British Speedway Forum
Doners123

Plymouth 2019

We’re you there last night,we’re you  at the iow Thursday? Or are you just part of the Plymouth witch-hunt brigade,who bases there decision on what they read on social media do you want the club to close,as the way a lot of people are going on including you that could happen I forgot stoke in the past Kent still now and a few others in the past have had problems with there tracks but I’m sure they haven’t suffered the same vitriol which has. Been aimed at Plymouth find something else to moan at because surely your getting bored going over the same ground again and again.

12 minutes ago, Mike0310 said:

We’re you there last night,we’re you  at the iow Thursday? Or are you just part of the Plymouth witch-hunt brigade,who bases there decision on what they read on social media do you want the club to close,as the way a lot of people are going on including you that could happen I forgot stoke in the past Kent still now and a few others in the past have had problems with there tracks but I’m sure they haven’t suffered the same vitriol which has. Been aimed at Plymouth find something else to moan at because surely your getting bored going over the same ground again and again.

I dont know of another track anywhere in the country that has had to have the meeting referee ask for track remedial work as many times as Plymouth have recently. There has certainly been 3 times in recent weeks. Last night alone, the referee had to be called into action on 3 occasions.

That suggests,very strongly, that track preparation isnt right.  I honestly feel that since the extra clay has been added, the quality of racing has diminished. Blue groove all the way round and if you come off that, you go backwards. The surface is like marbles,but when it gathers in a burm/rut, it throws riders at all angles. 

I know that some of the riders last night were not prepared to ride flat out as they didnt trust the track surface. Gate and they would try and hold on, but if they didnt gate, they would stay safe.

I for one will not put any blame on them at all.

Bob I no you’ve been there so I take your point but we do not want to lose anymore tracks and as I say if Plymouth keep taking a hammering I could see that happening it’s my team so I’m always going to have a bias it’s not as if we are gaining any advantage from it we’re bottom of the league.its not just Plymouth having trouble look at the top league earlier on in the season everyone was hammering Poole,Swindon and numerous other teams I’m keeping  the faith as I’m praying it comes good but for the good of the sport we don’t want to lose anyone else I hope your well and you keep paying visits to Plymouth and hopefully your next visit will be a belting one but please can we all move on as we could be discussing another track closing if we don’t.

What is it with the Plymouth track this season, there has always been good racing there in previous years.  

I really don't want to see them close (Buxton) but i can't see even there home support lasting with meetings like that.  In the 1st half any rider that tried to race ended up in the fence so it meant riders just riding to survive a race rather than racing, that is not what people pay to see. 

2 hours ago, BobC said:

I dont know of another track anywhere in the country that has had to have the meeting referee ask for track remedial work as many times as Plymouth have recently. There has certainly been 3 times in recent weeks. Last night alone, the referee had to be called into action on 3 occasions.

That suggests,very strongly, that track preparation isnt right.  I honestly feel that since the extra clay has been added, the quality of racing has diminished. Blue groove all the way round and if you come off that, you go backwards. The surface is like marbles,but when it gathers in a burm/rut, it throws riders at all angles. 

I know that some of the riders last night were not prepared to ride flat out as they didnt trust the track surface. Gate and they would try and hold on, but if they didnt gate, they would stay safe.

I for one will not put any blame on them at all.

Lets not forget that the problems started largely because fans were moaning about the dust. Since Mark has tried to rectify this issue it has seemed to cause more problems, mostly for visiting riders!! 

What gets me is why they didn’t do the extra track work before any rider went on track if it was that bad why did riders have to crash before they did it mind you they did that when Leicester went and ended up ripping the complete track up ,tracks have to be race-able   not just rideable 

9 hours ago, Mike0310 said:

Witch hunt brigade ? :D I can say with some honesty I'd make the same comments whichever track it was (and indeed have done so many times).

I don't need to be there to form an opinion on the fact that 'extensive' remedial work was needed before and during the meeting on the referees instructions. It is on your forum and the speedway updates site as well as social media and therefore beyond denial.  

Have you been to Stoke recently ? To their great credit, they have massively improved - something I have commented on, too. 

Plymouth was not a success under Ashley Taylor but I can never remember anything like this - indeed it was one of my favourite tracks and I said so many times, the little place that rode like a big one. That means it is not the track that is the problem, but the person preparing it. 

As to closure, you misunderstand me, Bob C, my pals who used to stand on the first bend and probably many others. We don't want Plymouth to close, far from it. We want them to admit they are wrong and change and I, certainly, would take great pleasure if they did so. Based upon what I have read, though,  that is something that is simply not going to happen. 

Should Plymouth close, I would say you should start pointing fingers a little closer to home. Suggesting that that will be the responsibility  of those who have been critical is a little like a butcher who goes bankrupt after selling rotten meat blaming customers for not buying it. 

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 3

Plymouth is dangerous.. whilst it remains dangerous it wouldn't be a loss if it did shut down.. better that than someone gets seriously hurt... hopefully that doesnt happen and the promotion do something about it but nothing ive seen or read suggests thats going to happen 

How does Nathan Stoneman get a 4.92 GSA?

8 hours ago, mac101 said:

What gets me is why they didn’t do the extra track work before any rider went on track if it was that bad why did riders have to crash before they did it mind you they did that when Leicester went and ended up ripping the complete track up ,tracks have to be race-able   not just rideable 

The referee insisted track work started before a wheel was turned. It did take place,enough to start the meeting.

I have mobile phone footage taken at 20.10,after only three races and several falls and subsequent withdrawals of two riders.It shows two tractors on the track near the pits entrance,one driven by Mark Phillips,the other by IOW Promoter Barry Bishop. They did try to fix it. However riding took place for the next 5-6 races, before we actually saw a pass.by a rider outriding another rather than a track surface induced wobble.

I genuinely used to love the racing at Plymouth. Inside or out, I have seen some brilliant racing over the years. I am sorry to say that since the introduction of the extra clay, the surface and racing have suffered very badly. Rip the whole thing up and get in some proper shale and we could get back to some decent racing.

Terrace talk suggests that the clay has been added so that they can run Quad racing. Apparently, the quads, in a noise test for the council, didnt like the shale surface as the werent able to skid properly. Very short sighted if true. 

I really do not want Plymouth to close. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, arnieg said:

How does Nathan Stoneman get a 4.92 GSA?

Of the 4 league meetings he did, he crashed out of 2 of them! Also remember his excellent start of the season scores were NT meetings. 

• Like 1