British Speedway Forum

51 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Certainly won't disagree about the craters in the Rye car park but they have been present since day dot. Lighting could be resolved by simply running on weekend days and negating the need for floodlights. The toilets do need an upgrade but that is a comment that could apply to almost every speedway venue. I am not saying the old place is perfect, far from it in fact but stating it is not fit for purpose seems hypocritical from the BSPA. I would still rather see a run down Rye House in operation than lose it forever.

That's what happens when you try and take on the establishment. Usually there is only one winner.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Certainly won't disagree about the craters in the Rye car park but they have been present since day dot. Lighting could be resolved by simply running on weekend days and negating the need for floodlights. The toilets do need an upgrade but that is a comment that could apply to almost every speedway venue. I am not saying the old place is perfect, far from it in fact but stating it is not fit for purpose seems hypocritical from the BSPA. I would still rather see a run down Rye House in operation than lose it forever.

What on earth has happened there ?  I admit to not having visited Rye House since the days when my team, the Hammers, were in the same league as the

Rockets. The toilets were very clean and tidy then and I could sit in comfort in the little grandstand with a really nice bar close by if I fancied a drink. Always

liked it better than Arena simply because it was more comfortable for watching Speedway. Sounds as if someone has deliberately vandalised the place.

1 hour ago, East End Fan said:

What on earth has happened there ?  I admit to not having visited Rye House since the days when my team, the Hammers, were in the same league as the

Rockets. The toilets were very clean and tidy then and I could sit in comfort in the little grandstand with a really nice bar close by if I fancied a drink. Always

liked it better than Arena simply because it was more comfortable for watching Speedway. Sounds as if someone has deliberately vandalised the place.

Len sold BMR a turkey and they ran out of money, it's as simple as that. 

Len sold them a stadium that needed upgrading, true. My understanding is that all the electrics for example needed to be replaced.

But did they need to replace all the fencing?

Rip out all the red seats?

Did they HAVE to replace the pits with a super size version?

Rip out the long bar? Fine if the 'dealership' was immediately going to increase their revenue, but....

Are we saying that any business plan they had was scuppered by fixed race nights?

The 'turkey' had provided speedway for years, to a certain standard. BMR seemingly had the best intentions, but got it horribly wrong.....

• Like 1

Any chance of getting back to Kent now plz :)

slowly getting to tapes up. Zzzzz

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hawks 1975 said:

Len sold them a stadium that needed upgrading, true. My understanding is that all the electrics for example needed to be replaced.

But did they need to replace all the fencing?

Rip out all the red seats?

Did they HAVE to replace the pits with a super size version?

Rip out the long bar? Fine if the 'dealership' was immediately going to increase their revenue, but....

Are we saying that any business plan they had was scuppered by fixed race nights?

The 'turkey' had provided speedway for years, to a certain standard. BMR seemingly had the best intentions, but got it horribly wrong.....

Len was shrewd, he had a stadium that needed big investment and an ever shrinking fan base. Kent was on his doorstep with great facilities, it was a no brainer really.

11 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Any chance of getting back to Kent now plz :)

slowly getting to tapes up. Zzzzz

What was with the random numbers on the Kent bibs at the meet the riders? Kemp 9, Ledwith 13 etc?

55 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

What was with the random numbers on the Kent bibs at the meet the riders? Kemp 9, Ledwith 13 etc?

Think it was so that no one knows the planned riding order.

23 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

Think it was so that no one knows the planned riding order.

Sneaky.....if i was in charge (and thank heavens im not) i would go with

1. Kemp
  2. Spooner
  3. Rowe
  4. Ledwith
  5. Jenkins
  6. Ablitt
  7. Gilkes

1 hour ago, East End Fan said:

Teaboy seems to know what is going on at Kent.  Can you tell me when the Council will decide on the Saturday race day ?

1st week in july!!!

Tbh I ve not looked it up for a while. It's that horrible time of year, all the new riders have been announced,  and there is not much going on news worthy so we try to find other distractions. Mine seems to be working far to many hours and being on nights the world passes me by. Good news is I dont get paid for the extra work I get owed hours so the taxman dont get a bonus and I can get days off for away meetings once the season starts.

• Like 2

Having seen his tenaciousness and not wanting to destroy spooner after his upturn in form last year I’d personally run with 

1. Kemp 2. Spooner 3. Rowe 4. Ledwith 5. Jenkins 6. Gilkes 7. Ablitt only because Gilkes has had expireiemce and it’ll be a nicer way to ease Ablitt into competitive racing as well as that I feel Rowe hasn’t ridden as a second heat leader but I’m sure Jenkins has ridden at number 5 in the past few seasons a couple of times? - correct me if I’m wrong.