British Speedway Forum
Doners123

Plymouth 2019

I can't understand why the Gladiator fans are not up in arms about last night's debacle. The Plymouth promotion have a good record for calling matches off early when there is the slightest possibility that a match might have to be off due to rain, either recent or forecast. From Monday to Friday this week Plymouth had about 37 mm of rain including 28.4 mm on Monday and 3.6mm on Thursday and 0.6 mm on Friday. The track is situated at March Mills - a clue there as to why matches get called off because of the weather. In addition the promotion have been trying to get new shale/clay onto the track in the last couple of weeks. It must have been clear by Thursday evening that there was no chance to get the track ready for Friday and it should have been called off then. I can find nothing on the Gladiator's web site about why it wasn't called of earlier. I can't even find out from the website how much it costs to get in to see the Gladiator's this season. 

One of the many problems with G.B. Speedway these last few years is the supply of decent quality shale. 

It's my own felling that historical bad debts from various promotions the few Quarrys that have the good shale that tracks need are unwilling to sell it to those "speedway promoters" or just say we've run-out!!!!!

What's now needed @ Plymouth is positive thinking all round, get in an experienced track man, magic wheel, decent shale - whatever it takes to sort the problem out. Plymouth is a potential gold mine if everything is in place..............     

• Like 3

On 6/15/2019 at 12:43 PM, Happy Hunter said:

In the absence of any reply from a Gladiators fan the nearest hotel, which is within easy walking distance of the track, is the Premier Inn at 300 Plymouth Road, Plymouth PL3 6RW, There is also an Ibis a little bit further away at Marsh Mills, Forder Valley, Longbridge Road, Plymouth PL6 8LR. The track itself is situated at Marsh Mills, just off the A38 Devon Expressway, and, if you need it, there is free parking at the Coypool Park and Ride car park (3/4 minutes walk from the track).  Both the car park and track are signposted. I don't know what the admission cost is as I have not been this season (the Gladiators website is silent on this and not much good at all!). As you probably know there are problems with the track at the moment which I hope they can get sorted. There is a history of rain offs (the name Marsh Mills might give you a clue as to why!). If there should be a rain off there are plenty of things to see and do in Plymouth. Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip - at least you don't get any strung out races at Plymouth and the racing is usually o.k.

Thanks for the reply... I've got a room at the Premier Inn now :t: Looking forward to it, if it's off I'd have plenty to do in Plymouth, always a city I've wanted to visit... For some reason, seems like the track is easy to find and the racing will be great... Hopefully it's not off

On 15 June 2019 at 2:02 PM, CountyGround said:

One of the many problems with G.B. Speedway these last few years is the supply of decent quality shale. 

It's my own felling that historical bad debts from various promotions the few Quarrys that have the good shale that tracks need are unwilling to sell it to those "speedway promoters" or just say we've run-out!!!!!

What's now needed @ Plymouth is positive thinking all round, get in an experienced track man, magic wheel, decent shale - whatever it takes to sort the problem out. Plymouth is a potential gold mine if everything is in place..............     

Dependant on what type of shale the track wants depends where you can get it from. Red shale is easily available for northern tracks from an Edinburgh quarry ( weather permitting ). There is a large quarry near Leicester that supply's black shale, the problem for clubs and probably more so for Plymouth is the transport costs which can be more than the price of the shale. Clubs will not stockpile due to tight finances.

There's probably less than six experienced, good track men in the country now as its a dying art. Terry ' the track ' who does Redcar and Birmingham has been used by the SCB to help tracks put their issues right but he is based in the midlands and can only be in one place at a time. 

If you don't invest in your track your wasting your time.

Whilst there have been obvious issues with dust during the season its been fairly clear for the past year or two that the Plymouth track needed an upgrade. However to attempt it mid season was a bold move and only best attempted by very competent track crews and even then it can go wrong (Plymouth are not the first or last to make a mess of it). However i was a little shocked to see the Promotion calling riders out with comments of wrong colour shale for them, too grippy and no passion. There is an air of desperation about Plymouth this year and the harder they force things the worse things seem to become.

Plymouth fans are not allowed to make comments that show the promotion in a not so good way.  You get told off!

I was rebuked for posting the link on the Plymouth forum on Stokes website about the potential changes. Apparently I was spreading unnecessary gossip!  I also felt that a post on Facebook was also aimed at me for posting photos of the track on Friday. You really needed to see it to believe it. I also took some video on my mobile, but only posted to certain people. They only want positive posts, nothing negative, otherwise you are contributing to their downfall. I understand that. Do it properly then we cant make adverse comments!  I have also mentioned, more than once, that the Club website is one of the worst in British Speedway.

When things are good, I am more than happy to post about them. Whilst not happy to do when things are not going right, I do feel it is right to do so. I will continue in that vein. After all, as a paying customer, I feel I should have the right to comment.

I kept my re admission ticket from Fridays debacle,if only for one reason. I am seriously considering my options as to whether I will continue going every week. I dont want my memories tainted by Friday. I want to go on Friday, as its the IOW. They have a promotion that go above and beyond to get things right. I will see how I feel on the day.

I sincerely hope Plymouth have learned a big lesson from Friday. For their own sake.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BobC said:

Plymouth fans are not allowed to make comments that show the promotion in a not so good way.  You get told off!

I was rebuked for posting the link on the Plymouth forum on Stokes website about the potential changes. Apparently I was spreading unnecessary gossip!  I also felt that a post on Facebook was also aimed at me for posting photos of the track on Friday. You really needed to see it to believe it. I also took some video on my mobile, but only posted to certain people. They only want positive posts, nothing negative, otherwise you are contributing to their downfall. I understand that. Do it properly then we cant make adverse comments!  I have also mentioned, more than once, that the Club website is one of the worst in British Speedway.

When things are good, I am more than happy to post about them. Whilst not happy to do when things are not going right, I do feel it is right to do so. I will continue in that vein. After all, as a paying customer, I feel I should have the right to comment.

I kept my re admission ticket from Fridays debacle,if only for one reason. I am seriously considering my options as to whether I will continue going every week. I dont want my memories tainted by Friday. I want to go on Friday, as its the IOW. They have a promotion that go above and beyond to get things right. I will see how I feel on the day.

I sincerely hope Plymouth have learned a big lesson from Friday. For their own sake.

Did the promotion really tell you off for spreading unnecessary gossip... or was it other forum members ? 

Hi Plymouth fans, I'm down in this area on holiday and intend to visit Plymouth for the first time on Friday - Any tips?

Seating arrangements (the missus will want to sit!!) , food ?  parking?

Any thoughts very welcome

Food is great , I recommend the curry , brought in from an Indian restaurant. Don’t leave it too late if you want to sit . Great view from everywhere in the stadium. Parking on site is £1 or free at the park and ride.

41 minutes ago, Jonnybegood said:

Food is great , I recommend the curry , brought in from an Indian restaurant. Don’t leave it too late if you want to sit . Great view from everywhere in the stadium. Parking on site is £1 or free at the park and ride.

Cheers

Can't see a thread for this meeting so I will talk about it here...

Tonight's meeting, although it started a bit disastrously, was great and it was a privilege to be able to visit Plymouth speedway where the racing (eventually) was brilliant... If that is what National League speedway is like then I think I will be making a few more trips to some National League meetings in the near future...

I went to a Swindon meeting yesterday and I have to say, some of the fans around me were horrible to the riders and just in general... But at Plymouth everyone was chatty and seemed to enjoy themselves, considering the circumstances... I talked to a couple of Kent fans on the back straight who seemed pretty regular to Plymouth... So thanks to them for the help :t: Even if yous did try to kill me with your flag pole at the beginning :D

• Like 3

After reviewing updates from last nights meeting, I have been trying to work out whether it is down to the track or down to certain riders. I'm obviously aware that that the track surface; in particular, the smoothness of the surface raced upon but also the amount of dirt and also the consistency of it will depend on how well the riders are able to race and get around - by the way I am not a track curator by any means and never will be but like I say from reviewing updates from last night I have a feeling that we are not able to blame the track solely, when I feel the riders styles have a lot to say based on how well they did considering the circumstances.

To begin - riders that struggled include the likes of Dan Gilkes and Danyon Hume (these names are just used to highlight my point rather than singling them out) Both of which styles, after watching them at various tracks, suggest they are both very throttle savvy and when I say that it means their styles very much depend on the throttle where to them it is only an on and off switch rather than a tool adjusting the amount of power based on conditions. Both of these riders also, of what I've seen,  seem to excel when the tracks seem to be very slick and their throttle savvy style seems to work. 

Whereas - riders that seemed to do well last night including the likes of Adam Extance and Ben Morley. To take Adam Extance to begin he is from a motocross/ enduro background therefore understands the old saying that, "the throttle goes both ways," and therefore at a meeting like last night where it seemed that using your head won you the races rather than the throttle, surely it was their styles that allowed them to do well as opposed to struggling with the track.

As I've said before the riders I've used have been used as an example and I am completely aware that track conditions and the levels of experience, especially within the National league vary greatly but at the same time I believe it is highlighted by the styles and throttle control of the riders - and for me this meeting highlighted m point quite clearly.

please do reply - as this is a topic I've thought about for a while.

See Luke Bowen isnt happy with the track/promotion... 

I was there last night I’d be interested in what he had to say,as for jack Thomas he drove all the way to Plymouth and he never even rode one race,Young Rowe and Jenkins rode it perfectly fine Danyon  Hume rode it fine when he got his set up right,Ben Morley rode it fine and so did his iow colleagues Bowen was in front when he crashed no one near him and he hit the fence by the start finish line which looked like rider errror all the Plymouth boys rode it well and if your saw Ben Wilson’s hands from his crash the night before I do not no how he held on to the bike with the way his hands looked and if the track was that bad there is no way he would have been able to hold on to the bike there was a couple of issues early on granted but then Kent’s track isn’t the greatest so we will see what happens in the last leg,but it was a 4s event and for one rider not to even turn a wheel for his team when his younger less experienced colleagues got on with it isn’t a great advert for the sport.

3 hours ago, Mike0310 said:

I was there last night I’d be interested in what he had to say,as for jack Thomas he drove all the way to Plymouth and he never even rode one race,Young Rowe and Jenkins rode it perfectly fine Danyon  Hume rode it fine when he got his set up right,Ben Morley rode it fine and so did his iow colleagues Bowen was in front when he crashed no one near him and he hit the fence by the start finish line which looked like rider errror all the Plymouth boys rode it well and if your saw Ben Wilson’s hands from his crash the night before I do not no how he held on to the bike with the way his hands looked and if the track was that bad there is no way he would have been able to hold on to the bike there was a couple of issues early on granted but then Kent’s track isn’t the greatest so we will see what happens in the last leg,but it was a 4s event and for one rider not to even turn a wheel for his team when his younger less experienced colleagues got on with it isn’t a great advert for the sport.

I can tell you what isn't a great advert for the sport.

A referee turns up, does a track inspection and immediately demands extensive track work before any racing takes place. The first few heats are run and its clear that that hasn't been enough, with two teams wanting the meeting called off (according to the Isle of Wight facebook page). There is then a discussion between riders, team managers and the referee in which it is confirmed that further track work is needed.

All the time this is happening those on the terraces are standing around waiting, probably wondering why they bother :angry:.

That's not good enough, and what might be :rofl: if it wasn't so :( is that this is from a promotion who angrily dismissed complaints about the state of the track that had been made after the Kent meeting, and were in flat denial that there was anything wrong at all.  This after the absolute shambles against Leicester in mid June. 

Lets face it, Plymouth have gained a reputation here. 

I'd point out that it is rare for a referee to get involved in track preparation. If he does, it was that bad.

It is very rare for NL riders (in contrast to Championship or Premiership competitors) to refuse to ride. Indeed, I am struggling to remember the last time they did it to this extent.

What's also interesting are the scores from this meeting and the one the night before at Isle Of Wight. Plymouth were absolutely dominant, providing 13 heat winners and dropping just 4 points in 16 races. At Isle of Wight, they won just 3 races and Wallinger, Andrews and Extance scored 9 between them from 12 starts. 

I wonder what could have caused such a remarkable turn around ?  

• Like 3