British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
adz_mft

Mildenhall 2019

1 hour ago, AntiqueSteve said:

Like it or loath, call it what you like, if you don't get a decent crowd through the gate you won't make it pay...thus you need a few quality riders to draw in the crowds and to help the younger riders along

What about Armo and Atkin ?...i could mention a few Eastie had,  a lot of people argued Brad W-Dean and Adam Ellis were too good..didn't hear you moaning then ?  

You miss the point totally.

it is about age and development potential.

look where Ellis is now.

Bwd came in on a five ...look where he is now.

8 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Age has everything to do with it.

The league is called National Development League - like it loath it.

I think it should be Division 3 but then I don't make the rules [thank god, some will say].

Drew Kemp is a red herring in this discussion. 

He was too young when he was 14 to ride in the NDL and he was too young to ride in the Championship when he was 15.

Age has nothing to do with it. Its not called National Under 21 League is it? 

Who says the older riders cant develop? 

• Like 1

With Danny on the track and, hopefully, Robert Henry in the pits that is a good team to look after the youngsters. Don't see the point of Wallinger. From what little I know of him, his attitude may have a negative effect, Hope Malcolm can supervise him.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, therefused said:

Age has nothing to do with it. Its not called National Under 21 League is it? 

Who says the older riders cant develop? 

That's my opinion. I, for one, cannot see Danny Ayres becoming a top league heat leader and riding for England; nor Dan Halsey.

Nice enough blokes but not development talent.

17 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

look where Ellis is now.

No..you miss the point totally, I am arguing that we need a few riders like Ayres otherwise the gates will drop, if it don't add up at the gates the NL clubs will close...so what you asking for - no National League to exist ?  

And I think if you are honest Richard you wouldn't be making the case had your club stayed in the league

8 hours ago, AntiqueSteve said:

No..you miss the point totally, I am arguing that we need a few riders like Ayres otherwise the gates will drop, if it don't add up at the gates the NL clubs will close...so what you asking for - no National League to exist ?  

And I think if you are honest Richard you wouldn't be making the case had your club stayed in the league

I don't think we will find any common ground.

• Sad 1

On 12/13/2018 at 8:33 PM, Richard Weston said:

That's my opinion. I, for one, cannot see Danny Ayres becoming a top league heat leader and riding for England; nor Dan Halsey.

Nice enough blokes but not development talent.

I think teams having the likes of Ayres and Halsey is an important part of development so long as teams arent packed with them - one each side is positive

Why? The new/lower guys have to have something to beat in order to progress

Yes perhaps the 2 Dans arent going to go to the top but unless/until the newbies can challenge the likes of those 2 and beat them then there is little chance of progress for those other either

• Like 3

6 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I think teams having the likes of Ayres and Halsey is an important part of development so long as teams arent packed with them - one each side is positive

Why? The new/lower guys have to have something to beat in order to progress

Yes perhaps the 2 Dans arent going to go to the top but unless/until the newbies can challenge the likes of those 2 and beat them then there is little chance of progress for those other either

Completely agree :approve: ……..with one issue. 

Young riders of their level shouldn't be frozen out so they can be accommodated. That, however, is more of a matter of the points limit. 

No-one in their right mind would say that having Jon Armstrong (now well into his 40's) in the NL is a bad thing.

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 3:50 PM, Richard Weston said:

look where Ellis is now.

I don't recall you objecting to Mark Baseby and when Ellis joined Eastbourne he was way beyond NL level - evidenced by  a final finishing tally of 10.98 and the fact that at one point he was topping Poole's averages.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

I don't think we will find any common ground.

No it don't look like we will....we love Ayres..."Mr Entertainment" and we need more of em

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Completely agree :approve: ……..with one issue. 

Young riders of their level shouldn't be frozen out so they can be accommodated. That, however, is more of a matter of the points limit. 

No-one in their right mind would say that having Jon Armstrong (now well into his 40's) in the NL is a bad thing.

I don't recall you objecting to Mark Baseby and when Ellis joined Eastbourne he was way beyond NL level - evidenced by  a final finishing tally of 10.98 and the fact that at one point he was topping Poole's averages.

Funny how he pipes up as soon as Eastie leave the league mate lol

• Like 3

13 hours ago, adz_mft said:

Funny how he pipes up as soon as Eastie leave the league mate lol

Think everyone will echo that.

• Like 1

Going to quite a lot of Mildenhall and Ipswich meetings in 2018, I can confirm that Danny Ayres was certainly one of the bright spots and in my opinion would of done a job for the Witches at the bottom end.

Dannys only been riding League 4-5 seasons, is a top heatleader at NL level and has aspirations to go higher, which I think he still can so I don't class him as a journeyman.

On the other hand Danny Halsey who was a good servant to Mildenhall has been about for 15 years in the 3rd tier is now a journeyman cause he will probably never go any higher. That said hes still a decent enough rider and experienced enough to be of good use to young riders in the League. 

I'm pretty certain that if you had a Mildenhall team with mainly junior league standard riders, you lose a big % of the crowd which would seriously threaten the tracks existence.  

• Like 1

Both myself and my family think it's great you've signed Danny Ayres. You always know you will be entertained watching him ride. Ranging from tantrums to riding the boards (air fence) He always gives 100%, it's never boring with him in a match. He will put bums on seats. A brilliant signing & well deserved team place. Danny Halsey nice guy who can do a good job on his day. So good Mildenhall continue in 2019.

• Like 2

Completely agree about Danny Ayres, probably one of the top 3 entertainers in the business. Personally I do not see any reason

for freezing out ANY rider, no matter his age.  If a rider can score points and win races better than  the next man, then  he deserves

to be in a team.  The young talent will ALWAYS rise to the top, and having to beat experienced riders is VERY good for their development.

No one ever thinks that Arno' should be pushed aside even though he is well into his 40's...He does a terrific job.  And so can many others

who are currently out of work simply because they have reached a certain level.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

Think everyone will echo that.

Speaks the man who has that great prospect Ledwith in his team.

That is truly laughable.

Ledwith storms to become world champion at 50. I can see the headlines. ROFL