British Speedway Forum
Brummies_Ste

Birmingham Brummies 2019

20 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Thought that was more due to recovery from injuries for Dan and expecting a child for Rene, think Worky would like them both Bach :D but not always an option. Mentioned elsewhere the THJ is still looking for a team spot in the UK....could be a bargain in the Champ?

Precisely the reasons

I cant see us signing riders who are not based over here really i think we will need to cut our cloth to suit and wont be wanting to pay for flights etc .

I would like to see 

1BEN BARKER 6.87

2TOM BACON 4.55

3DAN BEWLEY 6.62

4JAMES SHANES 4.96

5ULLRICH OSTERGAARD 7.11

6DANYON HUME 3.69 OR MITCHELL DAVEY

7JAMES SARGENT 4.05

TOTAL... 37.85

If fit enough, I'd imagine Bewley would be rider in Polish Nice L1 most weekends.

1 ULRICH OSTERGAARD 7.13

2 TOM BACON 4.55

3 KYLE NEWMAN 5.98

4 ASH MORRIS 5.44

5 BEN BARKER 6.87

6 DANYON HUME 3.69

7JAMES SARGENT 4.05

Bit light towards the end of the meeting but solid engine room and constant strong reserves.

30 minutes ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

Signing number 2 announced tomorrow morning hmmmmm

Tom Bacon/Ben Barker ???

Edited by GiveusaB

I think it would be great if the club had 1 or 2 riders back from last year for a bit of continuity for the fans and club alike. Bacon, Shanes, Davey, Flint and Hume would all be good additions at reserve and 2nd string

Got to admit I am in two minds about Ben coming back. The guy is Mr Entertainment and his last stint in a Brummies race jacket was one of the main reasons for turning up each week. My only concern with bringing Ben back is the effect on the top end strength of the team, with Ulrich on a 7.13 average.

I would like to see Tom Bacon, James Shanes and Leon Flint back from last year + Zack Wajknecht returning. I think if Leon is included as one of the reserves then we need to have strength in the other reserve slot; with potentially Tom or james at No. 6. With another low average rider at No.6 it leaves us very exposed. Leon because of his talent is worth taking a chance on, but he needs some protection from having too much pressure on him in case he struggles at the start of the season. With Ulrich and the others I have mentioned this would leave us with 14.30 points for two riders. I would prefer a number one with a higher average than Ulrich, maybe someone like Richie Worrall on 7.80 average, leaving 6.50 for the No 5 berth. 

With a strong top two of Ulrich + A N Other and a solid main body of the team + a young reserve with massive potential, then we have a team with ability to finish in a play-off place. Ben would definitely entertain and I am a big fan of his, but having signed Ulrich then Ben just does not fit in my view.

Having said all that I can see Ben being announced as our second signing tomorrow. I would not be disappointed, but it would probably be at the expense of some of the other good young riders we have brought in during our NL days. With Ben in the team I can see Danyon Hume getting the call over the likes of Shanes or Wajknecht.

Roll on March 2019....!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brummie Boy said:

The way the 2019 Workington team is shaping up, it looks like they are not going to be able to accommodate both Dan Bewley and Rene Bach from last year's team.

Would like to see either of those riders lining up for the Brummies next year; especially the former.

I can assure you that IF (a big ask) Dan Bewley is fit for the 2019 season, very few teams in the championship would risk having him in their squad. Why ? Well because he would be involved in sooooo many individual competitions that he would be missing from a lot of meetings. (Not to mention his foreign commitments !). 

You are probably right in that Rene Bach wont sign for the Comets,  but equally he might not sign for ANYONE...rumours are that :

a) He wants to spend time with his newborn to be (Due in April)

b) He could have BIG probs being released from his job in Denmark. Apparently it proved very difficult in 2018, but somehow he managed it, but I suspect it may not be as easy for him in 2019 !

4 hours ago, ProudtobeaBrummie said:

I cant see us signing riders who are not based over here really i think we will need to cut our cloth to suit and wont be wanting to pay for flights etc .

I would like to see 

1BEN BARKER 6.87

2TOM BACON 4.55

3DAN BEWLEY 6.62

4JAMES SHANES 4.96

5ULLRICH OSTERGAARD 7.11

6DANYON HUME 3.69 OR MITCHELL DAVEY

7JAMES SARGENT 4.05

TOTAL... 37.85

Better make sure you have a PLENTIFUL supply of spare tapes if Mr Sarjeant signs for ya !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

1 ULRICH OSTERGAARD 7.13

2 TOM BACON 4.55

3 KYLE NEWMAN 5.98

4 ASH MORRIS 5.44

5 BEN BARKER 6.87

6 DANYON HUME 3.69

7JAMES SARGENT 4.05

Bit light towards the end of the meeting but solid engine room and constant strong reserves.

Just now, A.N.Other said:

Better make sure you have a PLENTIFUL supply of spare tapes if Mr Sarjeant signs for ya !

Sarjeant back at Glasgow

• Thanks 1

On 12/4/2018 at 2:14 PM, uk_martin said:

What's the current situation about Championship teams needing to own a certain number of their own riding assets?

Its funny that you should say that, as I heard the same thing directly from a speedway manager the other day !  He said there is a rule that says each club has to own so many riders, but I cant for the life of me remember how many it is ?

4 minutes ago, Brummie Boy said:

Got to admit I am in two minds about Ben coming back. The guy is Mr Entertainment and his last stint in a Brummies race jacket was one of the main reasons for turning up each week. My only concern with bringing Ben back is the effect on the top end strength of the team, with Ulrich on a 7.13 average.

I would like to see Tom Bacon, James Shanes and Leon Flint back from last year + Zack Wajknecht returning. I think if Leon is included as one of the reserves then we need to have strength in the other reserve slot; with potentially Tom or james at No. 6. With another low average rider at No.6 it leaves us very exposed. Leon because of his talent is worth taking a chance on, but he needs some protection from having too much pressure on him in case he struggles at the start of the season. With Ulrich and the others I have mentioned this would leave us with 14.30 points for two riders. I would prefer a number one with a higher average than Ulrich, maybe someone like Richie Worrall on 7.80 average, leaving 6.50 for the No 5 berth. 

With a strong top two of Ulrich + A N Other and a solid main body of the team + a young reserve with massive potential, then we have a team with ability to finish in a play-off place. Ben would definitely entertain and I am a big fan of his, but having signed Ulrich then Ben just does not fit in my view.

Having said all that I can see Ben being announced as our second signing tomorrow. I would not be disappointed, but it would probably be at the expense of some of the other good young riders we have brought in during our NL days. With Ben in the team I can see Danyon Hume getting the call over the likes of Shanes or Wajknecht.

Roll on March 2019....!

Oooh....thanks...didnt know I was signing for ya's !!  (Letter must be delayed in the post...Xmas and all that !) Lol. 

• Haha 1

Would love to see Ben Barker back, one of my favourite riders to have rode for us. You pay your money to watch riders like him so I hope hes announced tomorrow or in the coming weeks.

It would be great to have some of the riders that rode us last year, Tom Bacon has gotta be nailed on as hes been fantastic in his time at the Brummies. I would have Shanesy back aslong as he is available for most of the meetings, felt he missed too many meetings last year with his grasstrack and longtrack commitments. I would give Mitchell Davey a consideration, not sure what average he would come in on.