British Speedway Forum

42 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

So are they going to reinstate the ones they stole from Birmingham? 

Different promotion so not relevant

That Birmingham folded and was liquidated including its assets

Cannot argue with the fact that the Kent side has been finished with a flourish and as most have said very few weak links, Maybe Spooner starting at 4 but will likely be at reserve soon enough and still on a high average. This team is fortunate picking up the services of Ablitt being southern based but it also looks an expensive side? Can't imagine Gilkes, Jenkins or Kemp have signed cheap? Either way if Kent turn a regular profit its alright and it looks like with a little fortune the Kings may finally lift a trophy.

Edited by Sings4Speedway
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Cannot argue with the fact that the Kent side has been finished with a flourish and as most have said very few weak links, Maybe Spooner starting at 4 but will likely be at reserve soon enough and still on a high average. This team is fortunate picking up the services of Ablitt being southern based but it also looks an expensive side? Can't imagine Gilkes, Jenkins or Kemp have signed cheap? Either way if Kent turn a regular profit its alright and it looks like with a little fortune the Kings may finally lift a trophy.

Do you know what the 3 riders you mention are being paid ?  What would you consider "not signing cheap?"  Personally I don't really care what the riders

are paid providing I get the feeling that they are being treated fairly....never really know about that, of course. Just a gut feeling.

Kent’s number one will be on 30-35£ a point a tyre will be provided for his home and away fixtures (same with the rest of the team) 20pence a mile - more than championship riders they ride for 0.15p per mile. Fuel and oil allowance I expect. Probably a signing on fee too. The other heat leaders will be on £25 a point then probably 30 if they hit a certain amount. Second strings 20 up to a certain point then 25 and the reserves 20. All plus signing on fees if they’re full assets I presume they will be having engines and frame kits like stoneman Rowe Thomas and Hampshire previously.

Edited by TurnTwo
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, TurnTwo said:

Kent’s number one will be on 30-35£ a point a tyre will be provided for his home and away fixtures (same with the rest of the team) 20pence a mile - more than championship riders they ride for 0.15p per mile. Fuel and oil allowance I expect. Probably a signing on fee too. The other heat leaders will be on £25 a point then probably 30 if they hit a certain amount. Second strings 20 up to a certain point then 25 and the reserves 20. All plus signing on fees if they’re full assets I presume they will be having engines and frame kits like stoneman Rowe Thomas and Hampshire previously.

TurnTwo..you seem pretty well informed. Are you one of Kent's promoters ?  Tried to do the arithmetic but ran out of sensible answers half way through. But it

added up to a lot of money. No wonder Buxton dropped out.  

I am not no, but I have previously sponsored one of the former kings and it seems that all riders are very open within the team who’s on what etc. I would expect Kent to be the highest paying team, as well as possibly Cradley being two clubs with larger fan bases. 

On 12/24/2018 at 10:23 PM, TurnTwo said:

I am not no, but I have previously sponsored one of the former kings and it seems that all riders are very open within the team who’s on what etc. I would expect Kent to be the highest paying team, as well as possibly Cradley being two clubs with larger fan bases. 

If Cradley and Kent pay the most, then presumably all the rest pay less than the figures you quoted. But, from the conversations I hear and

some stuff I've read about somewhere, these pay rates are still far below the Championship levels, so those critics on this forum who loudly 

proclaim that no riders should expect to be paid more than £10 a point are WAY OFF the mark are'nt they ?   There must be a connection

between the pay rates of the 3 divisions, relating to the abilities of the riders.  If a top heat leader in National League rode for £10 a point

and scored a maximum of 15 points he would only get £150.  Out of that he has to maintain an engine and bike plus travel up and down the 

country late at night to get home. For such a dangerous occupation, would hardly seem worthwhile. And he would not always score 15.

A reserve hopes to score 3 plus .. gets 30 a night n no tyre  , has to maintain engines n still drives as far n can end up just as dead or crippled as a #1 tho ..  probably more chance cos hes riding with less skilled opponents.. 

Edited by raddog
  • Like 1

In the Premier League days at Rye the rumour was that Len paid all seven riders the same money. If that’s true or not I have no idea, but that would be easier to do in the NL than the PL you’d suspect. 

27 minutes ago, Ben91 said:

In the Premier League days at Rye the rumour was that Len paid all seven riders the same money. If that’s true or not I have no idea, but that would be easier to do in the NL than the PL you’d suspect. 

Can you clarify your statement please Ben91? Subject to the rumour thesis, was it claimed riders all paid the same fee irrespective of their number of rides and points scored, and same travel expenses. Or were all paid the same money for each point, the same money for each start, and the same money per mile travel expenses? And how did this relate for European riders in regard to travel expenses? 

Edited by Guest

On 12/24/2018 at 3:11 PM, TurnTwo said:

Unless Kent are paying way above the few other clubs I've had experience of, I'd say those figures are very much on the high side.

12 minutes ago, WalterPlinge said:

Unless Kent are paying way above the few other clubs I've had experience of, I'd say those figures are very much on the high side.

From any exposure ive had those figures are pretty close to what i believe to be correct for the Kent side. The monies are largely close at most other clubs that ive heard however its the perks that can swing things in clubs favours, engines, frames, spares van fees all make a huge difference to riders success in the NL. Even the difference between getting an away tyre and supplying your own can have an impact upon where riders sign.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, gustix said:

Can you clarify your statement please Ben91? Subject to the rumour thesis, was it claimed riders all paid the same fee irrespective of their number of rides and points scored, and same travel expenses. Or were all paid the same money for each point, the same money for each start, and the same money per mile travel expenses? And how did this relate for European riders in regard to travel expenses? 

I was only told about points money (per point). This was about 10 years ago. Could be nothing more than a rumour of course. 

2 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

From any exposure ive had those figures are pretty close to what i believe to be correct for the Kent side. The monies are largely close at most other clubs that ive heard however its the perks that can swing things in clubs favours, engines, frames, spares van fees all make a huge difference to riders success in the NL. Even the difference between getting an away tyre and supplying your own can have an impact upon where riders sign.

Could well be right for Kent.   I don't know any Kent riders.   But the little experience I've had with lower level NL riders at various other tracks says that £10-£15 is reserve level.  Second strings around £15, and £20/£25 for heat-leaders.   15p a mile seems standard travel for all.  I've never heard of a NL signing-on fee, and you'd be lucky to get a tyre for every meeting, although I know some do have tyre sponsors.

13 minutes ago, WalterPlinge said:

Could well be right for Kent.   I don't know any Kent riders.   But the little experience I've had with lower level NL riders at various other tracks says that £10-£15 is reserve level.  Second strings around £15, and £20/£25 for heat-leaders.   15p a mile seems standard travel for all.  I've never heard of a NL signing-on fee, and you'd be lucky to get a tyre for every meeting, although I know some do have tyre sponsors.

Often the issue with figures is it is largely the louder personalities that share them as part of their bluster unless you are genuinely on the inner circles with them so not all are accurate but £35 for a number 1 has been paid to various riders i know of. 

Tyres are often funded by clubs in differing ways (raffles, sponsored etc) but a lot of riders get plenty along with fuel, oil etc Team Kevlars can also be a big draw for some as that is another potential rider saving. Points monies are often within £5-10 of each other but its the add ons that cause the biggest divides between the big spenders and the struggles to competes.

• Like 1