British Speedway Forum
Brummies_Ste

Birmingham Brummies 2019

31 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

From the BSPA website "NOTE: New teams entering the Championship in the 2019 season will be added to this list when they have completed the official entry criteria and logged it with the BSPA Head Office."

At the moment they don`t exist - they will do when they have done what is required of them as per the above statement(sorry about the red ink)

Don't worry about the red ink! 

I can understand the BSPA having a note against the two teams saying they have not completed the entry requirements but removing all links to both clubs seems rather harsh. How come Peterborough and Ipswich are not having to jump through hoops? 

15 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Don't worry about the red ink! 

I can understand the BSPA having a note against the two teams saying they have not completed the entry requirements but removing all links to both clubs seems rather harsh. How come Peterborough and Ipswich are not having to jump through hoops? 

I would have thought that Buster has ensured everything needed for the change from Championship to Premiership- increase of bond perhaps ? has been completed for his new acquisitions. From National league to Championship will almost certainly have needed an increase in the bond.

53 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

I would have thought that Buster has ensured everything needed for the change from Championship to Premiership- increase of bond perhaps ? has been completed for his new acquisitions. From National league to Championship will almost certainly have needed an increase in the bond.

And possibly acquire some assets or lodge more money to cover the difference.  

I fully accept that teams have to meet the requirements of the league but removing all mention of the club Websites strikes me as counter productive to promoting the sport. I do not have a problem with some heading saying that the team have not yet completed all the formalities of moving up from the National league. 

• Like 2

New to the Board and a lifelong brummies supporter. 

I think that the explanation is pretty simple in the case of the Brummies and similar new entrants Eastbourne Eagles.

The National League has different governance and is deemed "non professional in status) as compared to Premier and Championship whose governance is 100% BSPA controlled. So Teams moving CL to PL are effectively "rubber stamped" as Bond nor retained rider list will change in the move up.

Birmingham have a Promotion (Masons) that only came in at start of 2018 season, never Promoted in BSPA controlled PL or CL and would therefore have to be fully ratified as promoters and also prove Business Plan and agree Bond issues etc.

Eastbourne have a new Management Team after death of Bob Dugard and reports of martin and connor Dugard stepping aside after 4 years of promoting in National League. So, safe to assume they too will have to go through same process as Birmingham, although they may have a "retained list" from there time in professional leagues under Dugard banner??

I've looked at Birmingham and Eastbourne Press Releases closely as it was initially a concern to see Brummies "vanish". I did call a friend who knows workings of BSPA very well and he says there is nothing out of the ordinary. The BSPA will have asked both Clubs to fill in paperwork and to provide plans and projections, will have required both Promotions to be interviewed and would not have reported Rider Signings (or indeed allowed rider signing to be reported) if the process wasn't both ongoing and satisfactory.

A quick look at Companies House suggests Birmingham has long since been properly Registered and the new Eastbourne Management team announced just before Christmas by the BSPA and their Club website was Registered with Companies House shortly afterwards.

It seems grossly unfair on both Clubs as the Riders are in A-Z Listings on BSPA Official website so I can only think that it is the process that is delaying things and not anything conspiritorial. 

Finally, also seems highly unlikely either side could return to National League when most 2018 Team members of both have been signed up elsewhere or moved up, in case of Birmingham top 4 had high averages and in case of Eastbourne top 5 have been snapped up already.

18 hours ago, racers and royals said:

From the BSPA website "NOTE: New teams entering the Championship in the 2019 season will be added to this list when they have completed the official entry criteria and logged it with the BSPA Head Office."

At the moment they don`t exist - they will do when they have done what is required of them as per the above statement(sorry about the red ink)

The Birmingham Speedway announcement http://www.speedwaygb.co.uk/news.php?extend.35871 - published on the BSPA web site, states that "subject to the necessary paperwork being completed by the British Speedway Promoters Association" - A clear onus therefore on the BSPA to tidy up loose ends.

And yet on another BSPA web site page - http://www.speedwaygb.co.uk/championshipannouncements19 - we get the quote that R&R states above which puts the onus on Birmingham and Eastbourne to sort their lives out.  

A classic case of "it's not us, it's them".

Bearing in mind that the Birmingham announcement was on 3rd December, and Eastbourne's was well before that, how much longer do the sports blessed administrators need to sort all this out?

One would assume that until this is all done, there won't be any fixtures published, and if it all goes sour, then it would be too late now for Birmingham and Eastbourne to reconsider National League speedway, so that will be 14 riders left in the lurch, not to mention all the fans of the two teams concerned.

What a mess.

4 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

The Birmingham Speedway announcement http://www.speedwaygb.co.uk/news.php?extend.35871 - published on the BSPA web site, states that "subject to the necessary paperwork being completed by the British Speedway Promoters Association" - A clear onus therefore on the BSPA to tidy up loose ends.

And yet on another BSPA web site page - http://www.speedwaygb.co.uk/championshipannouncements19 - we get the quote that R&R states above which puts the onus on Birmingham and Eastbourne to sort their lives out.  

A classic case of "it's not us, it's them".

Bearing in mind that the Birmingham announcement was on 3rd December, and Eastbourne's was well before that, how much longer do the sports blessed administrators need to sort all this out?

One would assume that until this is all done, there won't be any fixtures published, and if it all goes sour, then it would be too late now for Birmingham and Eastbourne to reconsider National League speedway, so that will be 14 riders left in the lurch, not to mention all the fans of the two teams concerned.

What a mess.

The Birmingham Speedway announcement you quote quite clearly states that it is issued by Birmingham and NOT the BSPA therefore we can assume it`s Birmingham`s take on what was needed to be done for their entry to be ratified. One could argue that the BSPA shouldn`t have allowed the wording if there is more to it than just paperwork. I do agree it`s all a bit messy and does require clarification.

2 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

The Birmingham Speedway announcement you quote quite clearly states that it is issued by Birmingham and NOT the BSPA therefore we can assume it`s Birmingham`s take on what was needed to be done for their entry to be ratified. One could argue that the BSPA shouldn`t have allowed the wording if there is more to it than just paperwork. I do agree it`s all a bit messy and does require clarification.

Absolutely correct. The BSPA published it on their site so they assume responsibility for what appears on it. If they didn't like the wording, they should have insisted on an edit to it.

1 hour ago, kitten2502 said:

For those really interested in the link - http://www.birmingham-speedway.com/news.php?cat.1 - there are ways and means of finding it without the BSPA!

I agree that those in the know can find the website of any club very easily without going through the BSPA website. The problem is that someone who wants to find out about the sport and thinks there may be a team near them in either Eastbourne or Birmingham could look at the list of teams in each league on the BSPA website and conclude that the club had closed down. Having done that they could then meet up with friends at a pub and mention that they had been thinking of going to a Speedway meeting after seeing how good it was on TV but sadly the local track has closed and we now have even more people who think the sport is finished. 

The BSPA website should in my opinion have both Eastbourne and Birmingham links with a note that they are planning to move up from the National league to the Championship but that the move cannot be confirmed until all the paperwork is finished. That way the BSPA are promoting the sport not making potential new fans think that clubs have closed. Yes, I know if you check the stories you would find the details but the potential new fan is unlikely to dig very deep if it appears the track they might visit has closed. 

I totally agree, would it not be better to have the Logo of the Club(s) with all the others and the "disclaimer" next to it.?? "subject to final approval by BSPA"

I read somewhere before Christmas referring to Brummies that the "Bond" had to be negotiated and paid before 1 March 2019, it may be that is the case for Brummies (and Eagles), and seems totally unfair to those Clubs if they have this "limbo" until 1 March; they are treated in this way. Is it BSPA though or BSPA Press Office which is separate isn't it?

I saw an announcement from Eastbourne (on BSPA website) of 2 big new Sponsors, good luck to them, but if i was considering sponsoring Birmingham (or Eastbourne) right now and saw that wording I would be waiting, again, not fair to Brummies if this is the case and delay is with BSPA.

I have read in Speedway Star about Workington and problems there, so why are they not taken off the page until that is sorted??, feels one rule for the old and another for the new.

With regards to the disclaimer, this was Ian Jordan's (Eastbourne's new co-promoter) reply to somebody questioning it on Facebook:

"The BSPA have strict entry forms and procedures which have to be completed to their timescales and they include interviews and also Fixture planning and Bond payments. This is an ongoing process that ourselves and Birmingham are going through at the moment and once all is completed ratification will be confirmed. We have to work to the prescribed agenda though and thats what both the new Clubs are currently in the process of doing."

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Chris116 said:

...The problem is that someone who wants to find out about the sport and thinks there may be a team near them in either Eastbourne or Birmingham...

If someone was really looking, then entering the words "speedway" & "Birmingham" into Google will find you the Birmingham Speedway web site at the top of their search results and it would be far quicker than trawling the BSPA site for links. It's the way people do it these days.

On 12/29/2018 at 8:46 PM, uk_martin said:

To be honest, I don't think that it's an issue that's really hit the public imagination. My own guess is that most people will welcome the demolition and redevelopment of what is in all honesty an eyesore, and although the athletes village / housing scheme has received planning approval, other connected matters are still in the process of getting approved.

There are small groups of residents who have objections to this thing or that...e.g. the domolition of the fly-over that separates the stadium from the One Stop Shopping Centre, and the introduction of extra bus lanes, but there's a general feeling that no matter how much people jump up and down about their little gripes, this thing is going ahead, so let's make the best of it.

There is a pubished Compulsary Purchase Order Zone, and the Stadium is not part of it. Full details can be seen here - https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/20054/planning_strategies_and_policies/1838/perry_barr_commonwealth_games_athletes_village_and_wider_regeneration_compulsory_purchase_order

I'm aware of the Deed of Covenant that "protects" the sporting purposes of the land that the stadium sits on, but just recently, a doctors surgery has been converted to an Islamic Academy, another independent "faith school" has been built on the old IMI factory site, and there is a planning application in the system for Perry Barr Police Station to be demolished and a mosque built in its place. There are even rumours of the Seventh Trap pub being demolished and a mosque being there too.  Join the dots to see which way this is panning out into the future. 

Islamic faith school that should not be allowed very racist .And yet another mosque dont think they need that in Birmingham keep the speedway its for the british people to enjoy

• Like 1