Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

23 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I have to say i have nothing against Drew or where he chooses to get his kevlars made its just a really poor example from Len of how costs are rising as in examples like this they are not rising he is just choosing a more expensive brand. All other clubs blame stadium rent or medical cover increases to duck out of it so nothing new but he would have been better of saying we have signed an expensive team that i expect to get a lot of points so need to up the gate money.

I too have nothing against Drew. Sadly, his promoter has left him wide open by publicising the cost.

Reasons, as above from Sings4Speedway, would be much more acceptable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

I too have nothing against Drew. Sadly, his promoter has left him wide open by publicising the cost.

Reasons, as above from Sings4Speedway, would be much more acceptable.

seen Drew at Leicester on Saturday night and Sheffield yesterday, did OK Saturday but well out of his depth at Sheffield, may be he should go back to his old gear. #kevlargate :o

• Haha 1

On 3/23/2019 at 6:29 AM, HGould said:

Strange move from Len,  who normally gets things right!.

Could argue comparison with Belle Vue (who have 2 Teams one in PL) is a bit unfair, but Kent still easily most expensive in NL.

What also confuses me is that in terms of "rival" he only has one geographically at Eastbourne and potential for them or Kent to attract support from Lakeside / Rye House and the London area, you'd think would be prime consideration.

Len in NL raises prices to £15 and has no OAP concessions.

Eastbourne move up to CL; have new management who tell everyone that they have  a carefully designed plan; and who then go £16 which is equal lowest in CL from what I can see for Adults; and looks very good value; also bring in new concessions for OAP's at £14 (according to their website they had no OAP concessions in NL?????); - which means that they charge a £1 less for higher league for any OAP to go and watch in the South East of England.  

Quite what Drew's kevlars has to do with it, who knows?, other than Drew should find someone else to make his kevlars who is not ripping him off, and Len should not rip fans off with such a tame excuse. Hopefully for Drew they won't get ripped in his first meeting or Len might be raising prices again!

Wouldn’t say that’s strictly true. Made many gaffes while Rye promotor, but, give him his due he kept the club running. 

£15 is too much for speedway at any level in this country nowadays. Sport’s on the slide massively. 

• Like 3

Lens only doing the sums for the 65-25 mashings each week, even the home fans will get brassed off with that eventually

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ben91 said:

Wouldn’t say that’s strictly true. Made many gaffes while Rye promotor, but, give him his due he kept the club running. 

£15 is too much for speedway at any level in this country nowadays. Sport’s on the slide massively. 

So if the sport's "on the slide massively", the promoters should charge less than they do and put it into complete oblivion ?

Rye fan Ben91 now has no team to support.   I'll bet he wishes he had one ( at Rye House) at ANY price.

13 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

So if the sport's "on the slide massively", the promoters should charge less than they do and put it into complete oblivion ?

Rye fan Ben91 now has no team to support.   I'll bet he wishes he had one ( at Rye House) at ANY price.

The product is constantly on the decline. Ramping prices up further is going to do nothing but drive more fans away. There are other ways to draw a crowd, namely promotion. 

I wish Rye were still running but towards the end I was picking and choosing my meetings because the sport simply wasn’t value for money. So no, not at ANY price.

The generation of fans who are/were happy to turn up and lap up whatever tripe was being served up, up and down the country are dying out, just like British Speedway. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ben91 said:

The product is constantly on the decline. Ramping prices up further is going to do nothing but drive more fans away. There are other ways to draw a crowd, namely promotion

I wish Rye were still running but towards the end I was picking and choosing my meetings because the sport simply wasn’t value for money. So no, not at ANY price.

The generation of fans who are/were happy to turn up and lap up whatever tripe was being served up, up and down the country are dying out, just like British Speedway. 

There is that word again! PROMOTION.

Last season I went to all but what turned out to be the last meeting at Rye House. They have a large advert just by the road entrance which had the next meeting date and time. Trouble was on all but two meetings when I arrived it showed the details of a previous meeting. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot, surely changing that hoarding should have been the first job on the day following a meeting.

Edited by Chris116
Missed out a word!
  • Like 2

I recall Silver putting up the price at Rye one season stating he wanted his riders to have ‘top’ machinery. I think they finished near the bottom!

Its what he does as he’s a business man first. If attendances are affected then he takes the blame.

Half his team are school kids who would probably ride for pocket money so don’t understand his logic.

Like my pal 'ruckeroo' posted earlier. Len's preparing himself for some hefty pay outs, at home and away this coming season.

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

Like my pal 'ruckeroo' posted earlier. Len's preparing himself for some hefty pay outs, at home and away this coming season.

You are totally right. He has built a team to score 60 home and away.

Mildenhall did that last year and we know what happened.

Accepted Eastie had the (financial) pain of some big home wins too.

Len should know better.

Wasn't he the man who coined the happiness is 40-38 saying?

That idea makes sense from so many viewpoints

• Like 1

Too right, that's one thing I'm looking forward to at Eastie. Some closer competitive meetings!

• Like 1

Be squeaky bum time again for us Eastie fans a few times in weeks ahead. Entertaining though

22 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

You are totally right. He has built a team to score 60 home and away.

Mildenhall did that last year and we know what happened.

Accepted Eastie had the (financial) pain of some big home wins too.

Len should know better.

Wasn't he the man who coined the happiness is 40-38 saying?

That idea makes sense from so many viewpoints

Mildenhall's crowds were good regardless of the opposition last season. People love to see a winning team so will still come along whatever they think the score will be. This should balance out the amount that will be paid out for the big home wins etc 

50 minutes ago, adz_mft said:

Mildenhall's crowds were good regardless of the opposition last season. People love to see a winning team so will still come along whatever they think the score will be. This should balance out the amount that will be paid out for the big home wins etc 

There is a point when things get out of kilter. Huge home wins cost big time.

I cannot speak for the Mildenhall crowds last year, which you say were good. 

However, were they good enough to pay for the steamroller Fen Tigers? I don't know

But, what I do know is that last year's promotion has not continued.

This year's team is not of the same order, in terms of expense, I suggest. I would accept there is some great young talent.

Reading between the lines, I do wonder if Mildenhall felt financial pain from such big wins.

1 hour ago, Richard Weston said:

There is a point when things get out of kilter. Huge home wins cost big time.

I cannot speak for the Mildenhall crowds last year, which you say were good. 

However, were they good enough to pay for the steamroller Fen Tigers? I don't know

But, what I do know is that last year's promotion has not continued.

This year's team is not of the same order, in terms of expense, I suggest. I would accept there is some great young talent.

Reading between the lines, I do wonder if Mildenhall felt financial pain from such big wins.

I don't think the finances were an issue. I believe we had a budget and stuck to that through the season. 

Jolly talked before last season started that it would potentially be his last so the reason to sell wasn't a surprise. 

I suspect if the new promotion thought the crowds would be an issue financially they wouldn't have carried on this season.