British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SPEEDY69

Buxton - epitomy of NL racing?

The SDL is the place for wobblers, not the NL. If the standard continues to fall, more tracks will go out of business. I can't see the logic in lowering the points limit, it's like the sport has a death wish.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

The SDL is the place for wobblers, not the NL. If the standard continues to fall, more tracks will go out of business. I can't see the logic in lowering the points limit, it's like the sport has a death wish.

S/MDL is not a place for wobblers, its a place for riders who are honing their skills to get themselves to NL standard. Wobblers should be running in amateur meetings until they are development league standard (i agree there are a few that shouldn't be in there) but there are also plenty of talented and dedicated lads in those leagues and who would appreciate a little more support as they may become one of the many to graduate from them and prosper in league speedway.

8 hours ago, East End Fan said:

I bow to your better judgement, Adonis...but there are so many examples that PROVE the benefits of the National League as it

has been and I simply do not understand the reasoning behind the lowering of standards. And it seems, if the various views that are expounded on this

forum are true, it is NOT the wishes of the N.L. promoters that is being implemented.

I dont think anybody other than the BSPA wants it . not the fans not the the riders  not the Nl promoters ,and if you are to create a league which is purely for the purpose of development , then you have to have a system where the developed riders can go afterwards and get a decent run at it . as it is the gap between NL and championship is too big ,and if you make the step up you will most likely be replaced within weeks by an untried foreigner

• Like 2

4 hours ago, adonis said:

I dont think anybody other than the BSPA wants it . not the fans not the the riders  not the Nl promoters ,and if you are to create a league which is purely for the purpose of development , then you have to have a system where the developed riders can go afterwards and get a decent run at it . as it is the gap between NL and championship is too big ,and if you make the step up you will most likely be replaced within weeks by an untried foreigner

That's my understanding of it.

It is an indictment of the BSPA that they have forced a decision on the NL against the wishes of everyone in that league, a league in which they have no financial stake.

What's worse, its entirely possible that that decision was made for their own selfish interests.

I was very impressed with the Colts team last night but, as I have pointed out on that thread, had the points limit remained the same they could have had Smith rather than Phillips. A younger, less experienced, seriously Belle Vue connected rider has been dumped in favour of someone older, more experienced and with little - if any - connection to the club.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

It is an indictment of the BSPA that they have forced a decision on the NL against the wishes of everyone in that league, a league in which they have no financial stake.

What's worse, its entirely possible that that decision was made for their own selfish interests.

I was very impressed with the Colts team last night but, as I have pointed out on that thread, had the points limit remained the same they could have had Smith rather than Phillips. A younger, less experienced, seriously Belle Vue connected rider has been dumped in favour of someone older, more experienced and with little - if any - connection to the club.

Dissapointing to see young Jack left out , similar with Andy Mellish . with a team like like Colts being a second team . riders who are A , popular with the fans ,B, have some sort of local draw  to put as many bums onseats as possible are needed to help bring people in  , throughout the league there are riders left out who ,were I an NL promoter would be first on my shopping list , and others who have team places that I wouldn't give the time of day to .

Interesting thought...Both Eastbourne and Birmingham have moved upward into the Championship League.  Would they have

stayed in the National League if the points limit had been sensible ?   Maybe that was the motive of the BSPA for making such

a low average ?  Does anyone have any clue about such thoughts?

21 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Its almost like they want to kill off the NL or at least make it so watered down that punters will have to go to watch CL or Prem league for a decent meeting ....   who benefits then ??  Thats right , the promotors who implemented this rule ... 

19 hours ago, East End Fan said:

Interesting thought...Both Eastbourne and Birmingham have moved upward into the Championship League.  Would they have

stayed in the National League if the points limit had been sensible ?   Maybe that was the motive of the BSPA for making such

Think you could be right, if it had been 40+ think both maybe would have stayed. Think it's sad really that we may have seen the pinnacle of the NL in terms of development, but I don't  want open up that argument again, just feel as usual a low points limit can only do harm.

Edited by gazzac

I get why they've done it to make the nl a proper development league. However you can't then have the riders expecting to be full professionals  and pay out bonkers money. Similarly you can't expect fans to pay out £12/£13 to watch it. For me next year somethings got to give. After watching the Wolves again this year home and away i reckon I will carry on with that and obviously watch us but give away meetings a miss for both teams. A shame because I enjoy the away days out but the pennies only go so far

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bruno said:

I get why they've done it to make the nl a proper development league. However you can't then have the riders expecting to be full professionals  and pay out bonkers money. Similarly you can't expect fans to pay out £12/£13 to watch it. For me next year somethings got to give. After watching the Wolves again this year home and away i reckon I will carry on with that and obviously watch us but give away meetings a miss for both teams. A shame because I enjoy the away days out but the pennies only go so far

Well...if the rumours which have been around ever since Cradley re-appeared at Monmore Green , The Heathens pay more money to their

National League riders than any other club...ie  "bonkers money".  Move out of the Glass House.

How the hell have i any control over what the Heathens pay, I said the riders shouldn't be paid to be professional in the nl. That includes ALL riders including the Heathens

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:18 PM, adonis said:

Dissapointing to see young Jack left out , similar with Andy Mellish . with a team like like Colts being a second team . riders who are A , popular with the fans ,B, have some sort of local draw  to put as many bums onseats as possible are needed to help bring people in  , throughout the league there are riders left out who ,were I an NL promoter would be first on my shopping list , and others who have team places that I wouldn't give the time of day to .

Given that with 10 teams in 2018 promoters apparently wanted a raise in the limit, it is ridiculous that with 8 teams it is lowered and inevitably there will be riders unable to gain a team place even if they are most deserving of one.

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:30 PM, East End Fan said:

I think you are probably right - part of the motivation for Birmingham and Eastbourne moving up was the low points limit. It should also be remembered that the rumoured limit was to be even lower. 

My understanding is that the limit was set low to force riders up into the Championship but I believe that to be stupidly flawed. For a start, the best young riders don't need to be forced, they will do it as a matter of ambition. Secondly, it hasn't stopped NL sides from filling their line ups with 'journeyman' NL riders (Ayres, Wallinger, Perry, Wilson, Campos etc -hat isn't a criticism of the riders or the clubs, just of how the policy has failed). Finally, young riders deserving of a place are already being left out (Smith and Lawlor come to mind, but there will be others). 

Simple truth is that NL clubs did not want a reduction and the apparent motivation for it is nonsense. 

16 hours ago, bruno said:

That hasn't worked and it should have been obvious that that would be the case. In fact, we are seeing developing riders forced out and NL professionals getting places. In addition, it is entirely possible that the intention in forcing riders up was to lower costs in the Championship - in other words, the motivation was selfishness. There's a surprise :angry:

No rider in the NL is a full time professional and as for paying silly money I would have thought that representatives of the Championship and Premiership would be the last to lecture about that. In terms of finances, I have no doubt that the NL is in better shape than either of the other leagues.

20 hours ago, raddog said:

Its almost like they want to kill off the NL or at least make it so watered down that punters will have to go to watch CL or Prem league for a decent meeting ....   who benefits then ??  Thats right , the promotors who implemented this rule ... 

Nail on the head.

First of all, very sad to see the epitomy of NL racing Buxton pull out. Understand the reasons, but sad that more couldn't have been done to keep the Hitmen in League racing from the BSPA cause afterall the place has much more scope for practice opportunities than most other tracks in the Country. I hope  the lack of League racing  there doesn't have a negative effect on its practice activities?

As for lowering the points limit, its not natural for a League reducing in numbers to have a lower points limit. Indeed a smaller League should have a higher points to account for the riders left on the shelf by the reduction of teams.

While one of the National Leagues main objectives is as a development League, you still need a certain standard  to make it viable for teams to attract a paying crowd in.

Yes there are journeymen, but these riders can help young riders and like I was touching on above, a team full of wobblers won't attract a crowd. The junior Leagues below the National League serve  the purpose of "blooding" novice riders of whom the better ones will progress higher.

Without the 3rd tier Birmingham, Eastbourne, Mildenhall, Stoke, Cradley and others in the past would of closed, and others wouldn't of contemplated opening up. So this aspect of an affordable League for tracks to come down to in hard times/new tracks to start up in shouldn't be overlooked. 

Edited by 25yearfan
  • Like 1