British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
adz_mft

Mildenhall 2019

1 hour ago, 25yearfan said:

A 15/16 year old rider who is quick enough,  and ready for the commitment of League racing will almost certainly get a team place in the NL.

Putting a wobbler not yet ready for NL racing is counterproductive to everyone including the  rider.

Anyway if a promotor has the choice of either an inexperienced 15/16 year old or a 30+ year old  journeyman whos been around for a while who are at the same level, then the youngster will get the team place cause he/she will be seen as  having more potential to improve.

As a Mildenhall speedway regular, I can categorically state that Jon Armstrong has provided some top notch racing at West Row in recent seasons and is renowned for his great experience and mentoring of young riders!

As for Robert Ledwith, he was a tenacious, talented rider in the early 90's in the top 2 Divisions who probably didn't achieve as much as what his ability suggested he would. If hes just half as good as what he was back then, he will serve a useful purpose in next years NL!

Very interested to hear from a fan who actually knows something about Robert Ledwith. I know little about him so I found your comments interesting. Lots of

criticism has been expounded because he is in his 40's ( I have NO problem with that) and now I know a little about what sort of rider he is/was, I am keen to

see him in action.

• Like 1

Ledwith maybe old in speedway terms but he is determined to get as far as he can with his chance in the NL, he is as fit as a butchers dog & has been to Denmark to get some bikes off Niki Pedersen so he will be on the best equipment he can possibly be on.

Anyone who was at Kent at the end of the season & watched him will no why Len had him signed up pretty quick for this season. 

36 minutes ago, flipper11 said:

Ledwith maybe old in speedway terms but he is determined to get as far as he can with his chance in the NL, he is as fit as a butchers dog & has been to Denmark to get some bikes off Niki Pedersen so he will be on the best equipment he can possibly be on.

Anyone who was at Kent at the end of the season & watched him will no why Len had him signed up pretty quick for this season. 

The comments about Ledwith are getting better and better.

Theirs an infamous incident involving Robert Ledwith and Martin Dugard from Eastbourne in about 1995 on Youtube. Ledwith riding as a reserve for Arena Essex inflicted a shock defeat on Arlington expert Martin Dugard who then would of had one of the highest averages in the top flight. In true Dugard family bad losing fashion, Dugard took offence to this shock defeat by a reserve on his home patch where he was nigh on unbeatable by not shutting off after the chequered flag and taking Ledwith clean through the fence which as one can imagine caused quite a commotion.

This shows how much ability Ledwith had.

I'm sure some posters on here would have been present that evening and will be able to elaborate more!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 25yearfan said:

Theirs an infamous incident involving Robert Ledwith and Martin Dugard from Eastbourne in about 1995 on Youtube. Ledwith riding as a reserve for Arena Essex inflicted a shock defeat on Arlington expert Martin Dugard who then would of had one of the highest averages in the top flight. In true Dugard family bad losing fashion, Dugard took offence to this shock defeat by a reserve on his home patch where he was nigh on unbeatable by not shutting off after the chequered flag and taking Ledwith clean through the fence which as one can imagine caused quite a commotion.

I'm sure some posters on here would have been present that evening and will be able to elaborate more!

Unfortunately and I know it's not right but suppose that's partially why Dugard went on to be a gp winner and Rob didn't progress much further. 

19 hours ago, 25yearfan said:

I had a quick look but could not find. Do you have a link plz

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:04 PM, gazzac said:

Unfortunately and I know it's not right but suppose that's partially why Dugard went on to be a gp winner and Rob didn't progress much further. 

Yes a horrible moment which in reality Dugard should have been heavily reprimanded for but he done it in a way that makes the incident look like it  could  have been accidental!

Like you say that ruthless determination from Dugard that no doubt helped him go as far as he did!

Haven't a link but try typing Eastbourne v Arena Essex 1995. 

2 hours ago, 25yearfan said:

Yes a horrible moment which in reality Dugard should have been heavily reprimanded for but he done it in a way that makes the incident look like it  could  have been accidental!

Like you say that ruthless determination from Dugard that no doubt helped him go as far as he did!

Haven't a link but try typing Eastbourne v Arena Essex 1995. 

Just had another 25 minute search to no avail.

I remember the race at Eastbourne and I think Ledwith was on the fastest bike he had ever ridden,,borrowed I believe from either Leigh Adams or Josh Larson ? Can't remember which one for sure it's a long time ago,,So if he is on good bikes he will do a great job for Kent despite his age..Dugards actions were considered a total disgrace on the day...by Arena fans at least...

6 hours ago, waco said:

I remember the race at Eastbourne and I think Ledwith was on the fastest bike he had ever ridden,,borrowed I believe from either Leigh Adams or Josh Larson ? Can't remember which one for sure it's a long time ago,,So if he is on good bikes he will do a great job for Kent despite his age..Dugards actions were considered a total disgrace on the day...by Arena fans at least...

He spent the whole meeting on Josh Larsen's equipment. Martin's actions were a bit disappointing, it's a fine line knocking somebody off during four laps, but this happened at the beginning of the 5th, after the chequered flag!!!

Edwards will outscore him and it wouldn't surprise me if Brooks does too.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Edwards will outscore him and it wouldn't surprise me if Brooks does too.

Odds on Wally being the first no show of the season? First to fence an opponent? and First to have an own team scrap with Danny Ayres?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sounds like the new people in the chip shop had a disaster at bangers on Saturday. I ve read as much about the poor food as I have about the racing that went on.

• Sad 1