British Speedway Forum
Brummies_Ste

Birmingham Brummies 2019

Shield should allow both of the European boys chance to settle in and probably one or both a reserve after initial Green Sheets hopefully Promotion and Fans will be patient. We are in a tough Shield Group though in terms of Away matches so be important for them to get grips of Perry Barr quickly.

8 hours ago, Brummies_Ste said:

James Shanes now a Birmingham asset signed from Poole

very good bit of business as he has immense promise and still very young probably be pushing to be a heat Leader this season so his stock and asset value will rise.

I'm feeling a lot more confident of our chances now that I was a month or so ago and a good sigh to see main Sponsors back with a better deal too.

Excitement mounting at Brummies

On 3/7/2019 at 7:44 AM, Brummies_Ste said:

James Shanes now a Birmingham asset signed from Poole

Well done to the 'Masons' !

I love watching 'James' around Perry Barr....he attacks every bit of the track and never settles for 2nd best!

The 'Entertainer' will be a legend before too long!

• Like 1

Just reading about our numbers 1s pathetic non existent preparation yesterday i have never known a silencer come off on the way to tapes .There would have to be 3 things over looked for this to happen i hope this is not a sign of things  to come.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

Just reading about our numbers 1s pathetic non existent preparation yesterday i have never known a silencer come off on the way to tapes .There would have to be 3 things over looked for this to happen i hope this is not a sign of things  to come.

I take it you're not an Ulrich Ostergaard fan then... You don't know what the circumstances are... Anything could have happened

Edited by Dandelion

Better it happening in these type of meetings before the season starts rather than in his first home meeting 

Edited by mac101
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Dandelion said:

I take it you're not an Ulrich Ostergaard fan then... You don't know what the circumstances are... Anything could have happened

Yes anything could have happened if it had held on until racing was under way. All riders have a responsibility to ensure their equipment is up to standard and then there are officials who verify the state of the bike too (although it could have been amended after being checked). The likelihood is that an engine has been fitted last minute and everything not done properly.

On 3/7/2019 at 4:37 PM, HGould said:

very good bit of business as he has immense promise and still very young probably be pushing to be a heat Leader this season so his stock and asset value will rise.

I'm feeling a lot more confident of our chances now that I was a month or so ago and a good sigh to see main Sponsors back with a better deal too.

Excitement mounting at Brummies

I agree he's a good signing but at 22 is no longer 'very young'.

• Haha 1

when the majority of riders in PL and CL are average age high 20's and low 30's if 22 is not considered young not sure what is?

being pedantic on myself would concede the "very" but the lad missed CL / NL came straight in to PL and only experienced NL / CL after that. Came to speedway after Grass and I would rate as highly as the best of the 2017 - 18 "wizz kids"  Kemp and Brennan; and on a par with Zach Waj - still young too.

17 minutes ago, HGould said:

when the majority of riders in PL and CL are average age high 20's and low 30's if 22 is not considered young not sure what is?

being pedantic on myself would concede the "very" but the lad missed CL / NL came straight in to PL and only experienced NL / CL after that. Came to speedway after Grass and I would rate as highly as the best of the 2017 - 18 "wizz kids"  Kemp and Brennan; and on a par with Zach Waj - still young too.

Hate to be "that person" who corrects you but Shanes did plenty of Speedway prior to signing for PL Poole. Starting out in the MDL before limited appearances at Plymouth & Coventry where he didn't pull up a lot of trees to be fair. Even when he signed for Kent he would score well but couldn't gate for toffee. His attacking style suits some CL tracks and thats where he started to gather interest before joining the Pirates. 

Not going  to debate his ability/potential too much but fear his Grass style will continue to hold him back a bit on many more technical tracks and despite very strong sponsorship is still behind with the financial clout that Brennan & Zac Waj have.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Hate to be "that person" who corrects you but Shanes did plenty of Speedway prior to signing for PL Poole. Starting out in the MDL before limited appearances at Plymouth & Coventry where he didn't pull up a lot of trees to be fair. Even when he signed for Kent he would score well but couldn't gate for toffee. His attacking style suits some CL tracks and thats where he started to gather interest before joining the Pirates. 

Not going  to debate his ability/potential too much but fear his Grass style will continue to hold him back a bit on many more technical tracks and despite very strong sponsorship is still behind with the financial clout that Brennan & Zac Waj have.  

He did ride Eastbourne pretty well and beat Adam Ellis fair and square once as I recall so not too bad on a technical track, but doesn't  have the consistency that Brennen and Kemp seem to have even now and by the time they're 20 think they will have moved to a different level again. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dandelion said:

No great opinion on him other then when i have watched him recently and he has been awful .

My point is that anything could not of happened the silencer is fixed at 3 different points all 3 must of failed at exactly the same time for it to fall off ? 

You cannot defend such poor preparation either by himself or his mechanics its inexcusable if it had fell of mid race anything could of happened depending on track position .  

I think SINGS is right though ..

• Thanks 1

I think most 'B'ham' supporters will agree that Ostergaard isn't a No.1 rider... but all we can do is back him and the team to do their best!?

I seem to recall a post/s on the Peterborough thread, that Ulrich's machinery can at times, resemble a 'lawnmower' ?

Being a No.1 rider carries a lot of weight/responsibility...it's going to be a tough season for him, hopefully the fans will be realistic and not expect too much.

P.s S4S's comments/observations about James's 'Grasstrack' style is 'spot-on' imo....

Edited by GiveusaB
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1