The speedway promotion do have regular meetings with the GRA and have a very good relationship with them, so the matter of this redevelopment plan is certain to be raised.

7 hours ago, Byker Biker said:

Oh right, we're all fluffed then not just Birmingham!

Potentially...I've heard of cases (including one in Digbeth, I think) where people have moved in close to pubs that had regular music events, which could just about be heard outside of the pub, and the same legal precident was used in the stopping of the live music. It's not just speedway that this affects.

2 hours ago, brianbuck said:

My belief is that the Mildenhall case is unique in that the objection was persued by an extremist who evidently had the financial means to go to the lengths he did...

Whatever he was, the fact that it went to the House of Lords, means that local County Courts have a binding precedent to follow in the future. Future cases won't need the same level of financial clout unless it goes to appeal. Not sure if Legal Aid is available for these kind of claims either. If it is, anyone suitably clued up could be a "threat".

But at least it'll be some while away. It'll be 2022 when the Commonwealth Games take place, so it will be 2023 before the accommodation has been converted to house families etc. So another 4 or 5 years to prepare.

I thought there was new legislation coming in where pre existing facilities near to new developments were exempt from noise issues?

Edited by Woz01

On 12/29/2018 at 5:05 PM, brianbuck said:

Yes, the grandstand (or part of it), is a grade 2 listed building, and there is also a covenant stating that the land must be used for sport. There are of course though, ways and means of getting round these "obstacles" where there is a will to do so, so we can't totally rely on this for our future salvation. As things stand though, there is little or nothing that we can do but wait and see.

As UK Martin lives pretty close to the stadium, perhaps he can give an indication of how the very close "locals" feel about the development?

Don’t rely on the ‘Used for Sports Covenant, that was in place at Cleveland Park, Middlesbrough 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/35802685/live-music-venues-get-new-protection-from-housing-developersThis music event legislation came in on March 2016,

music events that go on for hours are safe,but about 15 minutes of racing is not ????

what with the widening of the road between the proposed build and the track which will

have more noise coming from it, are they going to move all the bus routes as well ? ?

Any Way ..................................................... have a HAPPY NEW YEAR   ..................K R O

Edited by Bluenose
mistake made

22 hours ago, Bluenose said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/35802685/live-music-venues-get-new-protection-from-housing-developersThis music event legislation came in on March 2016,

music events that go on for hours are safe,but about 15 minutes of racing is not ????...

...are they going to move all the bus routes as well ? ?

To the first point, I guess a lot will depend on what is considered to be in the public interest. Bear in mind that one decently attended concert at a live music venue will attract more people and younger people than the average crowd at many speedway stadiums.

To the second point, there are moves to encourage public and sustainable transport and to discourage private motoring. The City Centre will have a Carbon Curtain drawn around the Middle Ring Road in 2020, so that anyone heading to or through the city centre wil have to pay £10 for the privilage. The focus of this new "green agenda" will be on "moving people, not moving cars". So who knows what the noise situation from the roads will be in a few years time.

On 12/31/2018 at 9:11 AM, Woz01 said:

I thought there was new legislation coming in where pre existing facilities near to new developments were exempt from noise issues?

It's embedded in a policy called the Planning Framework which is a Government Policy issuing guidelines to local Planning Committees, the next one comes into play late January 2019 and is for all new planning applications. My understanding is that applications made and granted prior to this will be under the previous guidelines issued in 2012 so the new guidelines cannot be used retrospectively - it's a bit like the SCB Regulations they'll make their mind up at the time!

BIRMINGHAM have appointed Terry Chrabaszcz as their new track curator for the 2019 season.

He takes over from the outgoing duo of John Priest and Arthur Browning who will both be enjoying retirement.

Chrabaszcz already has experience of working on the Perry Barr circuit having been a member of the track team during the Brummies’ previous senior league racing days.

Co-owner David Mason said: “First and foremost we would like to wish John and Arthur all the best for the future.

“They’ve spent many, many hours over the past few years ensuring Birmingham have had a quality racing surface on racenights; they’ve done a great job and we hope they come and visit us at points throughout the season.

“Once we knew they wouldn’t be with us for the 2019 season we wanted to get someone with equal amounts of, if not more, experience than them.

“Terry ticks all the boxes; he’s worked on the Perry Barr track before, he’s local which is a big bonus, and he’s got so much knowledge and expertise when it comes to track preparation.

“He’s worked on numerous tracks up and down the country over the years and the way he turned Stoke around last season was unbelievable from what I’m told.

“Obviously we’re moving up into the Championship this year and this calibre of rider prefer a totally different surface to the National League boys.

“So we’re going to be putting some more shale down before the start of the new season and there’ll be plenty more dirt out there if the boys want it.

“With the team of battlers and entertainers we’ve got plus the fact we’re going to have a new approach to track preparation, I really do believe we’re in for some breathtaking racing and some fantastic meetings this year.”

• Like 1

Not only do any news items on the BSPA website have the disclaimer but it is not possible to get to the club website as Eastbourne and Birmingham don't exist according to the list of teams in the league. If I was of a suspicious nature I would be thinking that someone wanted to sabotage their entries and if I was in charge at either club I would tell the BSPA that either the links are restored or I would be moving back to the National League which might ruffle a few feathers that need ruffling big time. 

The fact that both teams who moved from Championship to Premiership appeared immediately makes you wonder how they got accepted so quickly! Does the BSPA want to make Speedway grow or are they determined to ruin the sport? 

16 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Not only do any news items on the BSPA website have the disclaimer but it is not possible to get to the club website as Eastbourne and Birmingham don't exist according to the list of teams in the league. If I was of a suspicious nature I would be thinking that someone wanted to sabotage their entries and if I was in charge at either club I would tell the BSPA that either the links are restored or I would be moving back to the National League which might ruffle a few feathers that need ruffling big time. 

The fact that both teams who moved from Championship to Premiership appeared immediately makes you wonder how they got accepted so quickly! Does the BSPA want to make Speedway grow or are they determined to ruin the sport? 

From the BSPA website "NOTE: New teams entering the Championship in the 2019 season will be added to this list when they have completed the official entry criteria and logged it with the BSPA Head Office."

At the moment they don`t exist - they will do when they have done what is required of them as per the above statement(sorry about the red ink)

Edited by racers and royals