British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fourentee

Commentator of the Year

On 12/9/2018 at 9:57 PM, Steve Shovlar said:

Congratulations to Dave Goddard. Clear speaker and his interaction wit the fans on live tv with twitter is excellent.

as for King Lynn, you must be joking! Terrible track nowdays.

I am sure that the Kings Lynn award for Track of the Year is from Stock Car fans as it is a superb track for National Saloon Stock Cars and BriSCA Formula One Stock Cars. 

On 12/9/2018 at 8:32 PM, Dave Goddard said:

How about maybe just being pleased that someone involved in your sport has been recognised by the wider motorsport world?

Well done, ignore the old wrinklies on here that have never heard of the channels because they simply are not with it which is much what is wrong with the sport.

Don't know whether anyone has noticed but Dave has won this award again this year and been congratulated by Peter Oakes in Speedway Star.

As well as his DVD and TV work Dave can be heard most weekends, commentating on a variety of motorsport, at various circuits and other venues around the country.

Well done Dave and keep up the good work!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hasbeen said:

Don't know whether anyone has noticed but Dave has won this award again this year and been congratulated by Peter Oakes in Speedway Star.

As well as his DVD and TV work Dave can be heard most weekends, commentating on a variety of motorsport, at various circuits and other venues around the country.

Very informative.

Well done Dave - a worthy successor to the great Dave Lanning - streets ahead (or should I say laps ahead) of those screaming hyenas Tat and Pears!!!

• Like 1

On 12/22/2019 at 2:24 PM, Hasbeen said:

Well done, Dave! Heads down over the winter and shoot for the treble.

Well done Dave.

Well deserved, and hopefully a stepping stone to greater things and maybe even a gig on a mainstream TV station that some of the older generation with their vacuum tube powered black & white televisions can then also enjoy.

So someone in a dying sport gets an award and you have a sap like Richard Weston making stupid comments . This is everything that is wrong with speedway and more importantly, its fans. 

Well done Dave!

• Like 5

obviously this award has been won over a wider range  of work than just the swedish league coverage on free sport but that is all i know him from and for me he completely ruins it with the inane and repetitive tweets from the same inane and repetitive tweeters , if that puts me in with the saps and wrinklies then i have to take that but what has " hello dave can you say hello to my boyfriend " . no problem with that , where is he ? in the navy fighting off somali pirates or with the army fighting insurgents in helmand province ? no he's sat on the settee beside her . vicky butler henderson sax coburg or whatever your f####ing name is you have a lot to answer for . right , i'm going for my afternoon nap. 

• Like 1

Talking about a sports event hundreds of miles away live and with no co-commentator and the need to cover long periods where no action is taking place unfortunately requires a great deal of 'filler'. Well-researched background information can only go so far. At least with the broadcast arrangements having changed in Sweden this year Dave didn't have to cope with lengthy shots from a static camera while domestic Swedish viewers got interviews and discussions in their own language as in the pas.. 

I've done enough commentary of my own in the distant past to understand why Dave relies on social media to fill the gap.The thing is, you can't just read out anything 'juicy' you see on social media. If its inaccurate or defamatory you share the blame and guilt. You have to play safe so sadly it's the rather simplistic comments that get through. Dave from Reading may think Dackarna are going to beat Lejonen by ten points. Personally I'd rather just watch the match and find out for myself, Perhaps the problem lies in the content that people are putting online? There's the challenge. If you care about this then why not raise the standard yourself. Put something interesting, informative and essentially legal or broadcastable online.

Why don't I? I've done more than my share in the past... It's time for others.

Given the restraints he works under, Dave does an excellent job and thoroughly deserves his award again. 

• Like 3

This ^^, he's not wrong.  Used to wonder about the static shots, now we know obvious when you think about it....

9 hours ago, martinmauger said:

This ^^, he's not wrong.  Used to wonder about the static shots, now we know obvious when you think about it....

Yes, it's what's called "International feed". The C-More Swedish version featured a couple of experts standing at a table, talking about the meeting, conducting interviews and with their notes held down by a couple of rear wheel sprockets. Rather than leave the various overseas commentators to try to translate the Swedish the static shot was used. This was why for the long interval Freesports used to carry action from the previous meeting or other motor sport.

This year saw a new arrangement where Swedish TV pulled out and just one version was broadcast. Some interviews were in Swedish but for the matches televised in Britain (and elsewhere?) some interviews were in English. Hence a comment from one team manager, Peter Karlsson "Oh, In English this time?"

When you see something that looks stupid on screen there is often a good reason behind it even if the result is a lot of work for a solo commentator!

There's a lot more to TV presentation that many would imagine.Much of the time it's like herding cats.

Edited by RobMcCaffery