Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
Brummies_Ste

Birmingham Brummies 2019

Recommended Posts

On 12/29/2018 at 5:05 PM, brianbuck said:

Yes, the grandstand (or part of it), is a grade 2 listed building, and there is also a covenant stating that the land must be used for sport. There are of course though, ways and means of getting round these "obstacles" where there is a will to do so, so we can't totally rely on this for our future salvation. As things stand though, there is little or nothing that we can do but wait and see.

As UK Martin lives pretty close to the stadium, perhaps he can give an indication of how the very close "locals" feel about the development?

Don’t rely on the ‘Used for Sports Covenant, that was in place at Cleveland Park, Middlesbrough 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/35802685/live-music-venues-get-new-protection-from-housing-developersThis music event legislation came in on March 2016,

music events that go on for hours are safe,but about 15 minutes of racing is not ????

what with the widening of the road between the proposed build and the track which will

have more noise coming from it, are they going to move all the bus routes as well ? ?

Any Way ..................................................... have a HAPPY NEW YEAR   ..................K R O

Edited by Bluenose
mistake made

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Bluenose said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/35802685/live-music-venues-get-new-protection-from-housing-developersThis music event legislation came in on March 2016,

music events that go on for hours are safe,but about 15 minutes of racing is not ????...

...are they going to move all the bus routes as well ? ?

To the first point, I guess a lot will depend on what is considered to be in the public interest. Bear in mind that one decently attended concert at a live music venue will attract more people and younger people than the average crowd at many speedway stadiums.

To the second point, there are moves to encourage public and sustainable transport and to discourage private motoring. The City Centre will have a Carbon Curtain drawn around the Middle Ring Road in 2020, so that anyone heading to or through the city centre wil have to pay £10 for the privilage. The focus of this new "green agenda" will be on "moving people, not moving cars". So who knows what the noise situation from the roads will be in a few years time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2018 at 9:11 AM, Woz01 said:

I thought there was new legislation coming in where pre existing facilities near to new developments were exempt from noise issues?

It's embedded in a policy called the Planning Framework which is a Government Policy issuing guidelines to local Planning Committees, the next one comes into play late January 2019 and is for all new planning applications. My understanding is that applications made and granted prior to this will be under the previous guidelines issued in 2012 so the new guidelines cannot be used retrospectively - it's a bit like the SCB Regulations they'll make their mind up at the time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BIRMINGHAM have appointed Terry Chrabaszcz as their new track curator for the 2019 season.

He takes over from the outgoing duo of John Priest and Arthur Browning who will both be enjoying retirement.

Chrabaszcz already has experience of working on the Perry Barr circuit having been a member of the track team during the Brummies’ previous senior league racing days.

Co-owner David Mason said: “First and foremost we would like to wish John and Arthur all the best for the future.

“They’ve spent many, many hours over the past few years ensuring Birmingham have had a quality racing surface on racenights; they’ve done a great job and we hope they come and visit us at points throughout the season.

“Once we knew they wouldn’t be with us for the 2019 season we wanted to get someone with equal amounts of, if not more, experience than them.

“Terry ticks all the boxes; he’s worked on the Perry Barr track before, he’s local which is a big bonus, and he’s got so much knowledge and expertise when it comes to track preparation.

“He’s worked on numerous tracks up and down the country over the years and the way he turned Stoke around last season was unbelievable from what I’m told.

“Obviously we’re moving up into the Championship this year and this calibre of rider prefer a totally different surface to the National League boys.

“So we’re going to be putting some more shale down before the start of the new season and there’ll be plenty more dirt out there if the boys want it.

“With the team of battlers and entertainers we’ve got plus the fact we’re going to have a new approach to track preparation, I really do believe we’re in for some breathtaking racing and some fantastic meetings this year.”
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not only do any news items on the BSPA website have the disclaimer but it is not possible to get to the club website as Eastbourne and Birmingham don't exist according to the list of teams in the league. If I was of a suspicious nature I would be thinking that someone wanted to sabotage their entries and if I was in charge at either club I would tell the BSPA that either the links are restored or I would be moving back to the National League which might ruffle a few feathers that need ruffling big time. 

The fact that both teams who moved from Championship to Premiership appeared immediately makes you wonder how they got accepted so quickly! Does the BSPA want to make Speedway grow or are they determined to ruin the sport? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Not only do any news items on the BSPA website have the disclaimer but it is not possible to get to the club website as Eastbourne and Birmingham don't exist according to the list of teams in the league. If I was of a suspicious nature I would be thinking that someone wanted to sabotage their entries and if I was in charge at either club I would tell the BSPA that either the links are restored or I would be moving back to the National League which might ruffle a few feathers that need ruffling big time. 

The fact that both teams who moved from Championship to Premiership appeared immediately makes you wonder how they got accepted so quickly! Does the BSPA want to make Speedway grow or are they determined to ruin the sport? 

From the BSPA website "NOTE: New teams entering the Championship in the 2019 season will be added to this list when they have completed the official entry criteria and logged it with the BSPA Head Office."

At the moment they don`t exist - they will do when they have done what is required of them as per the above statement(sorry about the red ink)

Edited by racers and royals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

From the BSPA website "NOTE: New teams entering the Championship in the 2019 season will be added to this list when they have completed the official entry criteria and logged it with the BSPA Head Office."

At the moment they don`t exist - they will do when they have done what is required of them as per the above statement(sorry about the red ink)

Don't worry about the red ink! 

I can understand the BSPA having a note against the two teams saying they have not completed the entry requirements but removing all links to both clubs seems rather harsh. How come Peterborough and Ipswich are not having to jump through hoops? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

Don't worry about the red ink! 

I can understand the BSPA having a note against the two teams saying they have not completed the entry requirements but removing all links to both clubs seems rather harsh. How come Peterborough and Ipswich are not having to jump through hoops? 

I would have thought that Buster has ensured everything needed for the change from Championship to Premiership- increase of bond perhaps ? has been completed for his new acquisitions. From National league to Championship will almost certainly have needed an increase in the bond.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

I would have thought that Buster has ensured everything needed for the change from Championship to Premiership- increase of bond perhaps ? has been completed for his new acquisitions. From National league to Championship will almost certainly have needed an increase in the bond.

And possibly acquire some assets or lodge more money to cover the difference.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I fully accept that teams have to meet the requirements of the league but removing all mention of the club Websites strikes me as counter productive to promoting the sport. I do not have a problem with some heading saying that the team have not yet completed all the formalities of moving up from the National league. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New to the Board and a lifelong brummies supporter. 

I think that the explanation is pretty simple in the case of the Brummies and similar new entrants Eastbourne Eagles.

The National League has different governance and is deemed "non professional in status) as compared to Premier and Championship whose governance is 100% BSPA controlled. So Teams moving CL to PL are effectively "rubber stamped" as Bond nor retained rider list will change in the move up.

Birmingham have a Promotion (Masons) that only came in at start of 2018 season, never Promoted in BSPA controlled PL or CL and would therefore have to be fully ratified as promoters and also prove Business Plan and agree Bond issues etc.

Eastbourne have a new Management Team after death of Bob Dugard and reports of martin and connor Dugard stepping aside after 4 years of promoting in National League. So, safe to assume they too will have to go through same process as Birmingham, although they may have a "retained list" from there time in professional leagues under Dugard banner??

I've looked at Birmingham and Eastbourne Press Releases closely as it was initially a concern to see Brummies "vanish". I did call a friend who knows workings of BSPA very well and he says there is nothing out of the ordinary. The BSPA will have asked both Clubs to fill in paperwork and to provide plans and projections, will have required both Promotions to be interviewed and would not have reported Rider Signings (or indeed allowed rider signing to be reported) if the process wasn't both ongoing and satisfactory.

A quick look at Companies House suggests Birmingham has long since been properly Registered and the new Eastbourne Management team announced just before Christmas by the BSPA and their Club website was Registered with Companies House shortly afterwards.

It seems grossly unfair on both Clubs as the Riders are in A-Z Listings on BSPA Official website so I can only think that it is the process that is delaying things and not anything conspiritorial. 

Finally, also seems highly unlikely either side could return to National League when most 2018 Team members of both have been signed up elsewhere or moved up, in case of Birmingham top 4 had high averages and in case of Eastbourne top 5 have been snapped up already.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, racers and royals said:

From the BSPA website "NOTE: New teams entering the Championship in the 2019 season will be added to this list when they have completed the official entry criteria and logged it with the BSPA Head Office."

At the moment they don`t exist - they will do when they have done what is required of them as per the above statement(sorry about the red ink)

The Birmingham Speedway announcement http://www.speedwaygb.co.uk/news.php?extend.35871 - published on the BSPA web site, states that "subject to the necessary paperwork being completed by the British Speedway Promoters Association" - A clear onus therefore on the BSPA to tidy up loose ends.

And yet on another BSPA web site page - http://www.speedwaygb.co.uk/championshipannouncements19 - we get the quote that R&R states above which puts the onus on Birmingham and Eastbourne to sort their lives out.  

A classic case of "it's not us, it's them".

Bearing in mind that the Birmingham announcement was on 3rd December, and Eastbourne's was well before that, how much longer do the sports blessed administrators need to sort all this out?

One would assume that until this is all done, there won't be any fixtures published, and if it all goes sour, then it would be too late now for Birmingham and Eastbourne to reconsider National League speedway, so that will be 14 riders left in the lurch, not to mention all the fans of the two teams concerned.

What a mess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

The Birmingham Speedway announcement http://www.speedwaygb.co.uk/news.php?extend.35871 - published on the BSPA web site, states that "subject to the necessary paperwork being completed by the British Speedway Promoters Association" - A clear onus therefore on the BSPA to tidy up loose ends.

And yet on another BSPA web site page - http://www.speedwaygb.co.uk/championshipannouncements19 - we get the quote that R&R states above which puts the onus on Birmingham and Eastbourne to sort their lives out.  

A classic case of "it's not us, it's them".

Bearing in mind that the Birmingham announcement was on 3rd December, and Eastbourne's was well before that, how much longer do the sports blessed administrators need to sort all this out?

One would assume that until this is all done, there won't be any fixtures published, and if it all goes sour, then it would be too late now for Birmingham and Eastbourne to reconsider National League speedway, so that will be 14 riders left in the lurch, not to mention all the fans of the two teams concerned.

What a mess.

The Birmingham Speedway announcement you quote quite clearly states that it is issued by Birmingham and NOT the BSPA therefore we can assume it`s Birmingham`s take on what was needed to be done for their entry to be ratified. One could argue that the BSPA shouldn`t have allowed the wording if there is more to it than just paperwork. I do agree it`s all a bit messy and does require clarification.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy