British Speedway Forum

39 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

The stand alone clubs are in a no win situation. If the third tier is run along MDL lines, then you are probably looking at around £7 admissions tops. Nowhere near enough to cover their overheads, especially as their crowd levels are likely to drop. It's a fine balance between using young riders learning their trade and the oldies who are treading water, with very little chance of moving up. I don't envy the decision makers.

I always advocated that over the last few seasons when the likes of Eastie, Kent and Birmingham were in the NL it was a perfect training ground for the likes of Brennan, Kemp, Flint and many others but there were some who said it wasn't a "development " league and costs too high, if it goes down the route it appears to be going it'll disappear and harm the prospects of future riders of the like. Hope I'm wrong!:(

• Like 1

The NDL has been a good training ground because it had a mix of young riders learning their trade helped by the old hands who knew they would probably never move into the higher leagues but enjoyed racing and passing on their knowledge to the youngsters. Maybe there needs to be a limit on over 25 or 30 year olds in the league but they are an important part of the development of the young riders. The older riders also improve the standard of racing and help the stand alone clubs provide a spectacule that is worth watching on a regular basis. 

Making the NDL into a juniors only league would see it vanish faster than a GP rider after he is told how much he can earn in the Premiership.

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Chris116 said:

The NDL has been a good training ground because it had a mix of young riders learning their trade helped by the old hands who knew they would probably never move into the higher leagues but enjoyed racing and passing on their knowledge to the youngsters. Maybe there needs to be a limit on over 25 or 30 year olds in the league but they are an important part of the development of the young riders. The older riders also improve the standard of racing and help the stand alone clubs provide a spectacule that is worth watching on a regular basis. 

Making the NDL into a juniors only league would see it vanish faster than a GP rider after he is told how much he can earn in the Premiership.

Is there a plan to make the NL into a juniors only league ? Worst idea I've ever heard. Who came up with that stroke of genius ?

I hope that someone on this thread has the wrong information.

56 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

Is there a plan to make the NL into a juniors only league ? Worst idea I've ever heard. Who came up with that stroke of genius ?

I hope that someone on this thread has the wrong information.

It is only based upon comments made by CVS. That said because the public have been left in the dark again it is largely speculation. Thrown in that many of the higher league snobs look down badly on the NL and development leagues, see one poor rider and tar every other rider with the same brush. 

The national league has hardly enough fans now..It would be crazy to reduce the standard......Youngsters can learn from the older riders in the teams,,and it is so important,there is this level to bring them on,to the point they can progress to the higher levels

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, waco said:

The national league has hardly enough fans now..It would be crazy to reduce the standard......Youngsters can learn from the older riders in the teams,,and it is so important,there is this level to bring them on,to the point they can progress to the higher levels

Nailed it. The sport needs to decide what it wants as a long term. If it is to have a higher standard at top domestic and world level then it needs to be a higher standard throughout, expecting a reduced level NL to be a viable stepping stone to s strong CL & PL is just madness. There already riders in the NL that should be dev leagues only and likewise dev league riders that should be amateur scene only. If the demand is for an inclusive sport that is open to all abilities then fine but i don't here many fans calling for that. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Nailed it. The sport needs to decide what it wants as a long term. If it is to have a higher standard at top domestic and world level then it needs to be a higher standard throughout, expecting a reduced level NL to be a viable stepping stone to s strong CL & PL is just madness. There already riders in the NL that should be dev leagues only and likewise dev league riders that should be amateur scene only. If the demand is for an inclusive sport that is open to all abilities then fine but i don't here many fans calling for that. 

For once I find myself agreeing with Sing's remarks. I personally think that the standards in the existing N.L. is about right. A good mix of

experience and youth and a place where riders like Gilkes can learn their trade and spread their wings. And attractive to people like me to

pay to see it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it’s how Pipe wants the NL. I think because he had to run a team like Buxton on such a budget he feels all clubs should run like that. But then again trying to fix the NL and bridge the gap between the two leagues is not entirely the Nl fault. This is how I perceive it:

1. The NDL should still be run as a development league. Although still with a large gap in quality between NDL & MDSL. 
2. Keep the older hands but limit it to 1 over age limit per team. 
3. introduce a rule where teams can only have 1 rider in the leagues above also racing in the NDL.

2 hours ago, TurnTwo said:

I think it’s how Pipe wants the NL. I think because he had to run a team like Buxton on such a budget he feels all clubs should run like that. But then again trying to fix the NL and bridge the gap between the two leagues is not entirely the Nl fault. This is how I perceive it:

1. The NDL should still be run as a development league. Although still with a large gap in quality between NDL & MDSL. 
2. Keep the older hands but limit it to 1 over age limit per team. 
3. introduce a rule where teams can only have 1 rider in the leagues above also racing in the NDL.

Better idea...

bin Pipe and bring in Barry Bishop, he knows the NDL inside out and also SDL and best marketing man in Speedway by miles.

Let him develop a blueprint to keep standalone Clubs in business and also cater for those that want to run 2 teams.

Pipe achieved exactly what is Speedway?

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, HGould said:

Better idea...

bin Pipe and bring in Barry Bishop, he knows the NDL inside out and also SDL and best marketing man in Speedway by miles.

Let him develop a blueprint to keep standalone Clubs in business and also cater for those that want to run 2 teams.

Pipe achieved exactly what is Speedway?

That's THE BEST POST ANYONE AS PUT ON THE FORUM SPOT ON.  Barry bishop is by far the best person to run NDL. not pipe

• Like 3

It amazes me that the best people never seem to be in charge where they are desperately needed.........

• Like 1

Maybe Barry has not got time to take it on with work.  But one thing for sure is 100% the right man to take it to a higher level and does know how to promote.....

Barry Bishop is a breath of fresh air and he clearly has something to offer our sport in some capacity high up.Barry and Lee Kilby are two individual's who i hope have a big influence in a way of taking our sport forward at every level in the future, will it happen who knows.?

Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 12:03 PM, Sidney the robin said:

Barry Bishop is a breath of fresh air and he clearly has something to offer our sport in some capacity high up.Barry and Lee Kilby are two individual's who i hope have a big influence in a way of taking our sport forward at every level in the future, will it happen who knows.?

Just re-read all the recent comments on this thread which is intended for Kent.  Not a word about Kent have I read .

Does anyone actually know if Kent are going to compete in the NL ?  Does anyone know who else will form the NL ?