British Speedway Forum

I ve missed less then half a dozen (including amateur and SDL etc) meetings in 6 seasons so far.

For someone who lives like me, very much hand to mouth finding a lump some for a luxury item for myself no matter how good value it is, when that money could go on the kids.

Think I ll suggest next seson we announce prices earlier and allow us Fan's to pay in installments, I would get a season ticket for certain then.

15 quid is in my opinion too steep for NL Speedway (ar least to the casual follower), but then again you could barely buy a packet of fags and a pint of lager with that theses days.  The first 2 fixtures are for certain 1000 plus crowds if the weather is nice, the acid test will be the first normal Monday night to see whether the crowds still hold up.

And despite the planning permission failing to change race night, I see no reason why we cant race up in the higher leagues even with a 6.30 start. For riders in higher leagues many wont have a day job to have to have a day off work. And in all honesty if your travelling a few hundred miles to support your team the start time plays little consideration as most of us need to take the day off regardless of start time. The added bonus for away fans is getting on the road by 8.30 means even north of brum is doable by midnight.

So hopefully the club pursues this Avenue rather then poke the council with another application and risk further alienating ourselves to them to much. Obviously if we top flight we could retain Mondays ( we have planning for 1 day a week Monday to friday I believe) and I doubt very much whether BT Sports would be overly troubled by the earlier start time either, infact with little live action at half 6 ( cricket finished, footy not started) it could actually boost viewing figures and start a trend. It's highly noticable the sheer numbers of children who attend Kent weekly and this as much as Lens free kids supporters club helps is probably more to do with the start time. Iow the best promoted club in the land with bags of mini warriors every week starts at 7 and normally done by nine. I think there is a lot to be said for early evening midweek racing.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, flipper11 said:

No, if you go to 17 or more fixtures it’s worth it.

Yes,but some of the fixtures are just there to make up numbers.Like the recent Swindon fixture???

Saying that I still think £280 is too steep and not attractive to most fans.

Edited by blueherb777

3 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

I ve missed less then half a dozen (including amateur and SDL etc) meetings in 6 seasons so far.

For someone who lives like me, very much hand to mouth finding a lump some for a luxury item for myself no matter how good value it is, when that money could go on the kids.

Think I ll suggest next seson we announce prices earlier and allow us Fan's to pay in installments, I would get a season ticket for certain then.

15 quid is in my opinion too steep for NL Speedway (ar least to the casual follower), but then again you could barely buy a packet of fags and a pint of lager with that theses days.  The first 2 fixtures are for certain 1000 plus crowds if the weather is nice, the acid test will be the first normal Monday night to see whether the crowds still hold up.

And despite the planning permission failing to change race night, I see no reason why we cant race up in the higher leagues even with a 6.30 start. For riders in higher leagues many wont have a day job to have to have a day off work. And in all honesty if your travelling a few hundred miles to support your team the start time plays little consideration as most of us need to take the day off regardless of start time. The added bonus for away fans is getting on the road by 8.30 means even north of brum is doable by midnight.

So hopefully the club pursues this Avenue rather then poke the council with another application and risk further alienating ourselves to them to much. Obviously if we top flight we could retain Mondays ( we have planning for 1 day a week Monday to friday I believe) and I doubt very much whether BT Sports would be overly troubled by the earlier start time either, infact with little live action at half 6 ( cricket finished, footy not started) it could actually boost viewing figures and start a trend. It's highly noticable the sheer numbers of children who attend Kent weekly and this as much as Lens free kids supporters club helps is probably more to do with the start time. Iow the best promoted club in the land with bags of mini warriors every week starts at 7 and normally done by nine. I think there is a lot to be said for early evening midweek racing.

I think Teaboy hits the nail on the head when he compares cost to other items.  We all see it in different ways, but I would rather have a club that

is not living hand to mouth. It gives us a reason to be optimistic about the future.  Quite a consideration these days.

3 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Love the optimism but a few very salient points.

The trip to Kent for any Away side currently in PL / CL on a weeknight would be an absolute nightmare - that's before holiday season / god knows what happens with Brexit and M2 becoming a Car Park and for the majority a trip on or skirting M25. None of that is Kent's fault but would I think preclude moving up on anything but a Saturday or Sunday a massive risk.

The most logical move would be PL (if the format stays the same as now) on a Monday night, since you are well established and would be no major change like it would for many Clubs to switch off night). Belle Vue on the 22nd Easter Monday should be a great draw for you in terms of Crowd as they remain "the iconc" name in British Speedway. I get the rivalry you have with Eastbourne but notice that 3 of the only 4 riders of their 2018 NL Double Team in the UK/still riding are tied up that night (Mildenhall at Cradley/Wolverhampton) so what kind of match is that going to be??, not even on the Eastbourne Fixtures on their website???

The NL Fixtures will be the most influential, will be interesting to see if fans want to watch competitive Speedway or walkovers and 60 points every week?, I guess for 1 season it might work but can't see it appealing longer term.

Would wish Kent best of luck in getting a positive Planning outcome but unless they do unless Len can pull a rabbit out of the hat going to be tough to move up. That rabbit might be a breakaway big league or just one main League where BT could not dictate race nights. Be great to see Len and Kent back with the big boys.

Edited by HGould
edit as initial post was blank

4 hours ago, blueherb777 said:

Yes,but some of the fixtures are just there to make up numbers.Like the recent Swindon fixture???

Saying that I still think £280 is too steep and not attractive to most fans.

Not everyone buys a season ticket to save money, it could be a gift, to budget for the year or as I do with mine to gain entry through the pits. 

If you are a supporter of a club I would think you would go to as many matches as possible whether they are stocking fillers or not i certainly do, in which case it makes economic sense to buy one.   As for the recently announced match against Swindon I have no doubt there will be a big crowd, with Anders riding for Swindon and Kent’s best ever rider and legend Luke Bowen making a come back to ride for Kent, I’m looking forward to that match now!! 

1 hour ago, flipper11 said:

Not everyone buys a season ticket to save money, it could be a gift, to budget for the year or as I do with mine to gain entry through the pits. 

If you are a supporter of a club I would think you would go to as many matches as possible whether they are stocking fillers or not i certainly do, in which case it makes economic sense to buy one.   As for the recently announced match against Swindon I have no doubt there will be a big crowd, with Anders riding for Swindon and Kent’s best ever rider and legend Luke Bowen making a come back to ride for Kent, I’m looking forward to that match now!! 

With only SEVEN League fixtures at Home,Swindon is just a fixture filler otherwise there would be so few meetings!

I may be wrong but I like to watch speedway and regardless of the competition. I became hooked on offroad biking back in the 50's and still like to watch those with a skill that I profess I never acquired. Scrambles, grass and trials were all weekly individual meetings, apart from star meetings where a British team turned out. Shrublands Park was my top scrambles venue, brilliant place.  Yes, team riding is what many go to watch, however, in the sixties some of the best meetings were individual meetings and they continued really until the GP's when for various reasons individual meetings lost their attraction. Remember too that the Laurels is one of the longest running individual meetings that is now still with us. A meeting that I would always get down to Plough Lane to witness. The line-ups for some of the top individual meetings were as good as or even better than the individual world championships. Thus I am more than happy to say that I can still watch speedway in my retirement without having to turn on the little box in my living room. I have followed Rayleigh, West Ham and Arena Essex / Lakeside, all now defunct. £15.00 may be a debateable cost as is any price for a commodity. As Teaboy says compare it with fags and booze. If I go to the pub I can easily spend £16.00, whatever the cost I make the decision as to how I distribute my hard earnt money.

• Like 1

I still think the thing I am looking forward to most is a proper 4 team tournament. And with IOW and Plymouth legs back to back nights, and a week later the Mildenhall and Kent legs are on consecutive nights. It makes going to all 4 legs a lot more viable to go to.

Seeing the skipper back is a massive moment even if just for 2 matches.

Rob Ledwith should be a joy to watch and should attract plenty of press attention if his return goes as well as hoped. And then we have 6 potential superstars, I think all of them have the ability to get to the top leagues. So the potential to see a future GP star in Kings colours is much improved with this crop of exciting kids.

7 hours ago, blueherb777 said:

With only SEVEN League fixtures at Home,Swindon is just a fixture filler otherwise there would be so few meetings!

And this at Kent is what we do, we have speedway more or less every week and even for damp and cold challenge matches we still turn out in big enough numbers to turn a profit. I believe in 2017 the quoted average attendance was circa 800. And last season I remember Len saying the crowds were up significantly during the school holidays in 2018.

I think you trawl the pages of the forums and most clubs fans biggest gripe is the big gaps between meetings. I dont think it's a coincidence that we are one of a handful of clubs that has turned a profit each season we have run and we are one of only a handful of teams with weekly fixtures. Infact there were a few grumbles last year that we didn't chuck another meeting or 2 on deep into October.

On 3/30/2019 at 11:35 PM, teaboy279 said:

And this at Kent is what we do, we have speedway more or less every week and even for damp and cold challenge matches we still turn out in big enough numbers to turn a profit. I believe in 2017 the quoted average attendance was circa 800. And last season I remember Len saying the crowds were up significantly during the school holidays in 2018.

I think you trawl the pages of the forums and most clubs fans biggest gripe is the big gaps between meetings. I dont think it's a coincidence that we are one of a handful of clubs that has turned a profit each season we have run and we are one of only a handful of teams with weekly fixtures. Infact there were a few grumbles last year that we didn't chuck another meeting or 2 on deep into October.

Teaboy makes a good point about racing every week.  Not many clubs do it these days.  I had a phone call yesterday to tell me that the Kings are practicing at

Iwade this coming Sunday, but my friend was not sure about it.  Can any body confirm ?

That's correct - Sunday 14th at 12 noon is Kent's Press and Practice day at Iwade

Photo ops with the riders from 11am, on track from 12.

Quite a few kent fans were at Eastbourne last night supporting Ben Morley. It was good to see some competitive racing at Arlington for a change. It's a shame that Kent didn't move up with the Eagles.

PRESS & PRACTICE - GET IN THE PICTURE WITH THE KINGS: With the curtain set to rise on the much-anticipated 2019 Speedway season for the Kent TouchTec Kings, there's an opportunity for fans to get up close and personal with the new-look side as final preparations are made at next Sunday's (14/4) Press & Practice Day. As has become traditional, in order to give the maximum opportunities for the riders to get invaluable track time the P&P event is held not at the Kings' Central Park Stadium home but at the nearby Speedway training track facility in Iwade. Thanks go out to the Sittingbourne Speedway club for again allowing Kent to welcome the media, sponsors and supporters to this event which will begin at 11.30am on Sunday 14th. April - with the Kings Men out on track from mid-day. And this year there's a unique opportunity for fans to put themselves fully in the picture - literally, as supporters can have their photos taken with the team and/or individual riders from 11.30am. Team boss Chris Hunt said, "We really appreciate the fantastic supporters we have, many of whom double up as sponsors too, and the backing they give us and the P&P event being held at Iwade gives an excellent opportunity to allow the fans to meet the riders (in some cases for a first time as we have a number of new recruits) and grab a memento of what we hope will be a memorable campaign, in the form of photos with the team". All the new side will be present - with the exception of Drew Kemp who, as well as being the TouchTec-sponsored Kings' number one in the National League, is also 'doubling up' this term with the Sheffield Tigers in the next division up, the SGB Championship - and the South Yorkshire outfit having now moved to a Sunday afternoon racing slot young Drew will up up there in competitive action. The GB U21 Finalist (having secured seeded into the big meeting in Berwick on the 27th. of this month) has made a sensational start for the Steel City side, roaring to a top-scoring tally of paid 14 on his Tigers' debut and so the Kent management can rest assured their no. 1 will be gainfully employed in racing action though missing the P&P event alongside his new team mates. Of that side, Anders Rowe and Alex Spooner are retained from 2018 - both Anders & Alex are in action at the Isle of Wight two days after P&P hoping to qualify to join Drew in that GB U21 Final, competing in the semi-final of that national championship. They'll be joined at Iwade and on the Isle of Wight by new signings, former Mildenhall starlet Jordan Jenkins and double GB Youth Champion, the reigning title holder at the 250cc class, Nathan Ablitt. A new signing familiar to Kent fans and for many the rider who was top of their proverbial 'shopping list' when last season came to a close, is the highly rated youngster, Dan Gilkes. This sextet of teens (all aged 18 years are below) are captained by the fifth new face in the team, Rob Ledwith. Hunt is optimistic that the blend put together for an assault on the National League honours after a number of previous near-misses will see further significant progress made. "We've made improvements each year and now in this our seventh Speedway campaign at Central Park, we do think we can make that final breakthrough - with a side which can mount a strong challenge for honours." And it's the famed Kent team-spirit which can make all the difference, "The most important thing is that the team, although they haven't yet been together as a unit, do all know each other fairly well, so we're hoping that will be an advantage right from the off. "We've already done a series of get-togethers and we've also had team practices - so it's very much been about getting people to gel together. Sunday's P&P is a very important part of that, bringing the fans, media and sponsors into that equation too". The Press & Practice event is free entry and held on Sunday 14th. April with an 11.30am start time at Iwade Speedway, The Old Gun Site, Raspberry Hill Lane, off Old Ferry Rd., Iwade, Sittingbourne, Kent ME9 8SP.

On 4/8/2019 at 4:42 AM, teaboy279 said:

PRESS & PRACTICE - GET IN THE PICTURE WITH THE KINGS: With the curtain set to rise on the much-anticipated 2019 Speedway season for the Kent TouchTec Kings, there's an opportunity for fans to get up close and personal with the new-look side as final preparations are made at next Sunday's (14/4) Press & Practice Day. As has become traditional, in order to give the maximum opportunities for the riders to get invaluable track time the P&P event is held not at the Kings' Central Park Stadium home but at the nearby Speedway training track facility in Iwade. Thanks go out to the Sittingbourne Speedway club for again allowing Kent to welcome the media, sponsors and supporters to this event which will begin at 11.30am on Sunday 14th. April - with the Kings Men out on track from mid-day. And this year there's a unique opportunity for fans to put themselves fully in the picture - literally, as supporters can have their photos taken with the team and/or individual riders from 11.30am. Team boss Chris Hunt said, "We really appreciate the fantastic supporters we have, many of whom double up as sponsors too, and the backing they give us and the P&P event being held at Iwade gives an excellent opportunity to allow the fans to meet the riders (in some cases for a first time as we have a number of new recruits) and grab a memento of what we hope will be a memorable campaign, in the form of photos with the team". All the new side will be present - with the exception of Drew Kemp who, as well as being the TouchTec-sponsored Kings' number one in the National League, is also 'doubling up' this term with the Sheffield Tigers in the next division up, the SGB Championship - and the South Yorkshire outfit having now moved to a Sunday afternoon racing slot young Drew will up up there in competitive action. The GB U21 Finalist (having secured seeded into the big meeting in Berwick on the 27th. of this month) has made a sensational start for the Steel City side, roaring to a top-scoring tally of paid 14 on his Tigers' debut and so the Kent management can rest assured their no. 1 will be gainfully employed in racing action though missing the P&P event alongside his new team mates. Of that side, Anders Rowe and Alex Spooner are retained from 2018 - both Anders & Alex are in action at the Isle of Wight two days after P&P hoping to qualify to join Drew in that GB U21 Final, competing in the semi-final of that national championship. They'll be joined at Iwade and on the Isle of Wight by new signings, former Mildenhall starlet Jordan Jenkins and double GB Youth Champion, the reigning title holder at the 250cc class, Nathan Ablitt. A new signing familiar to Kent fans and for many the rider who was top of their proverbial 'shopping list' when last season came to a close, is the highly rated youngster, Dan Gilkes. This sextet of teens (all aged 18 years are below) are captained by the fifth new face in the team, Rob Ledwith. Hunt is optimistic that the blend put together for an assault on the National League honours after a number of previous near-misses will see further significant progress made. "We've made improvements each year and now in this our seventh Speedway campaign at Central Park, we do think we can make that final breakthrough - with a side which can mount a strong challenge for honours." And it's the famed Kent team-spirit which can make all the difference, "The most important thing is that the team, although they haven't yet been together as a unit, do all know each other fairly well, so we're hoping that will be an advantage right from the off. "We've already done a series of get-togethers and we've also had team practices - so it's very much been about getting people to gel together. Sunday's P&P is a very important part of that, bringing the fans, media and sponsors into that equation too". The Press & Practice event is free entry and held on Sunday 14th. April with an 11.30am start time at Iwade Speedway, The Old Gun Site, Raspberry Hill Lane, off Old Ferry Rd., Iwade, Sittingbourne, Kent ME9 8SP.

Had a very enjoyable afternoon at Iwade in spite of a rather cold wind coming off the Thames Estuary. Some of the youngsters looked quite fast. In particular

Alex Spooner and Nathan Ablitt.  Good to see Paul Hurry having a ride too, and looking quite classy. Lots of fans there and I was able to chat to some old

friends who all seem to think that the Kings will do well this year. Can't argue with that after watching them practice even though the track appeared to be a bit

rough in places.  To be fair, they graded it quite often and it did improve as the afternoon progressed. The big test will come on Monday.  Belle Vue look to be a

decent side and lots of people are tipping them for honours.