British Speedway Forum

Things not going well for Kent. :unsure:

Gilkes out injured....Spooner out injured....Kemp missing meetings and guests not great!

• Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 9:37 AM, blueherb777 said:

Things not going well for Kent. :unsure:

Gilkes out injured....Spooner out injured....Kemp missing meetings and guests not great!

All the doom and gloom does not seem to stop the Kings from winning and I'm slowly changing from my life-long Hammers loyalty

(only because they are gone) and getting to follow the Kings. Good fighting  team IMO

15 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

All the doom and gloom does not seem to stop the Kings from winning and I'm slowly changing from my life-long Hammers loyalty

(only because they are gone) and getting to follow the Kings. Good fighting  team IMO

They rode well at Mildenhall yesterday in a very enjoyable meeting. 

1 hour ago, East End Fan said:

I was just telling facts??? Kent seem to be losing a rider every meeting...now Ablitt.

R/R for both teams tonight. I can understand it for Kent -- gives their young lands in particular extra track time. But for the 'away' team in a challenge and when it is not even another league team, it does seem odd.

37 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

R/R for both teams tonight. I can understand it for Kent -- gives their young lands in particular extra track time. But for the 'away' team in a challenge and when it is not even another league team, it does seem odd.

I can just about tolerate a challenge match, but not against a made up team, and I'm an ex Wimbledon fan. It's a rare opportunity for me to watch live speedway on the telly tonight.

• Like 1

Was the meeting poor? And what was the rough crowd figure? Must have been financial suicide to put this meeting on.

Kent does seem to have a very loyal fan base who turn out for many of these meetings but full price and RR on both sides of a challenge match was too much for my liking. For accounts there appears to have been some good racing at the front and Jamie Couzins showed how he was unfortunate over the winter with the rule changes whilst O'Keefe is going backwards rather than offering any progression.   

46 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Kent does seem to have a very loyal fan base who turn out for many of these meetings but full price and RR on both sides of a challenge match was too much for my liking. For accounts there appears to have been some good racing at the front and Jamie Couzins showed how he was unfortunate over the winter with the rule changes whilst O'Keefe is going backwards rather than offering any progression.   

Sounds like you did not attend.  I did go and enjoyed the evening.  Very close score line all night and several excellent races in spite a what looked like

a lack of shale. Reasonable size crowd from where I was sitting.  How Sings4speeday can judge what Jamie Couzins and William O'Keefe did when he

was not there is slightly bewildering, but typical of lots of commentators on this forum.  Personally I was impressed with Drew Kemp who looked in a

class of his own.  I was on my way home by ten past 8,

3 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

Sounds like you did not attend.  I did go and enjoyed the evening.  Very close score line all night and several excellent races in spite a what looked like

a lack of shale. Reasonable size crowd from where I was sitting.  How Sings4speeday can judge what Jamie Couzins and William O'Keefe did when he

was not there is slightly bewildering, but typical of lots of commentators on this forum.  Personally I was impressed with Drew Kemp who looked in a

Tbf to S4K, it’s pretty obvious from both of their scores that Couzins did well but O’Keefe definitely did not. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

Whoops "For Accounts" should have said "From Accounts" meaning those who i have spoken to who attended confirmed that the gulf between Couzins and the others was plenty wide enough. Obviously Laker & S.Wooley get exceptions as they have not been full time NL riders but O'Keefe was Kent rider and was being bettered by infrequent visitors which says enough to me (without the confirmation of those in attendance).

Not a bad crowd, not a bad meeting.

Kent does have a good fan base & Len likes to keep them used to going every week, so although meetings like this & against Lakeside are seemingly pointless it does the trick.

I no Len had it a bit slick because of the number of inexperienced riders.  S4S, i think you were spot on with your summary.  One of the r/r was supposed to be Luke Clifton who seemed to have just not turned up!  If you count Clifton there were 8 unattached riders last night, no-one can cause Len of not giving riders a chance!

15 minutes ago, flipper11 said:

Not a bad crowd, not a bad meeting.

Kent does have a good fan base & Len likes to keep them used to going every week, so although meetings like this & against Lakeside are seemingly pointless it does the trick.

I no Len had it a bit slick because of the number of inexperienced riders.  S4S, i think you were spot on with your summary.  One of the r/r was supposed to be Luke Clifton who seemed to have just not turned up!  If you count Clifton there were 8 unattached riders last night, no-one can cause Len of not giving riders a chance!

There's no debating that tracking unattached riders and giving themselves a chance in the shop window is very admirable (and cheap) but it does create a gulf in class in the meetings. Very disappointing that Clifton didn't take part considering he was billed to attend for a long time but anything could have occurred to prevent him riding so until announced won't comment further. I still think these meetings are expensive though with the riders on show, especially as the class difference can be wide. Not checked the fixtures but maybe the Fururama events would be a better bet on off weeks?  

I enjoyed it. Not a bad crowd and some interesting races (albeit often 2 in the same heat!), I was half expecting a run-off for the trophy but then again where would Wimbledon put it!

5 hours ago, Mike.Butler said:

I enjoyed it. Not a bad crowd and some interesting races (albeit often 2 in the same heat!), I was half expecting a run-off for the trophy but then again where would Wimbledon put it!

Down the developers of Plough Lane's throats with any luck!