British Speedway Forum

On 1/6/2019 at 3:36 PM, East End Fan said:

I tried to get onto the Swale Council site to add my bit in support of the Saturday thing, but, sadly, my lack of knowledge about how this blessed

internet works, I did not succeed.  So I think all those who ARE able to press the right buttons should add their support. For the long term, I am

sure this move is essential to Kent.  I am not the only one who would find Saturdays easier than Mondays.  Has the club said anything about the

opening date yet ?

Does this help ?

https://pa.midkent.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=PJJ0SNTYFN400

On 1/9/2019 at 11:18 AM, greyhoundp said:

Thanks, Greyhoundp.  Got into the site by clicking on to the web code you printed. Sadly, after that, I could get no further as

my e-mail address would not be accepted...I'll just have to write a letter !

Brummies fan interested in your battles v Planning as we have had many a similar joust with bureaucrats. Be interested to know what impact you think switch to Saturday's might have on your crowds? Always looked decent by NL standards to me what would your average be on a Monday night and what do you think it might be on a Saturday night? I've always thought that Saturday's in summer have too many counter-attractions, especially by the sea, would it actually boost your crowds?

So is it a challenge or league against BV? Seems a long trek for a challenge but prematurely announced for a league fixture. 

7 hours ago, Islander15 said:

So is it a challenge or league against BV? Seems a long trek for a challenge but prematurely announced for a league fixture. 

Challenge now announced as a one leg affair. Good work by the Kent promotion considering all the regular opposition have stepped up plus testing themselves against another strong league side will be a good marker for the season.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HGould said:

Brummies fan interested in your battles v Planning as we have had many a similar joust with bureaucrats. Be interested to know what impact you think switch to Saturday's might have on your crowds? Always looked decent by NL standards to me what would your average be on a Monday night and what do you think it might be on a Saturday night? I've always thought that Saturday's in summer have too many counter-attractions, especially by the sea, would it actually boost your crowds?

with todays technology you can sit on the beach witha bag of chips and watch the GPs  ,  on the other hand Kent is too far a stretch for many away supporters on a Monday ,

8 minutes ago, adonis said:

with todays technology you can sit on the beach witha bag of chips and watch the GPs  ,  on the other hand Kent is too far a stretch for many away supporters on a Monday ,

The other thing is that you watch the GPs at home in the garden in the summer with a beer.

12 hours ago, HGould said:

Ive got to say that Kents crowds are decent for many levels. A conservative average of 600 a week? Thats certainly similar to what was quoted as Workingtons figures for the Championship last year with far higher out goings.

Mondays are well backed as it doesn't clash with many other activities BUT is tight for many to get there due to the early start, does limit the number of children who can attend on a school night and makes it tricky for away riders & supporters alike. 

Saturdays do clash with many other activities but does offer a lot more freedom of travel time, not sure what the plan is regarding the GP weekends but i suspect if the crowd figures can maintain / show a slight improvement the switch would be considered a success as it will make it easier to complete signings in future seasons and potentially pave the way for s step up in division?

1 minute ago, Richard Weston said:

The other thing is that you watch the GPs at home in the garden in the summer with a beer.

10 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Ive got to say that Kents crowds are decent for many levels. A conservative average of 600 a week? Thats certainly similar to what was quoted as Workingtons figures for the Championship last year with far higher out goings.

Mondays are well backed as it doesn't clash with many other activities BUT is tight for many to get there due to the early start, does limit the number of children who can attend on a school night and makes it tricky for away riders & supporters alike. 

Saturdays do clash with many other activities but does offer a lot more freedom of travel time, not sure what the plan is regarding the GP weekends but i suspect if the crowd figures can maintain / show a slight improvement the switch would be considered a success as it will make it easier to complete signings in future seasons and potentially pave the way for s step up in division?

I wonder if a saturday  might attract a few lakeside and even rye house supporters

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, adonis said:

I wonder if a saturday  might attract a few lakeside and even rye house supporters

That tactical switch could pay off for Kent but they will still be competing against Eastbourne and there will be some who favour a higher level of racing. Depending on the opposition will most likely decide where i watch during the year, as whilst the NL league  standard is closer this year i have no interest in handing over my money if Kent start dishing out 60+ point drummings every week.

4 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

That tactical switch could pay off for Kent but they will still be competing against Eastbourne and there will be some who favour a higher level of racing. Depending on the opposition will most likely decide where i watch during the year, as whilst the NL league  standard is closer this year i have no interest in handing over my money if Kent start dishing out 60+ point drummings every week.

In the past I have been to Kent for about 6 meetings a season on Mondays. Always liked the comfort and view as well as the racing. On Saturdays,

with easier motorway driving down the M2, I will quite likely, with no Lakeside to follow, go to Sittingbourne every week. Eastbourne is a step too far for me

on a regular basis though I have visited several times in the past few seasons.  So I hope the council make the right decision.

As a kent and Eastbourne regular, i will choose the best meeting on the night if they clash. With the loss of Lakeside and Rye, my meetings will be greatly reduced next season. 

Pretty sure both clubs would/should try to work together to avoid running on the same night to maximise fans 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mac101 said:

Pretty sure both clubs would/should try to work together to avoid running on the same night to maximise fans 

Do common sense and speedway ever go together.

12 hours ago, mac101 said:

We run every week Mac, something our promotion and fans are very proud of. Even challenge matches raised over 500 people on the gate. And in the summer holidays I am pretty sure we had a press release saying we had four figure crowds each week.

Eastbourne over the last 2 seasons have had massive gaps in their fixtures, perhaps the new promoters will try to run weekly.

Apart from the Kent based Eastbourne riders and a group of faversham/Canterbury based eagles fans and the odd neutral like city rebel there is very little cross over in fans, such is the strength of rivalry.

• Like 1