British Speedway Forum

Anyone off to the meeting today? Good to see the Thurrock Hammers have a meeting, fingers crossed it’s just the start.

4 hours ago, liam said:

Anyone off to the meeting today? Good to see the Thurrock Hammers have a meeting, fingers crossed it’s just the start.

Meeting abandoned due to curfew . 

Curfew...crikey it's not dark yet. How soon to the children of Sittingbourne go to bed? 

This is just plain silly.

Lots of fallers today which must put question marks against the Kent track, which already has come in for criticism this year.

I hoe those bruised and battered are OK.

However, not all bad news: Kent lost.

Reading on the speedway updates site suggests that Kent have 2 hours track time per week from the start of heat one on a Monday regardless of the start time. 

Unless Kent can manage to race 15 heats in under hours the sport surely has a limited future at the venue? Delays in completing meetings in a timely manner threatens the continuing existence of the sport at Kent IMO. 

At National League level seems 2 hours isn’t enough time for 15 heats at Kent. 

Whilst I would share Richard Weston’s thoughts about the track being to blame.....seems most of the fallers were home riders who should know how to ride their own track ? 

With the charges for admission rivalling those of the PL maybe Kent should invest in greater depth of medical cover to reduce the frequent delays  for rider medical  treatment? 

• Like 2

The bank holiday afternoon curfew is a new one on me. It has never been enforced prior to this season. The farcical events of two weeks ago stopped me going today, i took up Swindon's offer of £9 admission instead. Far too many meetings at Kent don't go the full distance and fans should be compensated when they don't.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Curfew...crikey it's not dark yet. How soon to the children of Sittingbourne go to bed? 

This is just plain silly.

Lots of fallers today which must put question marks against the Kent track, which already has come in for criticism this year.

I hoe those bruised and battered are OK.

However, not all bad news: Kent lost.

The question was asked mainly bend 2 in the post meeting press conference by a member of the audience. I firstly put it to Ben Morley as he has done the most laps of central park and he said he saw no problems out there and the track was as good as ever, and he still loved the place. I then put it to Nathan Ablitt who has gone through the fence a couple of times already. And he basically said the track is fine, and consistent and it's just a case of learning how to ride the deep dirt that's out there. 

But for sure having to abandon a busy bank holiday fixture will do nothing positive for the club, although today despite the delays, actually the county ambulance arrived pretty swiftly, and the transfer seemed to take far less time this week. So actually a potential abandonment after only half a meeting being staged was avoided, mainly due to the riders of both teams getting on with it after the enforced break.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cityrebel said:

The bank holiday afternoon curfew is a new one on me. It has never been enforced prior to this season. The farcical events of two weeks ago stopped me going today, i took up Swindon's offer of £9 admission instead. Far too many meetings at Kent don't go the full distance and fans should be compensated when they don't.

Len always runs speedway at a profit. Every little helps

19 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Looking at the start line pictures looked a very sparse crowd when you consider vast majority of the crowd are on home straight there. I do think that when Len is charging more that any PL/CL track within 200 miles he has got his pricing horribly wrong.

The curfew issues dogged Kent last few seasons and doing so again. No one wants to see riders hurt and there does seem to be an issue there. I suspect older more experienced riders (a) know when to ease off and (b) know how to be diplomatic but even home fans own blog is saying something has to be done b4 someone is killed.

Its a great shame as some decent people down there and could be a decent CL team if they could get a few hundred more in but that curfew will deter anyone travelling from too far away.

27 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Well after yesterday he won't be getting my little help as often. If you're going to charge top dollar you need to at least give the customer all 15 heats!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Central Park has far too many meetings that are curtailed.This is one of the reasons I do not like NL....young riders making mistakes,maybe track not too good etc etc.It all adds up to delay after delay.And the fact that Kent increased admission prices for people just to stand around with nothing happening is just wrong.There was a lot of delays last season and this hardly encourages people to go.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

The question was asked mainly bend 2 in the post meeting press conference by a member of the audience. I firstly put it to Ben Morley as he has done the most laps of central park and he said he saw no problems out there and the track was as good as ever, and he still loved the place. I then put it to Nathan Ablitt who has gone through the fence a couple of times already. And he basically said the track is fine, and consistent and it's just a case of learning how to ride the deep dirt that's out there. 

But for sure having to abandon a busy bank holiday fixture will do nothing positive for the club, although today despite the delays, actually the county ambulance arrived pretty swiftly, and the transfer seemed to take far less time this week. So actually a potential abandonment after only half a meeting being staged was avoided, mainly due to the riders of both teams getting on with it after the enforced break.

speedway  riders are like politicians . what they say  in a press conference .where potential employers are onlooking , will be an entirely different thing to what they will say in the changing rooms or between themselves . very few have the minerals to say it like it is ,

• Like 1

The build up of deep shale on the second bend exit coupled to the narrow straight is a problem to mainly the inexsperienced young riders,of which there are several at kent ,,this needs to be addressed now before there is a considerable exit of fans due to the crazy short curfew ,,15 pound  as well ,,,is too much for national league speedway with no senior citizen consessions...You can hardly understand the announcer in the stand,,the presentation should be much slicker ...The ref Cris Gay holds the tapes to long and always causes lots of starting problems that also eat up the time.....It all needs sorting,,this is of course only my opinion.......

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, waco said:

The build up of deep shale on the second bend exit coupled to the narrow straight is a problem to mainly the inexsperienced young riders,of which there are several at kent ,,this needs to be addressed now before there is a considerable exit of fans due to the crazy short curfew ,,15 pound  as well ,,,is too much for national league speedway with no senior citizen consessions...You can hardly understand the announcer in the stand,,the presentation should be much slicker ...The ref Cris Gay holds the tapes to long and always causes lots of starting problems that also eat up the time.....It all needs sorting,,this is of course only my opinion.......

Absolutely spot on

• Like 1

City Rebel,

relieved to hear it’s not “just me” who has lost his interest in attending at Kent. I tried a few meetings last year and never saw 15 heats due to “curfew” The last meeting I watched I actually walked out before the meeting was abandoned. It was against Eastbourne, where I witnessed the most disgraceful display of time wasting by the Eastbourne “promotion” to ensure the match would be  “ curfewed  off “

Neither of the 2 accounts of the 2 meetings in 2019 inspire me to try again .......

Sad really as this is my only speedway track left within 60 miles. 

• Like 1