British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SPEEDY69

Buxton - epitomy of NL racing?

3 minutes ago, gustix said:

Clever rrrrrsss comment accepted.!!! One has to tolerate your response. I should have phrased my Post better - here's another try:

"I have been on a FACEBOOK short oval car forum (aka stock cars!!).The car track in the area seems extremely pro-active. What is the reason for this difference IN INTEREST between the two motorsport formulas?"

Seeing as you have stated since the late 70s you have hardly attended speedway and have little or no interest in modern Speedway,on what knowledge do you judge there is a difference? 30 minutes of a stock car forum?What is your knowledge of Buxton speedways struggle to survive?

14 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Seeing as you have stated since the late 70s you have hardly attended speedway and have little or no interest in modern Speedway,on what knowledge do you judge there is a difference? 30 minutes of a stock car forum?What is your knowledge of Buxton speedways struggle to survive?

I base my knowledge in regard to Buxton speedway's problems on the basis of the threads that appear on the BSF and on Facebook groups. That is what they are meant for - to keep readers of them informed. I then assess the comments made as that is what forums are meant for - to keep people updated and informed.

As I see it the difference in popularity between the neighbouring Buxton venues is basically that one of them is providing the sporting public with the type of entertainment they prefer. 

I remember in the days when I actually covered Wimbledon in its Conference League era - and attended the meetings! - I asked a Dons' rider where their next away match was. He said, "All the way to B***** Buxton. What a place!"

And so someone who admits they have little interest in modern speedway has taken the time to become something of a Buxton expert??? Rather strange world you inhabit or do you sometimes just tell porkies?

Out of interest (and i may regret this) how many of those involved on the stock forums / FB groups are competitors vs supporters? 

Not sure how many car competitors there are that frequent Buxton on a regular basis but i suspect its far more per event than Speedway competitors. The only "fair" way to make comparisons would be if there were forums from amateur/open speedway meetings where large numbers of competitors opt to compete in.

8 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Out of interest (and i may regret this) how many of those involved on the stock forums / FB groups are competitors vs supporters? 

Not sure how many car competitors there are that frequent Buxton on a regular basis but i suspect its far more per event than Speedway competitors. The only "fair" way to make comparisons would be if there were forums from amateur/open speedway meetings where large numbers of competitors opt to compete in.

I think the basis should be on spectator attendance differences between the speedway and car venues at Buxton rather than related to competitors. The FB groups tend to indicate a balance in favour of the car racing following than the speedway attendances. I ponder why this should be - better entertainment might well be a key factor?

22 minutes ago, iris123 said:

And so someone who admits they have little interest in modern speedway has taken the time to become something of a Buxton expert??? Rather strange world you inhabit or do you sometimes just tell porkies?

TBH you are correct. I have no personal interest in what happens to speedway at Buxton. But as one reads through various FB pages problems in regard to speedway there frequently appear. Off late I have also seen  references that happenings at the nearby short circuit car venue are being well received. That rekindled thoughts about the speedway venue's troubles which appear from time-to-time, hence the Post I made asking why that was the case. 

12 minutes ago, gustix said:

I think the basis should be on spectator attendance differences between the speedway and car venues at Buxton rather than related to competitors. The FB groups tend to indicate a balance in favour of the car racing following than the speedway attendances. I ponder why this should be - better entertainment might well be a key factor?

Providing the spectator numbers are not skewed by those attending with / because of particular competitors then its fairer. Without straight up polls its not easy to determine how many attend due to being fans of each sport rather than to watch certain friends/family members?

However probable large factors for increased interest could feasibly include the additional number of races, flow of meeting, contact between competitors & fewer medical delays after accidents. 

It is difficult to compare like for like.Even within speedway there is less interest in this level. Not even sure there are differing levels in stock car racing like there are in F 1 style with Formula Ford etc.So how do you compare stock car interest with National League?

• Like 1

In the banger, stock car, and hot rod scene Buxton struggles to attract numbers both in terms of competitors (in national formulas) and crowds size compared with more accessible circuits.

So actually the comparison is valid although contradictory to the point Gustix thought he was originally making.

Within both sports, the location restricts both potential competitors and spectators compared to its local rival tracks at belle vue and Sheffield.

• Like 1

I first went to Buxton when the speedway track was inside the stock car stadium. Tight and tricky would be a fair assessment!

10 hours ago, cityrebel said:

I first went to Buxton when the speedway track was inside the stock car stadium. Tight and tricky would be a fair assessment!

The riders had to get off their bikes at then end of the home straight and push them round turns one and two..:D

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

The riders had to get off their bikes at then end of the home straight and push them round turns one and two..:D

Too right they did. Knock the throttle off and coast around the bends!