British Speedway Forum
Brummies_Ste

Birmingham Brummies 2019

Understood Steve, I was more referring to KOC.

I also noted that BSPA had shown Leicester in Group with Birmingham; Eastbourne; Somerset (on Speedway GB website prior to Fixtures) but at 11th hour they have been moved North. The Borders Group which was 3 Teams (missing Workington) has now been boosted to 4 Clubs?

Call me cynical but seems to favour the "old guard" with an extra meeting conveniently disadvantaging the 3 new boys - Somerset from PL and Birmingham and Eastbourne from NL.

I suppose many will say "we have to pay our dues LOL" so will take it on the chin!

Good Luck for the coming season. 

• Like 1

The KoCup 'draw' hasnt been a draw for the initial round for the last couple of years either

A deliberate plan to increase local derbies

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

The KoCup 'draw' hasnt been a draw for the initial round for the last couple of years either

Is that why Redcar are racing against Somerset in Round 1? :unsure:

2 hours ago, StevePark said:

The exception to prove the rule? :)

On 1/26/2019 at 3:56 PM, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Maybe the BSPA should publish a YouTube video of our beloved and highly professional association's officers dressed like Kwik-Fit Fitters, doing a Derby-arranging draw, with all the team names being pulled out of a cardboard box?

Loving the last 3 fixtures of the season, I don't think its going to happen but imagine if Birmingham are in with a chance of the play offs going into those last 3 meetings, what a weekend away that could be.:drink:Stuff it don't matter if we are bottom of the league still gonna be a great weekend :drink::drink::drink:

Only thing that could make it better is if the SPL fixture gods give HMFC a home game on the Saturday, Sporting heaven:)

Edited by Pirio Barre

On 1/27/2019 at 11:13 AM, StevePark said:

No, it's to add 200 Charles Wright supporters to the Oaktree gate! 

• Haha 1

On 26 January 2019 at 3:56 PM, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Sheffield v Glasgow is hardly regional too !!

Hands up - shoot me!!

In my defence the BSPA site wasnt listing the draw in the cup section so without trawling through the fixtures I didnt know who was against who

Im glad it seems a proper draw after all - I hated the planned local set up

• Like 1

David Mason Farewell meeting to K.O our season !

A challenge fixture v Wolverhampton to celebrate David's riding career!

I panicked when I first read the 'headline' as I thought he was leaving without a wheel being turned ? : )

7 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

David Mason Farewell meeting to K.O our season !

A challenge fixture v Wolverhampton to celebrate David's riding career!

I panicked when I first read the 'headline' as I thought he was leaving without a wheel being turned ? : )

I assume that means "kick-off" our season, not "knock-out" our season? :D

Ya gotta love abbreviations, innit?

Edited by uk_martin

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:27 PM, uk_martin said:

Splash inordinate ammounts of cash on something that the Brummies would currently find unaffordable, and end up in the same place as the Workington Comets.

Reality can teach some harsh lessons and fans need to be mindful of that. 2019 may not feature a team of Galacticos, but at least it's a team that should ensure some continuity of the club into 2020 and hopefully beyond.

That's a matter of debate.

Lets face it, people want to see a winning side and, rightly or wrongly, for most that matters more than the quality of the entertainment. If your starting line up is 'uninspiring' and/or you start losing your home meetings, they won't go in the first place or will then desert the team in droves. 

As such, cutting costs on your team can actually be equally or more disastrous than spending too much. 

A good example of this was Sheffield in  2011/12. A very attractive team in 2011(heat leaders Parker, Auty & Ashworth) finished second in the league but ran up a loss. The decision was taken the following season to cut costs on riders (heat leaders Hall, Franc & Wells), with the result that in 2012 they finished second bottom. Word I got was that the losses more than doubled. 

I'd say its a balancing act and, sadly,  I am not sure Birmingham have got it right.

I think the "novelty" of moving up will last most of the season and negate any concerns about the strength and depth of the Team. Getting Rider assets in will be a key economic point as that means the "Retained List" is no so  much of an issue. I think we will be solid enough at home to win more than we lose (just), Away looks more difficult for us. The Team has a number of potential improvers especially Zac and James and I think Ashley Morris could really bloom this season with plenty of PL experience. It'll be form of Ulrick and Newman that will win or lose matches especially at home.

Our marker in terms of progress on and off the Track will be Eastbourne as we have both moved up, they have the early advantage in having access to some Lakeside assets - especially Lawson; Kennett (who has ability to dominate the league) and 2 very solid reserves moving up from NL. 

I don't think we'll make play-offs but neither do I think we;ll be bottom if we can finish above Eagles will have won that private battle.

Kennett will certainly be Top Dog around Eastbourne but for him to dominate the league, he would need to have undergone a huge transformation with a sports psychologist. He holds the unenviable record of having the worst away average - compared to his home average.

• Like 2

I love the way that Thomsen and Castagna are being ignored like they don't exist. If one or both of them bloom into decent riders, then that'll wipe some smirks off some faces. These things happen. Who'd have foreseen how riders like James Birkinshaw and Jack Hargreaves would have done so well for us until their respective injuries stopped them, all those years ago?

• Like 1