British Speedway Forum

11 hours ago, Vic Meldrew said:

Why don't you meet Len on site and explain to him where he is going wrong with the track surface, materials and shape?

Don't forget to take a flip chart, power point presentation, some throat lozenges and an oxygen tank because you will talk until you are blue in the face an beyond before Len Silver ever admits he got something wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Don't forget to take a flip chart, power point presentation, some throat lozenges and an oxygen tank because you will talk until you are blue in the face an beyond before Len Silver ever admits he got something wrong.

Summed up nicely. :blink:

I am an ex-Hammers fan going back to the days when West Ham raced at Custom House and I now have no Hammers to

support  ( except for this coming Bank Holiday at Kent).  Mostly because of the comfortable facilities at Kent, which at my age is

very important, I am becoming a regular there.  Like most onlookers, I am not a track expert.....but I do watch when riders are

in action. At Kent I see the vast majority of riders able to ride for 4 laps at full throttle and I'm pretty sure this would not be possible

if the track was as bad as I read about on this forum.  Maybe Victor Meldrew had a good idea when he suggested that a meeting with

Len Silver to discuss the track failings by the experts on here would be a good idea.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

I am an ex-Hammers fan going back to the days when West Ham raced at Custom House and I now have no Hammers to

support  ( except for this coming Bank Holiday at Kent).  Mostly because of the comfortable facilities at Kent, which at my age is

very important, I am becoming a regular there.  Like most onlookers, I am not a track expert.....but I do watch when riders are

in action. At Kent I see the vast majority of riders able to ride for 4 laps at full throttle and I'm pretty sure this would not be possible

if the track was as bad as I read about on this forum.  Maybe Victor Meldrew had a good idea when he suggested that a meeting with

Len Silver to discuss the track failings by the experts on here would be a good idea.

strange then that several Kent riders have pointed out the 2nd bend issue, and last season the ruts in 3rd turn were a continual problem. I'm only making comment about what I have seen with my own eyes and read with them too. Have widely praised Kent for getting many things right, but a dangerous track that could be rectified with a day with a blade is surely something that needs sorting. 

32 minutes ago, Vic Meldrew said:

Sings4Speedway and blueherb777 clearly not Len Silver fans!!

Big fan of everything that Uncle Len has done for the sport and greatly applaud his efforts but doesn't take away from the fact that he is a stubborn old goat.

10 minutes ago, HGould said:

strange then that several Kent riders have pointed out the 2nd bend issue, and last season the ruts in 3rd turn were a continual problem. I'm only making comment about what I have seen with my own eyes and read with them too. Have widely praised Kent for getting many things right, but a dangerous track that could be rectified with a day with a blade is surely something that needs sorting. 

The 2nd bend has always had grippy patches which have often been used to home riders advantage but have also seen plenty take out the boards. My fears for turn 3 are a little deeper as the debut season saw problems with the base and suspect IF it is rutting up continually the same may be the case again.

Having read so many adverse comments about the track at Kent on this forum, I am proposing to go onto the track after Bank Holiday Monday's meeting if I can

get permission to do it.  I have not observed "ruts" on bend 3 but have seen a lot of grip on bend 2 which many riders use when passing opponents...for me that is a good

thing, not bad...But I will ( hopefully) have a look at close quarters if I am allowed..

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Vic Meldrew said:

Sings4Speedway and blueherb777 clearly not Len Silver fans!!

Again respect for what he has achieved in the sport,I just think you can go on too long running things and as far as I am concerned holding the Club back.I have said before there was good people at the Club early days but soon went.

Edited by blueherb777

On 4/25/2019 at 2:06 PM, blueherb777 said:

Again respect for what he has achieved in the sport,I just think you can go on too long running things and as far as I am concerned holding the Club back.I have said before there was good people at the Club early days but soon went.

During one of my visits last year, the guy sitting next to me told me that Len Silver had built the track and had run it from the very beginning.  Is that true ?

Why did the good people that blueherb777 mention leave ?  What did they do that gets your admiration ? I am changing ( due to Lakeside closure) from an occasional

visitor to a regular and I'd like to know more about the true history of the club. At present I'd say it looks to be in a pretty healthy state, but Id like to know about the past.

3 hours ago, East End Fan said:

During one of my visits last year, the guy sitting next to me told me that Len Silver had built the track and had run it from the very beginning.  Is that true ?

Why did the good people that blueherb777 mention leave ?  What did they do that gets your admiration ? I am changing ( due to Lakeside closure) from an occasional

visitor to a regular and I'd like to know more about the true history of the club. At present I'd say it looks to be in a pretty healthy state, but Id like to know about the past.

Fundamentally it's the same people now as it was when we started. Chris Hunt joined in 2014 after IOW folded. 

Len and Roger (stadium lease holder and owner of cearnsport) have promoted since day one.

Cta fire were title sponsors for a couple of years, but now mainly sponsor individuals but are still full time supporters.

Then we had Slyde who sponsored up until last season.

I dont even think much has changed behind the scenes, we now have a new commercial manager who is trying to generate new ideas. 

But by and large it is very similar to the set up as was when set up in 2013.

21 hours ago, East End Fan said:

I will mention one Neil`Nikko`Day was early commercial manager.He wanted to take the Club forward with modern ideas but left when this was not possible.Lovely Guy who I spoke to many times as I sponsored a rider in that first season.

1 hour ago, blueherb777 said:

I will mention one Neil`Nikko`Day was early commercial manager.He wanted to take the Club forward with modern ideas but left when this was not possible.Lovely Guy who I spoke to many times as I sponsored a rider in that first season.

Thanks for that info. Teaboy says little has changed. I'm curious to know if this is true. Who is/was Neil Nikko Day ?  What were the "modern ideas" that were

not possible and made him leave ?   Surely anyone would encourage any ideas that would improve a club ? Only idiots would not.  Who was team manager

before Chris Hunt. Did Silver do it himself ? He used to share the job years ago at Hackney as I remember. They never won anything, but the racing was great.

28 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

Thanks for that info. Teaboy says little has changed. I'm curious to know if this is true. Who is/was Neil Nikko Day ?  What were the "modern ideas" that were

not possible and made him leave ?   Surely anyone would encourage any ideas that would improve a club ? Only idiots would not.  Who was team manager

before Chris Hunt. Did Silver do it himself ? He used to share the job years ago at Hackney as I remember. They never won anything, but the racing was great.

I will not go into what happened the early days.The first Team Manager was John Sampford.But only one person picks the team as far as I am concerned.Funny you should mention not winning anything as this is the seventh season in the third tier of Speedway.....and so far the team has WON nothing!

Anyone know Len’s record in winning things? Eg: league titles, ko cups, shields etc ... as a promoter 

3 hours ago, blueherb777 said:

A good Commercial Manager is worth her/his weight in gold and some very good examples of that at tracks like Belle Vue; Glasgow; Birmingham/Swindon, IOW; Leicester and Eastbourne from what I have seen with my own eyes in the last year or so.