Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bald Bloke

Do any fans on here ride a motorbike of any kind.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, adonis said:

An old frambang and a 2 stroke as well .  you should see the capacity  stamped in the bottom of the barrell . there were literaly thousands of the little 98cc villiers that went into all sorts of bikes . you may well be surprised as to it's value . although it's far too easy to spend more than it's worth on a restoration ,  first things first , will you use it ? if you would use it how nice would you want it ?  concours  is gonna be expensive , usable probably not so . does it have much chrome ? replacing chrome is expensive , is it complete ? and would you want it to be original or just tidy enough to be something you would use , one things for sure whatever nick it's in, your'e lucky to have it

Yes I think it's a 198cc. I would like to restore it to a useable condition and enjoy it rather than concours.

The only chrome on it was the handlebars, the wheels were black painted with a gold pinstripe as per the colour scheme on the petrol tank and it has a single sprung saddle rather than a pillion one.

While the metalwork is all sound, the paintwork is all rusty and in need of stripping and repainting.

It's amazing really. I hadn't ridden it for 40 years when I removed it from my mum's shed after she died but the tyres were still inflated and in good condition!

I'll take some photos when I get a minute. Hopefully you can identify it.

I'm pretty sure it's complete although partially dismantled with bits in boxes.

Edited by AFCB Wildcat

Share this post


Link to post

if it's a 198 you'll have no trouble getting any parts you need ,   and your'e lucky because paint is something you can do yourself ,   rather than chrome which needs a specialist ,  one thing I would advise . if you are going to strip it further to paint , photograph every last detail ,and make notes of anything that looks quirky , then if you dont return to the job stright away , the photos and notes will help with your memory

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
57 minutes ago, adonis said:

if it's a 198 you'll have no trouble getting any parts you need ,   and your'e lucky because paint is something you can do yourself ,   rather than chrome which needs a specialist ,  one thing I would advise . if you are going to strip it further to paint , photograph every last detail ,and make notes of anything that looks quirky , then if you dont return to the job stright away , the photos and notes will help with your memory

 

Thanks for the advice, makes good sense.

Any ideas how I can identify it? I know the registration number although I expect that's been reallocated as a private plate now as I stupidly didn't apply for a VC5 when they phased out the old brown log books so I doubt the DVLA would hold any info.

I've researched online and I can't see anything that looks exactly like it although there's a 1952 197cc Falcon on eBay that looks very similar.

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

Thanks for the advice, makes good sense.

Any ideas how I can identify it? I know the registration number although I expect that's been reallocated as a private plate now as I stupidly didn't apply for a VC5 when they phased out the old brown log books so I doubt the DVLA would hold any info.

I've researched online and I can't see anything that looks exactly like it although there's a 1952 197cc Falcon on eBay that looks very similar.

Get the engine and frame number and I'm sure these people https://famousjamesmotorcycleclub.webs.com/ will be able to identify it exactly. All the owners clubs are a fantastic resource.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, Vince said:

Get the engine and frame number and I'm sure these people https://famousjamesmotorcycleclub.webs.com/ will be able to identify it exactly. All the owners clubs are a fantastic resource.

Also if you have the engine frame and registration number ,theres a form you can get from to Post Office for DVLA to find the bike ,  they charge £25 but if they find it you will get a new log book with either your original number or an age related number . the form is called V62 ,

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Not really a biker thing ,but Biker types would be interested i should think . my nephew said  in his way to work In chicago one day ,he kept seeing electric scooters left in the street at random places , when he investigated he found this https://www.lyft.com/scooters/chicago-il   .

you just unlock one with your smart phone ride it to wherever you want to go and then leave it . you can also earn credit by taking one home and charging it ,   replacement for the boris bikes ,Im afraid not :D rather than promote the uses of them to save on use of cars , we ban them completely .

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273913099086

 

Thanks guys,

I'm pretty sure it's the same as this one except it doesn't have the enamel tank badges, just gold lettering.

I'll check out the numbers when I dig it out and get started :-)

With the painted wheels and tank badges I would guess it's a bit earlier, chrome was too expensive for commuter type bikes for quite a few years post war.

Should be a relatively easy restoration as long as the main parts aren't rotten, as Adonis says Villiers parts are easily come by and there's nothing very complicated on there that can't be repaired or made. Mudguards are the only thing I could see being a real problem if you wanted originality and they've rotted but if not I'm sure there are loads of similar pattern ones that would fit.

Netley Marsh autojumble in early September would be worth a visit if you had a list of what you need and not to far from you.

Edited by Vince

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F273913099086

 

Thanks guys,

I'm pretty sure it's the same as this one except it doesn't have the enamel tank badges, just gold lettering.

I'll check out the numbers when I dig it out and get started :-)

Looks just like the one our local RAC/ACU training school had. I owned a later 1958 model wiith the Villiers 10E engine but still had the 3 speed gearbox. Mine was the traditional Arden Green with Chrome wheels with the rim centres painted green picked out with gold lining and a green seat with white piping.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Vince said:

With the painted wheels and tank badges I would guess it's a bit earlier, chrome was too expensive for commuter type bikes for quite a few years post war.

Should be a relatively easy restoration as long as the main parts aren't rotten, as Adonis says Villiers parts are easily come by and there's nothing very complicated on there that can't be repaired or made. Mudguards are the only thing I could see being a real problem if you wanted originality and they've rotted but if not I'm sure there are loads of similar pattern ones that would fit.

Netley Marsh autojumble in early September would be worth a visit if you had a list of what you need and not to far from you.

Cheers Vince, it's amazingly sound from what I can see. The mud guards are absolutely solid with no holes just surface rust. I had removed the front one on my aborted restoration when I was still a teenager lol and it's perfect with good gauge material.

It has been dry stored all these years, obviously a complete strip down might reveal some hidden horrors but fingers crossed. The wiring might present a challenge as it's all rotted (not my strong point) and hopefully I've not lost any bits so I'd better check it out before September!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

Cheers Vince, it's amazingly sound from what I can see. The mud guards are absolutely solid with no holes just surface rust. I had removed the front one on my aborted restoration when I was still a teenager lol and it's perfect with good gauge material.

It has been dry stored all these years, obviously a complete strip down might reveal some hidden horrors but fingers crossed. The wiring might present a challenge as it's all rotted (not my strong point) and hopefully I've not lost any bits so I'd better check it out before September!

The wiring was the thing that gave me the horrors most , but at least you only have a few , no indicators electric starts idiot lights etc , so it  should all be pretty easy .  hope the inside of the petrol tank is clean and rust free , because that can be a right pain . it will be a premix  so if your'e lucky the petrol tank will have had a coat of oil  .

Edited by adonis
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, AFCB Wildcat said:

Cheers Vince, it's amazingly sound from what I can see. The mud guards are absolutely solid with no holes just surface rust. I had removed the front one on my aborted restoration when I was still a teenager lol and it's perfect with good gauge material.

It has been dry stored all these years, obviously a complete strip down might reveal some hidden horrors but fingers crossed. The wiring might present a challenge as it's all rotted (not my strong point) and hopefully I've not lost any bits so I'd better check it out before September!

Was looking up wiring looms which should be easy to do if not available ready to go and came across this site which might be good for you https://cybermotorcycle.com/euro/brands/james-motorcycles.htm

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

Just spent 3.5 hours cleaning the car and the bike. Car took half hour lol

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, bruno said:

Just spent 3.5 hours cleaning the car and the bike. Car took half hour lol

One is merely a vehicle the other is a labour of love !

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy