British Speedway Forum

10 hours ago, HGould said:

May be NDL Matches have to be held on a Saturday and Sunday only - you refer to MX and Grass - that's Saturday and Sunday and occasional Bank Holidays.

Just a thought that would ease pressure on these kids (and some of the older more experienced types have chance to work) in and allow time for study / apprentiships etc, and less stress for parents too.

Might not suit Clubs like Kent / IOW etc but still be room for them in a higher League??

In an ideal world yes. Even if it was Friday + weekends so work after a late night wasn't an issue however the number of stadiums available at the weekends are minimal.  Speedway is the minority sport and lower earner compared to dog racing so is pushed mid week. The only weekend tracks left running in the NDL are stock car venues and even they have to move / accommodate the more financially rewarding events. 

Those that start / move from other disciplines and fly up through the ranks do alright but those who take longer to find their feet must think what have i don at an all too alarming rate.

14 hours ago, adonis said:

Actually a team place in the NL . commits the whole family 7 days a week  . it may only be dad attending meetings , but the impact is on the whole family , mums washing suits and feeding the troops . dad trying to earn a living and clean maintain bikes . just to give the lads a little glimpse of some sort of normal life , no holidays , no weekends off because theres always something needs doing . then theres the team manager who in NL is generally a wannabe asshole who couldn't manage a pissup in a brewery , adding pressure expecting too much . + the back stabbing from other riders , It's not pretty ,,  Lads who have come from Grasstrack or MX must wonder what the hell they have let themselves in for , being used to friendly atmosphere . and encouragemant from other riders . riding when you want and not when you don't ,  and stepping into the cesspit that is the speedway pits !!

Wow ! What a jaundiced view of life in our sport.  Is Adonis an ex-rider ?  Or maybe a present rider ?  He must be to have formed the opinions expressed.

In past years I was closely associated with a promoter/manager and I certainly don't recognise the description of them by Adonis. And "cesspit" for the Pits ?

If that were true, most riders would jack it in I imagine.  I don't make a habit of visiting the Pits so maybe I am wrong ?  Is there anyone out there who DOES

visit the Pits ?

Just now, East End Fan said:

Wow ! What a jaundiced view of life in our sport.  Is Adonis an ex-rider ?  Or maybe a present rider ?  He must be to have formed the opinions expressed.

In past years I was closely associated with a promoter/manager and I certainly don't recognise the description of them by Adonis. And "cesspit" for the Pits ?

If that were true, most riders would jack it in I imagine.  I don't make a habit of visiting the Pits so maybe I am wrong ?  Is there anyone out there who DOES

visit the Pits ?

No He's the father of an Ex rider ..

• Like 1

22 hours ago, adonis said:

No He's the father of an Ex rider ..

Now there's a clue....ex-rider.  At what level ?  The view he has tends to make me think that he was a lower end rider trying to make his

way and finding it difficult.  Then the world would have seemed to be against him, hence the jaundiced view of Speedway life. I'd love to know

the truth..

Now there's a clue....ex-rider.  At what level ?  The view he has tends to make me think that he was a lower end rider trying to make his

way and finding it difficult.  Then the world would have seemed to be against him, hence the jaundiced view of Speedway life. I'd love to know

the truth..

The truth is what you read on the original post  , I have no intention of getting into a debate about what speedway is actually like behind the scenes ,with someone who readily admits his/her knowledge of speedway is what he/'she, sees and hears from the grandstand  , I have been involved in speedway the other side of the fence for more than 30 years , If you don't agree with any of my post , thats tough because theres plenty who do .and who are far more knowledgable than you about what goes on behind the scenes

• Like 2

Great to see Jordan at Kent yesterday, spannering for Drew and helping the lads.

He is a cracking lad and an awesome rider, really hope he gets his head back in the game. But speedway is a sport where any doubts could lead to mistakes and getting yourself injured. So only Jordan will know when it's right to return. I personally hope he comes back this year and helps us win the National League medal he was robbed of last year with mildenhall.

On 8/24/2019 at 9:31 AM, adonis said:

The truth is what you read on the original post  , I have no intention of getting into a debate about what speedway is actually like behind the scenes ,with someone who readily admits his/her knowledge of speedway is what he/'she, sees and hears from the grandstand  , I have been involved in speedway the other side of the fence for more than 30 years , If you don't agree with any of my post , thats tough because theres plenty who do .and who are far more knowledgable than you about what goes on behind the scenes

I bow to your obvious superior knowledge.  I had no idea that the sport was so spiteful.  So when I see riders clearly enjoying each other's company before and after meetings

it must be all a big "front"  How sad.

I bow to your obvious superior knowledge.  I had no idea that the sport was so spiteful.  So when I see riders clearly enjoying each other's company before and after meetings

it must be all a big "front"  How sad.

They smile in your face .all the time they wanna take your place ..... the backstabbers .  speak to any speedway rider and you will hear what they think you want to hear , your'e less likely to hear the truth , than if you were talking to a politician !! .  However speedway in Europe not Poland though  ( and yes I have done a fair bit of that as well ) is the exact opposite .

At NL level there are so many parents involved that it cannot be good for a rider but without them they wouldn’t be there!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GWC said:

At NL level there are so many parents involved that it cannot be good for a rider but without them they wouldn’t be there!

another reason why some of these promising youngsters "Take a break" . They stumble into speedway from other motorcycle sports which  are basicly amateur , MX ,grasstrack , trials , all weekend sport , initially supported by family ,but  when that bubble bursts and  it starts to impact on daddies work and the family budget  , they decide to take a break  , once they are outside the sport they realise what it actually takes to commit to speedway , and it's just too big a hurdle to return

• Like 3

I would say that at Kent the majority of riders there have come through from junior racing so they know what it’s going to take to progress.

Jake Mulford has, I believe come from grass track but you can see he is well organised and already riding lines a lot of more experienced riders at this level won’t.

I’m also wary of comments made that it needs a certain amount of intelligence to become a top class rider.

13 hours ago, GWC said:

I would say that at Kent the majority of riders there have come through from junior racing so they know what it’s going to take to progress.

Jake Mulford has, I believe come from grass track but you can see he is well organised and already riding lines a lot of more experienced riders at this level won’t.

I’m also wary of comments made that it needs a certain amount of intelligence to become a top class rider.

With the greatest of respect the vast majority of youth racing takes place at the weekends which is far easier to balance. There were obviously a lot of extra pre/post race laps completed by some like Rowe/Kemp/Ablitt etc but to say they all know what it takes is a bit far off. Gilkes trod water for a long time before really stepping up a level on a 500 machine, Spooner had terrible equipment until Kent set him up. Clouting has great bikes and crew but very little racing experience and Mulford whilst a natural talent is getting by on a wing and a prayer at the moment. 

Not taking away any achievements by any of these riders (and their families to get them here) but even the most prepared riders like Flint/Bickley/Atkins who have been raised ready for Speedway must breathe a sigh of relief when a season is over. 

15 hours ago, GWC said:

I think it is quite clear that top international riders are very intelligent indeed.  When you hear comments and conversations from riders like Tai Woffinden during

TV interviews, it's obvious that there is an acute brain in there. 

On 8/27/2019 at 11:52 AM, adonis said:

They smile in your face .all the time they wanna take your place ..... the backstabbers .  speak to any speedway rider and you will hear what they think you want to hear , your'e less likely to hear the truth , than if you were talking to a politician !! .  However speedway in Europe not Poland though  ( and yes I have done a fair bit of that as well ) is the exact opposite .

That's the same with most competitive sports. 

On 8/27/2019 at 12:31 PM, adonis said:

another reason why some of these promising youngsters "Take a break" . They stumble into speedway from other motorcycle sports which  are basicly amateur , MX ,grasstrack , trials , all weekend sport , initially supported by family ,but  when that bubble bursts and  it starts to impact on daddies work and the family budget  , they decide to take a break  , once they are outside the sport they realise what it actually takes to commit to speedway , and it's just too big a hurdle to return

Is that what happened to you ?