British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SPEEDY69

Buxton - epitomy of NL racing?

I dont have an issue with teams dropping down , nobody wants to see the history of the sport lost to the ages , but whats done more damage to the NL is when some teams make it an arms race by paying 3 or maybe times more than the " 10 per point limit" and all the goodies that come with it .. 

In the end all it has done is drive the costs up so teams like Buxton et al go under because nobody wants to go n watch lesser teams get hammered by a team of riders who may have a few riders who double up n some big hitters who still want to compete .. ( im biting my lip )

Lets hope 2020 sees some sanity and common sense in the rules and to an extent the team managers who need to grow a set n play by the rules a little ( still biting my lip ) and the league can lick its wounds n rebuild and halt the decline of losing  clubs  like the past couple of years,

Here by lies the problem!

With the costs involved in buying equipment, maintaining them, fuel, tyres, buying transport, maintaining it and petrol and diesel costs, a rider getting 250 pounds for a NL meeting without sponsorship wouldn't see much profit!

The NL undoubtedly saved Birmingham, Eastbourne, Coventry and Cradley from closure/disappearing completely after losing their tracks, but the adverse effect was that these former higher League powerhouses have pushed up the rates in the NL which has in the last 2 seasons seen King's Lynn Young Stars and now Buxton withdraw because of it!

The modern era 3rd tier has always been a fine balancing act between clubs there for development and those who need to attract a viable crowd to survive, just in recent years this act has gone  up some notches. Hopefully with Birmingham and Eastbourne now in a League more natural to their size and history the NL can become more balanced. If Cradley ever get a new track (fingers crossed!) and the Kent management realise that to grow the club and prevent going stale they will have to move up at some point  then the NL might be even more balanced?  

3 hours ago, 25yearfan said:

Here by lies the problem!

With the costs involved in buying equipment, maintaining them, fuel, tyres, buying transport, maintaining it and petrol and diesel costs, a rider getting 250 pounds for a NL meeting without sponsorship wouldn't see much profit!

That is not a problem ,no other sport pays to learn a trade no matter what the out goings are, you’re not supposed to be making a profit at that level or even breaking even , it’s got beyond a joke, basically anyone can buy a bike and some equipment, string some laps together and now expect to be paid to do it, the league has lost the plot now and Buxton’s demise is the final nail, apart from some rider sponsorship I’m sorry to say I’m done supporting this league now 

• Like 1

Quite agree Dean, but on the other hand I've always taken the stance that if a track attracts a paying crowd then its only fair that the riders get a share of the gate receipts cause they are the reason why fans are paying to watch!

I don't think Dean has an issue with riders getting contributions based upon points scored but no riders in the NL should be looking at turning a profit or realistically even breaking even. It should be viewed as a subsidised hobby and rewarded as such. Ride in it, enjoy it, if you get good it costs you a bit less, if you get very good you can step up to the pro leagues where you might turn a profit. 

Promoters aren't helping the cause either. Persistent calls that the costs are out of control, well get together and actually act upon it, set a sensible points value and stick to it, lure riders with the way you will treat and handle them at the club, the geographical location of the club, the atmosphere of the fans rather than just the non stop increasing of points money.  

16 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I don't think Dean has an issue with riders getting contributions based upon points scored but no riders in the NL should be looking at turning a profit or realistically even breaking even. It should be viewed as a subsidised hobby and rewarded as such. Ride in it, enjoy it, if you get good it costs you a bit less, if you get very good you can step up to the pro leagues where you might turn a profit. 

Promoters aren't helping the cause either. Persistent calls that the costs are out of control, well get together and actually act upon it, set a sensible points value and stick to it, lure riders with the way you will treat and handle them at the club, the geographical location of the club, the atmosphere of the fans rather than just the non stop increasing of points money.  

I don’t have with a problem with any rider riding in the NL as long as a standard pay rate is stuck to, who benifits by paying more ? As with higher leagues there is no bike control so costs spiral but we have set the stall out by paying demands and now it’s expected and quite frankly a joke, instead of a reduced points limit teams should of been made to reduce admission price so they can’t pay more, I see Judas himself has already dumped a team for more money elsewhere, is that really what fans want ?s

8 minutes ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

I don’t have with a problem with any rider riding in the NL as long as a standard pay rate is stuck to, who benifits by paying more ? As with higher leagues there is no bike control so costs spiral but we have set the stall out by paying demands and now it’s expected and quite frankly a joke, instead of a reduced points limit teams should of been made to reduce admission price so they can’t pay more, I see Judas himself has already dumped a team for more money elsewhere, is that really what fans want ?s

Im with you on that 100%. Why cannot promotions see that by throwing money at riders it is killing the sport as a whole and making their own jobs so much harder in the long run. If they stood united, set out the money paid and that was it riders would have a choice sign or not but there would be plenty waiting to take their place. There might be a lull in standard for a couple of years, there would almost certainly be riders confused about how to maintain a bike rather than just buy new constantly but in 10 years time there would still be a NL. By crushing the less financially powerful clubs promotions are crushing themselves as with no teams the league has no value.

It's a real shame what has happened, but in any walk of life once you introduce human beings you introduce a tendency for greed. There will always be those who get round the system. Introduce a set rate and people will be handing out brown envelopes left right and centre. Same in Poland right now. There is the PZM agreed rate for each league and then the "top ups" When the riders aren't getting paid, they go to the PZM and the best they will get is their agreed rate. 

Personally I think anyone looking to be a full time professional in the National League only is wrong. It should be a hobby which also goes someway towards financing itself. But the league has been screwed up for some time. I remember in 2012 a reserve rider at a club "overseas" being paid twice what a number 1 rider was being paid. 

Everything gets ruined when you introduce humans

1 hour ago, THE DEAN MACHINE said:

This is not the first time Judas has done this , and even when he has stuck with the team he chose he only rides when he feels like it , why does he keep getting tem places ? lets start a team Dean , offer him big money m then once all the other teams are complete , say we have had a better offer so goodbye

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, adonis said:

This is not the first time Judas has done this , and even when he has stuck with the team he chose he only rides when he feels like it , why does he keep getting tem places ? lets start a team Dean , offer him big money m then once all the other teams are complete , say we have had a better offer so goodbye

My personal highlight this week was when he was crying about the riders who have got Championship places and he hasn't.......because you are a non improving selfish chump with an ego far greater than your ability.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Im with you on that 100%. Why cannot promotions see that by throwing money at riders it is killing the sport as a whole and making their own jobs so much harder in the long run. If they stood united, set out the money paid and that was it riders would have a choice sign or not but there would be plenty waiting to take their place. There might be a lull in standard for a couple of years, there would almost certainly be riders confused about how to maintain a bike rather than just buy new constantly but in 10 years time there would still be a NL. By crushing the less financially powerful clubs promotions are crushing themselves as with no teams the league has no value.

That will go down well. Speedway fans love something to moan about.

On 12/17/2018 at 8:15 PM, Heathen1984 said:

What rider are you on about with an ego!

The silence is deafening.