British Speedway Forum

Sure the 3rd bend at Kent has always had adverse cambers seem it catch loads of riders trying to pass on the outside going into bend 3 

Interesting comments IAN2 re Canterbury. Maybe some hints for young Leaping Len?

“Going back to Canterbury days we used to have a 2 hour curfew, 18/20 heats of racing, nothing cut short, a 15 minute extension for an ambulance coming on track and 2 Ambulances always in attendance”

4 hours ago, IAN2 said:

Well I'm back on the track Staff now and am not at all impressed by having to re build the back straight fence every other heat. Almost entirely due to the track cambers which take the riders into the fence, totally wrong. If this is not rectified many more meetings will be cut short without a doubt and paying the extra pound this season to spectate is asking too much, thank god the club never moved up to the Championship, laughing stock would be an understatement.    

Interesting you say the cambers are all wrong on bend 2, for the last couple of seasons there has been some fantastic overtakes on bends 1 & 2 particularly as the meeting progresses & the dirt moves out, who can forget Kemps swoop round Thomas & Stoneman at the tail end of last season. I don't remember any comments about adverse camber on that bend until now has Len put this in over the winter? 

You say there should be 3 more air bags on bends 1 & 2 has Len changed the finished position of the bags this year, as again i don't recall any comments from anyone in seasons gone that there is not enough bags & they look to me to finish in the same position as last year.  Surely there must be a safety regulation for where they finish which is checked by the referee before meeting starts? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IAN2 said:

Sadly Uncle Len was only saying the other night that their was nothing wrong with the track and I very much doubt He would listen anyway. All I would say is you might well have a superior stadium at Central Park but we have a far superior racing circuit for the riders at Iwade just down the road. 

Think we are blessed in the south east to have Both Iwade and Lydd with well prepared tracks for riders of all standards. Then rye house is not a million miles away either.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

Think we are blessed in the south east to have Both Iwade and Lydd with well prepared tracks for riders of all standards. Then rye house is not a million miles away either.

you sound like a Man Utd fan in denial of Liverpool's great win last night conveniently forgetting the only professional speedway Club in the South East who are your great rivals. :o

they had the best track man in the sport for decades, although I must say their track not as good when I went early in season as it used to be, although it was freezing cold and early season.

12 hours ago, IAN2 said:

Sadly Uncle Len was only saying the other night that their was nothing wrong with the track and I very much doubt He would listen anyway. All I would say is you might well have a superior stadium at Central Park but we have a far superior racing circuit for the riders at Iwade just down the road. 

Well what a shock !!!!! A one man band....who has to control everything. Sad this is the case...probably why the Club has stood still since day one and still has track problems. IMHO

14 hours ago, cityrebel said:

The adverse camber on turn 2 at Rye House was notorious. Some riders that went over that were never seen again!

Robbo told us . if you get your back wheel on top of the camber  and your front wheel inside you will fly round rye . but  it's a fine line because if your front wheel crosses the camber your'e going in the fence . looks like the odd round the outside crowd pleasing blasts , are justification for all the crashes in Lens mind

11 hours ago, flipper11 said:

Interesting you say the cambers are all wrong on bend 2, for the last couple of seasons there has been some fantastic overtakes on bends 1 & 2 particularly as the meeting progresses & the dirt moves out, who can forget Kemps swoop round Thomas & Stoneman at the tail end of last season. I don't remember any comments about adverse camber on that bend until now has Len put this in over the winter? 

You say there should be 3 more air bags on bends 1 & 2 has Len changed the finished position of the bags this year, as again i don't recall any comments from anyone in seasons gone that there is not enough bags & they look to me to finish in the same position as last year.  Surely there must be a safety regulation for where they finish which is checked by the referee before meeting starts? 

Every meeting I have ever attended at Kent I have seen loads of good overtaking round the outside of bends one and two including last Monday. Alfie Bowtell in

particular making it look easy.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

Every meeting I have ever attended at Kent I have seen loads of good overtaking round the outside of bends one and two including last Monday. Alfie Bowtell in

particular making it look easy.

Alfie Bowtell is a lot more experienced than some of the younger riders. It's all about preparing a track all levels of riders can race on.

• Like 1

I hate to say this but I was planning to visit Kent for the first time next Bank Holiday Monday but havng seen the number of meetings that have suffered from the curfew I am very much thinking that I will find some other entertainment for that afternoon as I am not keen on incomplete meetings.

8 hours ago, HGould said:

you sound like a Man Utd fan in denial of Liverpool's great win last night conveniently forgetting the only professional speedway Club in the South East who are your great rivals. :o

they had the best track man in the sport for decades, although I must say their track not as good when I went early in season as it used to be, although it was freezing cold and early season.

I was referring to training tracks. Not sure it's that easy for Joe public to have a skid at Eastbourne. Whereas both iwade and Lydd,you or i could roll up with correct equipment, fill out relevant paperwork, pay our money and ride. That's why I added Rye House as again its solely a training track atm.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chris116 said:

I hate to say this but I was planning to visit Kent for the first time next Bank Holiday Monday but havng seen the number of meetings that have suffered from the curfew I am very much thinking that I will find some other entertainment for that afternoon as I am not keen on incomplete meetings.

That's an entirely reasonable point of view. 

Anyone who is not a regular would at least bear that in mind when making a decision to attend or not.

2 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

I was referring to training tracks. Not sure it's that easy for Joe public to have a skid at Eastbourne. Whereas both iwade and Lydd,you or i could roll up with correct equipment, fill out relevant paperwork, pay our money and ride. That's why I added Rye House as again its solely a training track atm.

Do you think Rye ,will ever be anything else ?

11 hours ago, adonis said:

Do you think Rye ,will ever be anything else ?

It would be a waste if that's all it stayed as.

At the bare minimum if it was allowed league speedway next year, you could be pretty certain promotions would be looking to race a Raiders and a Hammers team out of there in the NL at the very least.

I was convinced that both Rye House and The Hammers were going to both come to the tapes at hoddesdon this season. With one traditionally a Friday team and one a Saturday it could and can work I would of thought. Due to the relatively relaxed restrictions on the venue and its location, I am actually surprised more nomadic clubs have not tried using it as a temporary home.

11 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

That's an entirely reasonable point of view. 

Anyone who is not a regular would at least bear that in mind when making a decision to attend or not.

I read the post and found it entirely reasonable too,  what I will say is, i think without exception all curfew related issues last season involved riders being taken to hospital or being attended to by medics. Kent in general do tend to get on with it.

But along with Weather, work schedule etc something like abandonments would all be in the mix when I worked out wether to travel greater distances to a meeting.