British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
adz_mft

Mildenhall 2019

Didn't Craig Cook start racing at 21?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Speaks the man who has that great prospect Ledwith in his team.

That is truly laughable.

Ledwith storms to become world champion at 50. I can see the headlines. ROFL

MY team does not have Ledwith...or for that matter anyone else.  Lakeside is no more sadly.  But frankly, if Ledwith at

whatever age, can beat other riders, he is worth his place.  IF his age stops him from entertaining on the track then get

rid of him.  As a VERY  senior citizen, I have no age discrimination thoughts about ANY active lifestyle.  Good luck to

Ledwith, I say. 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2018 at 6:17 PM, Richard Weston said:

That is truly laughable.

The fans don’t decide who their club signs. Just because Kent have signed Ledwith it doesn’t mean their supporters have to agree with it. 

ROFL indeed. 

• Haha 1

On 12/16/2018 at 6:17 PM, Richard Weston said:

That is truly laughable.

Yawn.......................

On 12/17/2018 at 10:56 AM, IronScorpion said:

Didn't Craig Cook start racing at 21?

John Louis was 29 before he had a go at speedway

• Like 1

On 12/15/2018 at 5:57 AM, Halifaxtiger said:

No-one in their right mind would say that having Jon Armstrong (now well into his 40's) in the NL is a bad thing.

Well said.

• Like 2

However much the powers that be insist on calling it a develpment league, it serves little purpose if all the new riders do is race against each other. They need a yardstick against which to measure their talent. Seniors provide this as long as teams are not loaded with them.

• Like 6

On 12/19/2018 at 8:56 PM, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Too right. When i first saw the tiger ride at Romford in 1970, he was alredy 30. I was just a wee lad at the time!

1 hour ago, cityrebel said:

Too right. When i first saw the tiger ride at Romford in 1970, he was alredy 30. I was just a wee lad at the time!

I was still a twinkle in my dads eye then!

I was lucky that my childhood was Louis Sanders Davey Jolly Lanham etc 

8 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

I was still a twinkle in my dads eye then!

I was lucky that my childhood was Louis Sanders Davey Jolly Lanham etc 

You're just a baby, my childhood was Eric Chitty, Aub Lawson, Cliff Watson, Jack Parker et al

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:56 PM, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Ipswich speedways greatest rider and one of Englands finest, John Louis was born in 1941 and had his first rides on a speedway bike at Foxhall in mid 1969, so he was just 28 I believe!

I'm all for bringing on young riders, that has to be a main aspect of the National League but I disagree with putting a rider in the team just cause hes young. 

Also if riders like Jon Armstrong, Robert Ledwith are still quick enough then their experience can be invaluable to young riders!

• Like 4

23 hours ago, 25yearfan said:

Ipswich speedways greatest rider and one of Englands finest, John Louis was born in 1941 and had his first rides on a speedway bike at Foxhall in mid 1969, so he was just 28 I believe!

I'm all for bringing on young riders, that has to be a main aspect of the National League but I disagree with putting a rider in the team just cause hes young. 

Also if riders like Jon Armstrong, Robert Ledwith are still quick enough then their experience can be invaluable to young riders!

100% agree with the above. The reason any rider should get a place is because they are quick/good enough not because they are young enough. There is an obsession at present with getting riders in as soon as they are 15/16. If they are good enough then i have no issue with it but if they require a little longer to develop then give them the time. 

There is also major issue with 15 year olds being included in league racing and the laws surrounding it that will only become more problematic over time.

• Like 1

On 23 December 2018 at 8:06 AM, East End Fan said:

You're just a baby, my childhood was Eric Chitty, Aub Lawson, Cliff Watson, Jack Parker et al

You must be as old as me!!! Don't forget the man in the picture (left).

A 15/16 year old rider who is quick enough,  and ready for the commitment of League racing will almost certainly get a team place in the NL.

Putting a wobbler not yet ready for NL racing is counterproductive to everyone including the  rider.

Anyway if a promotor has the choice of either an inexperienced 15/16 year old or a 30+ year old  journeyman whos been around for a while who are at the same level, then the youngster will get the team place cause he/she will be seen as  having more potential to improve.

As a Mildenhall speedway regular, I can categorically state that Jon Armstrong has provided some top notch racing at West Row in recent seasons and is renowned for his great experience and mentoring of young riders!

As for Robert Ledwith, he was a tenacious, talented rider in the early 90's in the top 2 Divisions who probably didn't achieve as much as what his ability suggested he would. If hes just half as good as what he was back then, he will serve a useful purpose in next years NL!

Edited by 25yearfan