British Speedway Forum
Brummies_Ste

Birmingham Brummies 2019

On 3/20/2019 at 9:08 AM, GiveusaB said:

I think most 'B'ham' supporters will agree that Ostergaard isn't a No.1 rider... but all we can do is back him and the team to do their best!?

I seem to recall a post/s on the Peterborough thread, that Ulrich's machinery can at times, resemble a 'lawnmower' ?

Being a No.1 rider carries a lot of weight/responsibility...it's going to be a tough season for him, hopefully the fans will be realistic and not expect too much.

P.s S4S's comments/observations about James's 'Grasstrack' style is 'spot-on' imo....

Yes we will get behind him but respecting each other is a two way thing . Rightly or wrongly i expect his machinery to but up to scratch as a minimum .

To be fair i do not think that David Mason would tolerate such poor machinery and preparation to often.

• Like 2

On 3/19/2019 at 8:20 AM, Sings4Speedway said:

Yes anything could have happened if it had held on until racing was under way. All riders have a responsibility to ensure their equipment is up to standard and then there are officials who verify the state of the bike too (although it could have been amended after being checked). The likelihood is that an engine has been fitted last minute and everything not done properly.

Must admit I'm not a great fan of Ulrich but I don't seem to recall him having bad machines whilst riding for Redcar. Maybe a one off but it needs to be watched.

6 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Must admit I'm not a great fan of Ulrich but I don't seem to recall him having bad machines whilst riding for Redcar. Maybe a one off but it needs to be watched.

He was inconsistent for us , brilliant against us for Peterborough 

• Thanks 1

when he rode for workington he was fantastic . prob one of his best seasons . but time waits for no one .

Blimey, people are already being critical and we haven't even got to press and practice day yet! Ulrichs been around for a long time and will be a steady rider for us, maybe not a Harris or Cook but if he gets an average of 8ish, I think we'd be happy. Lets enjoy our new journey under the Masons and see where we are after 10 or 12 meetings. We won't win the league but we won't go bankrupt either and hopefully, be able to enjoy many more years at PB....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Blimey, people are already being critical and we haven't even got to press and practice day yet! Ulrichs been around for a long time and will be a steady rider for us, maybe not a Harris or Cook but if he gets an average of 8ish, I think we'd be happy. Lets enjoy our new journey under the Masons and see where we are after 10 or 12 meetings. We won't win the league but we won't go bankrupt either and hopefully, be able to enjoy many more years at PB....

Absolutely right "The Dog" going back over the decades, the 2nd Tier has often been won by a tight Team - as Workington proved last year, they had 6 blokes average in a range between around 6 and 7.5 and did brilliantly, they even carried a 1 point reserve for most of the year, and if you go right back look at a side like Long Eaton in the early 80's. 

I think its clear that Somerset ; Leicester ' Glasgow have the top end strength but have compromised a bit with reserves; as Gary May admits himself, and the others have all got a solid look.

If we win more than we lose at home and a few away wins, decent crowds and break even / make a bit, its a step back up to where we want to be and in the mason we trust! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Dog said:

I would be delighted if he averaged 8ish but he wont if he finishes above 7.00 i would be amazed 

12 hours ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

I would be delighted if he averaged 8ish but he wont if he finishes above 7.00 i would be amazed 

If he remains in the number 1 jacket all season i will be staggered

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

If he remains in the number 1 jacket all season i will be staggered

looking at the brummies team . i  honestly (theres that word again ) cant see any rider that will  trouble oystercard and take his number 1 spot away from him .  they look less than average in 2019 .   

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, jenga said:

looking at the brummies team . i  honestly (theres that word again ) cant see any rider that will  trouble oystercard and take his number 1 spot away from him .  they look less than average in 2019 .   

Im not so sure. I think any of them barring Paco could hit 6.5 this season if they have a run in the right position and i reckon that will be enough to take the jacket. Didn't ash Morris almost end up at number 1 for Newcastle last year?

• Like 2

Ulrich could quite easily be out the no1 race jacket after the first set of new averages. I think morris or Newman could easily over take him in the averages then after a couple more months it would not surprise me to see shanes and Zach overtake him then ..

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

Ulrich could quite easily be out the no1 race jacket after the first set of new averages. I think morris or Newman could easily over take him in the averages then after a couple more months it would not surprise me to see shanes and Zach overtake him then ..

God help you if you end up with Newman or Morris at 1. I can see Birmingham being one of the teams making a change pretty early on.

Edited by spin king junior

25 minutes ago, spin king junior said:

God help you if you end up with Newman or Morris at 1. I can see Birmingham being one of the teams making a change pretty early on.

I've thought all along we'd sign Bradley Wilson-Dean but always thought Eastbourne would be his preferred home and he was waiting for something to happen there, even if after 30 June when points limit goes up to 40 (confirmed Speedway Star last week).

Eastbourne signing Daniel Spiller though makes me think he is being lined up for after 30th June, he was better than BW-D in National League year but hard to know how he has progressed since.

I now think we might have BW-D after 1st averages as also confirmed Shield and KOC count in Green Sheets (also in SStar)

Edited by HGould
missed last para pressed enter by mistake

35 minutes ago, HGould said:

I've thought all along we'd sign Bradley Wilson-Dean but always thought Eastbourne would be his preferred home and he was waiting for something to happen there, even if after 30 June when points limit goes up to 40 (confirmed Speedway Star last week).

Eastbourne signing Daniel Spiller though makes me think he is being lined up for after 30th June, he was better than BW-D in National League year but hard to know how he has progressed since.

I now think we might have BW-D after 1st averages as also confirmed Shield and KOC count in Green Sheets (also in SStar)

The splillers have only signed as assets not in there 1-7 and are way behind BWD just as Danny was back in the National league. BWD and Adam Ellis were head and shoulders above anyone that season.