British Speedway Forum
Brummies_Ste

Birmingham Brummies 2019

29 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

What round were they knocked out in then?

You could say they were knocked out in the 1st round as there was only 1 round then the Final.

2 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

You could say they were knocked out in the 1st round as there was only 1 round then the Final.

So, fans would prefer their club to report in a negative fashion.

Bewildering.

3 minutes ago, BWitcher said:

So, fans would prefer their club to report in a negative fashion.

Bewildering.

It’s all about interpretation in speedway, you should know that;)

Guest Loose Diamond
8 hours ago, brianbuck said:

Don't see why this situation should be described as a "joke." If a club has only two fit/available riders then it can't track a four-man team - and mercifully, guest riders aren't allowed in this competition.

Hello. But they were. Lawlor and Coles.

17 hours ago, brianbuck said:

Don't see why this situation should be described as a "joke." If a club has only two fit/available riders then it can't track a four-man team - and mercifully, guest riders aren't allowed in this competition.

It was really. ..

Both Shanes and Castagna should have been available for one of the domestic National Titles up for grabs in British Speedway..

The reality is, on the day,  Birmingham had FOUR fit riders to take up FOUR places.

Good odds that....

Letting riders, and other federations, dictate to British Speedway when it can (and in this case cannot), run a credible offering to the public is a large part of the sports malaise...

And shouldn't be accepted..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mikebv said:

It was really. ..

Both Shanes and Castagna should have been available for one of the domestic National Titles up for grabs in British Speedway..

The reality is, on the day,  Birmingham had SIX fit riders to take up FOUR places.

Good odds that....

Letting riders, and other federations, dictate to British Speedway when it can (and in this case cannot), run a credible offering to the public is a large part of the sports malaise...

And shouldn't be accepted..

Not sure where Paco was but Shanes was contesting a European Grasstrack title (or qualification for) and this is the area that he is likely to have greater individual success in than Speedway and Birmingham like any other club would be stupid to push him to choose (although it is also ACU calling the shots there). So in all fairness Brum did only have 2 fit riders (with Morris & Stoneman still injured). As ever the fault lies in the fact that this scenario hasn't been properly considered rather than with the unlucky club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely cracking idea by the B'ham promotion coming up next home meeting?

A £3 ticket buys you the privilege of watching 3 heats from the Centre Green ? Heats 12 - 14 ......

Surely 'every' speedway spectator would love that experience?

Brilliant!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

A £3 ticket buys you the privilege of watching 3 heats from the Centre Green ? Heats 12 - 14 ......

Brilliant!

Makes me dizzy, having done it before but many will enjoy --still a good idea from Brummies = selling something that is rarely available to most fans.

13 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Brilliant!

workington used to do ht 15 . if you bought a 50/50 ticket you had 2 chances , 1 to win %50 of the draw total and then your ticket would be entered into a draw for the lucky few who had their ticket numbers pulled out of the draw . a popular end of the night thing .  about 12 or so fans found themselves screwed into the rugby pitch by the constant turning to watch the racing .the ladies in heels were the hardest to get out as they really screwed themselves into the ground big style . but the hardest ting was finding someone to unscrew them by actually tuning them clockwise and understanding the meaning of a left hand thread ! ! 

• Haha 1

There is really no need to get dizzy following the bikes round and round. Point yourself towards one corner and you have a view of  about three quarters of the track just by turning your head. You then flip your head to your other shoulder to recatch the action.

On 6/28/2019 at 9:36 AM, Richard Weston said:

Makes me dizzy, having done it before but many will enjoy --still a good idea from Brummies = selling something that is rarely available to most fans.

Me too, i never liked it when i used to drive the grader around the track at Wimbledon. It used to give me a neck ache staying out on the centre green for the whole meeting. I'd imagine the experience might be different at a big track.

1 hour ago, guitar_art said:

There is really no need to get dizzy following the bikes round and round. Point yourself towards one corner and you have a view of  about three quarters of the track just by turning your head. You then flip your head to your other shoulder to recatch the action.

I was shown many years ago that best way is to move your feet not your head, so you do 4 x 90 degree feet turns and makes you a lot less dizzy as head is always pointing in same direction as feet. Trick taught me by an old Squaddie at Coventry Speedway.

2 hours ago, guitar_art said:

Thank you for the tip, if the chance ever comes again. The other thing which amazed me was that the riders seemed to close--I felt I could reach out and touch--utterly different from the spectator side of the safety fence and barriers. Worth doing, if you have never done it.

So, we will soon be finding out who we are signing as Zach's replacement?

I'm putting my money on Ben Barker !? (hopefully)