British Speedway Forum

22 minutes ago, flipper11 said:

It seems a shame that as a fairly regular visitor to Kent you now have such a negative view of Kent & seem to have stopped going. However, i do understand that to travel from London to Kent not knowing if there will be a complete meeting would put you off. The damn curfew is a pain in the rear! Hopefully when the Kent riders have found their feet & there is more chance of a complete meeting you may take it a bit more than leaving it. 

On the subject of track grading. Its damned if you do & damned if you don't. If there is a track grade regularly & a hold up later on as per yesterday everyone would say why grade & not push on with the meeting. If there is a grade while riders are laying on track people would say the noise could hinder the paramedics, if you grade 1 end & not the other that would be viewed as wrong. All the hold ups yesterday bar Alex would not have allowed enough time to grade before the restart. As i said damn curfew.

I'm not boycotting Kent, far from it. I will be there next monday for the Plymouth match. I went to Swindon yesterday to see the new track, and because it was £6 cheaper. The clincher for me was the new bank holiday curfew that appeared 2 weeks ago. How can noise be an issue in the afternoon. Plenty of holiday meetings in the past have gone well past the 2 hour mark, some nearer 3. I'd like to know the reasons why the council have now imposed this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IAN2 said:

Well I'm back on the track Staff now and am not at all impressed by having to re build the back straight fence every other heat. Almost entirely due to the track cambers which take the riders into the fence, totally wrong. If this is not rectified many more meetings will be cut short without a doubt and paying the extra pound this season to spectate is asking too much, thank god the club never moved up to the Championship, laughing stock would be an understatement.    

Thanks a lot for stating the facts.

6 minutes ago, IAN2 said:

Well I'm back on the track Staff now and am not at all impressed by having to re build the back straight fence every other heat. Almost entirely due to the track cambers which take the riders into the fence, totally wrong. If this is not rectified many more meetings will be cut short without a doubt and paying the extra pound this season to spectate is asking too much, thank god the club never moved up to the Championship, laughing stock would be an understatement.    

Interesting post.I have always thought the track was a problem.....and asking youngsters to race on it is asking for problems.....AND DELAYS!!!! 

hi me and the family were season ticket holders for 5 years ,then son and wife lost interest with the curfew and standing around .then me and daughter had it.some of the kids riding shouldn't be racing in the teams yet.the price keeps going up not worth 15.00 who cares if you won the league beating 6 teams the matches for the same price are a waste of time.

Well only tell the truth and the track is the main problem, coupled with the curfew is a sure fire disaster. At least a negotiated 15 minute extension with the council in the event of the ambulance coming on track should be sorted and in the first instance the air fence should be extended further round the exit of bend 1 by at least 3 sections.

Going back to Canterbury days we used to have a 2 hour curfew, 18/20 heats of racing, nothing cut short, a 15 minute extension for an ambulance coming on track and 2 Ambulances always in attendance, nuff. said. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IAN2 said:

Well only tell the truth and the track is the main problem, coupled with the curfew is a sure fire disaster. At least a negotiated 15 minute extension with the council in the event of the ambulance coming on track should be sorted and in the first instance the air fence should be extended further round the exit of bend 1 by at least 3 sections.

Going back to Canterbury days we used to have a 2 hour curfew, 18/20 heats of racing, nothing cut short, a 15 minute extension for an ambulance coming on track and 2 Ambulances always in attendance, nuff. said. 

Do you tell Mr Silver the concerns about the track?

As this sounds like an urgent matter.

21 minutes ago, blueherb777 said:

Interesting post.I have always thought the track was a problem.....and asking youngsters to race on it is asking for problems.....AND DELAYS!!!! 

It's something a lot of us speedway fans never see or really have an awareness of "banking and cambers" I've only had chance to walk on 2-3 tracks but on each occasion been surprised that banking and cambers from on/inside is markedly different from what you think they are looking from outside the track.

Any camber that pulls a rider in to a fence is dangerous, but on a straight - thats doubly dangerous.

Explains a lot regarding the problems

6 minutes ago, HGould said:

It's something a lot of us speedway fans never see or really have an awareness of "banking and cambers" I've only had chance to walk on 2-3 tracks but on each occasion been surprised that banking and cambers from on/inside is markedly different from what you think they are looking from outside the track.

Any camber that pulls a rider in to a fence is dangerous, but on a straight - thats doubly dangerous.

Explains a lot regarding the problems

The adverse camber on turn 2 at Rye House was notorious. Some riders that went over that were never seen again!

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I'm not boycotting Kent, far from it. I will be there next monday for the Plymouth match. I went to Swindon yesterday to see the new track, and because it was £6 cheaper. The clincher for me was the new bank holiday curfew that appeared 2 weeks ago. How can noise be an issue in the afternoon. Plenty of holiday meetings in the past have gone well past the 2 hour mark, some nearer 3. I'd like to know the reasons why the council have now imposed this.

I went to the opening match Swindon v Poole & as I'm sure you noticed the pits seemed to be in someones garden & I'm sure people were watching the speedway from their bedrooms. The tannoy was like a nightclub yet at Kent we a tannoy nobody can hear & a 6pm curfew on a bank holiday, the country is barking mad.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, flipper11 said:

I went to the opening match Swindon v Poole & as I'm sure you noticed the pits seemed to be in someones garden & I'm sure people were watching the speedway from their bedrooms. The tannoy was like a nightclub yet at Kent we a tannoy nobody can hear & a 6pm curfew on a bank holiday, the country is barking mad.

Indeed it is. What about the sports club which located 5 minutes from Central Park. I bet they're quiet as a mouse on saturday nights.

11 minutes ago, flipper11 said:

completely different planning circumstances as those houses were built in knowledge speedway was there and would be there as long as speedway / dogs are viable.

local Council also far more interested in speedway and to be fair swindon have far higher profile as in PL and on TV regularly.

1 hour ago, blueherb777 said:

Do you tell Mr Silver the concerns about the track?

As this sounds like an urgent matter.

Sadly Uncle Len was only saying the other night that their was nothing wrong with the track and I very much doubt He would listen anyway. All I would say is you might well have a superior stadium at Central Park but we have a far superior racing circuit for the riders at Iwade just down the road. 

3 minutes ago, IAN2 said:

Sadly Uncle Len was only saying the other night that their was nothing wrong with the track and I very much doubt He would listen anyway. All I would say is you might well have a superior stadium at Central Park but we have a far superior racing circuit for the riders at Iwade just down the road. 

Hard to argue at that. Lydd is always very well prepared as well.

1 minute ago, cityrebel said:

Hard to argue at that. Lydd is always very well prepared as well.

Would agree with that you only get out of a track by the amount of effort put in by way of preparation over many hours.

Len had adverse cambers on the second turn as it affected visiting riders at Rye House ,giving home team advantage...unfortunatly here it is affecting the young home team riders..it must be changed before serious injury to some one..and possible track closure due to the accursed curfew

• Like 1