British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Cliv Clav

Petition For A New Speedway Stadium In Essex

Just now, gustix said:

The sad thing is that opponents of the new speedway stadium proposal are certain to highlight the difference between signatories and attendances. That's reality NOT sentiment.

Maybe but better than doing nothing.

2 hours ago, gustix said:

That's a remarkable amount of signatures to the petition. In comparison I wonder why so many signatories never actually attended meetings?

Speedway fans the world over would want to support the growth of the sport wherever it occurs. As a Sheffield fan nothing would please me more than to see new tracks opening in Essex.... or Liverpool, Bournemouth and Aberdeen for that matter. I suspect many of the signatories are of the same opinion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4thbender said:

Speedway fans the world over would want to support the growth of the sport wherever it occurs. As a Sheffield fan nothing would please me more than to see new tracks opening in Essex.... or Liverpool, Bournemouth and Aberdeen for that matter. I suspect many of the signatories are of the same opinion.

But at basic level - and knowing how council's operate - I think they anticipate the petition will be signed by rate payers and voters from their catchment area. And this petition - with all the goodwill intended by the signatures - is not that. 

1 hour ago, gustix said:

But at basic level - and knowing how council's operate - I think they anticipate the petition will be signed by rate payers and voters from their catchment area. And this petition - with all the goodwill intended by the signatures - is not that. 

Clearly you DON'T know how councils operate. Every council has a department which seeks to attract investment through sport and tourism. If a strong enough following can be demonstrated, councils are duty-bound to support viable initiatives. Thurrock Council says it supports Thurrock's business base, local enterprise, innovation and economic growth which raises the profile of Thurrock as an innovative and progressive place to invest. Through this petition the speedway family is attempting to show that a speedway venue in the town fulfils these aims. Fans of our great sport - wherever they happen to live - can assist in this by signing the petition and expressing their support for a new venue.

• Like 2

You mean councils "operate"!?  I always thought they all stagger on from one hare-brained scheme to another with no joined up thinking!

1 hour ago, 4thbender said:

Clearly you DON'T know how councils operate. Every council has a department which seeks to attract investment through sport and tourism. If a strong enough following can be demonstrated, councils are duty-bound to support viable initiatives. Thurrock Council says it supports Thurrock's business base, local enterprise, innovation and economic growth which raises the profile of Thurrock as an innovative and progressive place to invest. Through this petition the speedway family is attempting to show that a speedway venue in the town fulfils these aims. Fans of our great sport - wherever they happen to live - can assist in this by signing the petition and expressing their support for a new venue.

Well let's hope Thurrock Council do not study how speedway is thriving and benefitting local businesses and people in other parts of the UK!

Edited by Guest