British Speedway Forum

East End fan appreciate your views. I have had 2 visits there, one badly affected by curfew and the other track was dusty and badly rutted. If you go more often, I respect you will have better experience I must have been unlucky with meetings when visiting. All the best with Lakeside, hope you get back on track. H

On 2/10/2019 at 9:50 AM, HGould said:

Agree would not make much commercial sense to compete with your nearest geographical rivals when one could race CL on Saturday and the other NL on a Monday or Friday to probably attract a fair number who would go to both.

Len Silver though has only ever bothered about Len Silver and nobbling rival Promotions has always been part of that plan. Just ask Wimbledon! 

Just re-read HGould's file.  Now I'm very curious. What on earth did Len Silver do to "nobble" Wimbledon ?  Was not aware that he had anything to do

with the Dons.  Surely he cannot have been responsible for the stadium being demolished ?  Or was he ?

35 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

Just re-read HGould's file.  Now I'm very curious. What on earth did Len Silver do to "nobble" Wimbledon ?  Was not aware that he had anything to do

with the Dons.  Surely he cannot have been responsible for the stadium being demolished ?  Or was he ?

If he was responsible the plot thickens as the Kent stadium owner & main promoter of Kent speedway roger Cearns family built Wimbledon stadium!! :) 

East End Fan - not suggested he did anything as grand as affecting stadium or anything, more in the way shall I put better "loved to get one over"...got massive respect for Len Silver especially his Hackney days, a great race-track sadly lost. From what I know of pLough Lane which is limited any blame there is GRA and Council not anyone remotely involved in speedway racing.

2 hours ago, HGould said:

East End Fan - not suggested he did anything as grand as affecting stadium or anything, more in the way shall I put better "loved to get one over"...got massive respect for Len Silver especially his Hackney days, a great race-track sadly lost. From what I know of pLough Lane which is limited any blame there is GRA and Council not anyone remotely involved in speedway racing.

So in other words, you implied something that you had no proof of, and now saying you didn't/imply say it.

no I'm saying Len liked to get one over his biggest rivals at the time - shock horror! Not implying or proving anything, just stating the blindingly obvious. Like Toons and Mackems, Dons and Hawks, Bees and Heathens; Tigers and Monarchs....

4 hours ago, HGould said:

no I'm saying Len liked to get one over his biggest rivals at the time - shock horror! Not implying or proving anything, just stating the blindingly obvious. Like Toons and Mackems, Dons and Hawks, Bees and Heathens; Tigers and Monarchs....

'Loved to get one over' and 'nobbling ' have very different connotations I would say. 

16 hours ago, Sir Sidney said:

'Loved to get one over' and 'nobbling ' have very different connotations I would say. 

I have to agree with Sir Sidney.  Nobbling suggests some underhanded action that would be frowned upon.  It is far removed from

"Getting One over" which is what ANY manager should be doing about their opponents. 

first they move the GP to a sat in the football season; and now they want to do the same with Kent speedway. Just trying to save me money I guess!

12 hours ago, Mike.Butler said:

first they move the GP to a sat in the football season; and now they want to do the same with Kent speedway. Just trying to save me money I guess!

With track closures increasing mike, we are all going to save some money, wether we like it or not.

On 2/15/2019 at 8:28 AM, cityrebel said:

With track closures increasing mike, we are all going to save some money, wether we like it or not.

Like Cityrebel, I am from London and seriously regret the fact that there is no longer any Speedway there. Nearest point now, I suppose, is

Rye House  ( hardly London !) and I consider it the DUTY of the current Speedway bosses to get the place back in action for our sport at

the earliest opportunity.  I was told that more than one promoter is/was interested but that the cost of paying off the previous promoter's

debts, as demanded by the ( BSPA ?  SCB ?) was prohibitive.  I read in the SS that the previous owner had been made a bankrupt...why should

a prospective new promoter have to pay off his debts ?   To be fair, this was just hearsay and may not be true.  Does anyone actually KNOW

the facts ?

• Like 1

On 2/16/2019 at 10:26 PM, East End Fan said:

Like Cityrebel, I am from London and seriously regret the fact that there is no longer any Speedway there. Nearest point now, I suppose, is

Rye House  ( hardly London !) and I consider it the DUTY of the current Speedway bosses to get the place back in action for our sport at

the earliest opportunity.  I was told that more than one promoter is/was interested but that the cost of paying off the previous promoter's

debts, as demanded by the ( BSPA ?  SCB ?) was prohibitive.  I read in the SS that the previous owner had been made a bankrupt...why should

a prospective new promoter have to pay off his debts ?   To be fair, this was just hearsay and may not be true.  Does anyone actually KNOW

the facts ?

Irrespective of the previous promoters debts, the cost of making Rye House stadium fit for purpose, will be the biggest stumbling block for anyone thinking of taking it on.

Edited by cityrebel
Spelling mistake

12 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Irrespective of the previous promoters debts, the cost of making Rye House stadium fit for purpose, will be the biggest stumbling block for anyone thinking of taking it on.

Barring the removal of the ridiculous dirt mounds from the middle what else does actually need to be done at Rye House to make it fit for purpose? Its never going to be a NSS or Adrian Flux but the track is sound and the viewing areas accessible. With no major disrespect intended the likes of Stoke & Buxton  but they have run for many years on far lesser facilities.

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Barring the removal of the ridiculous dirt mounds from the middle what else does actually need to be done at Rye House to make it fit for purpose? Its never going to be a NSS or Adrian Flux but the track is sound and the viewing areas accessible. With no major disrespect intended the likes of Stoke & Buxton  but they have run for many years on far lesser facilities.

If you had experienced Lakeside's end of seasons meetings at Rye, i would say plenty. The car park is a major hazzard with large potholes and no lighting. The stadium itself has insufficient spectator lights, barely enough to fill in your programme in some areas. Add this to the uneven ground you have to walk on. The toilets were disgusting last year and are in need of an upgrade. Some of the temporary stands have steep steps and could be difficult to negotiate for some of the older fans. I know a disabled supporter that won't go to Rye because of access difficulties. Now the track itself, apart from the hill on the centre green, the lighting on the bends are non existant and the temporary lights were removed at the end of the top flight era. The BSPA currently consider Rye as not fit for purpose and i have to agree with them. Lakeside never had a chance of running there this season.

23 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

If you had experienced Lakeside's end of seasons meetings at Rye, i would say plenty. The car park is a major hazzard with large potholes and no lighting. The stadium itself has insufficient spectator lights, barely enough to fill in your programme in some areas. Add this to the uneven ground you have to walk on. The toilets were disgusting last year and are in need of an upgrade. Some of the temporary stands have steep steps and could be difficult to negotiate for some of the older fans. I know a disabled supporter that won't go to Rye because of access difficulties. Now the track itself, apart from the hill on the centre green, the lighting on the bends are non existant and the temporary lights were removed at the end of the top flight era. The BSPA currently consider Rye as not fit for purpose and i have to agree with them. Lakeside never had a chance of running there this season.

Certainly won't disagree about the craters in the Rye car park but they have been present since day dot. Lighting could be resolved by simply running on weekend days and negating the need for floodlights. The toilets do need an upgrade but that is a comment that could apply to almost every speedway venue. I am not saying the old place is perfect, far from it in fact but stating it is not fit for purpose seems hypocritical from the BSPA. I would still rather see a run down Rye House in operation than lose it forever.

• Like 1